WHY is Verizon always late to the party (and WHY can't Samsung be like Apple)???

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We've now seen both the Tmo and there at&t variant of the S7/S7E receive the Android 7 Nougat update yet the carrier that claims to be the leader of the pack, VZW, is nowhere to be found with their update.

I expect this from a garbage carrier like Sprint but what why is Big Red so damn slow with these things sometimes.

Better yet, WHY does Samsung get bullied around by these carriers when it comes to firmware updates and bloatware on their flagship devices.

Look at Apple for example.... they make the rules and have the carriers conform to them. They control and distribute their own firmware updates and they don't allow carrier-branded software on the iPhones.

Why can't Sammy do the same. I NEVER understood that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Samsung can't be like Apple since Samsung doesn't program Android. They layer it with what they want after they get it from Google. Apple controls 100% of the software on their phones.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
We've now seen both the Tmo and there at&t variant of the S7/S7E receive the Android 7 Nougat update yet the carrier that claims to be the leader of the pack, VZW, is nowhere to be found with their update.

I expect this from a garbage carrier like Sprint but what why is Big Red so damn slow with these things sometimes.

Better yet, WHY does Samsung get bullied around by these carriers when it comes to firmware updates and bloatware on their flagship devices.

Look at Apple for example.... they make the rules and have the carriers conform to them. They control and distribute their own firmware updates and they don't allow carrier-branded software on the iPhones.

Why can't Sammy do the same. I NEVER understood that.

In addition to what Almeuit said,. Apple was the first to market with a smartphone and they were able to call the shots when negotiating. I hear you about waiting. I have the unlocked SM G930u version and I am baffled at not having Nougat already. Sadly, this will probably be my last Samsung because of the way they have handled updates for the unlocked version.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
🗼 In addition to the above commentators. The delay to launch

the expected-Nougat update in the world biggest network

must be for a reason, perhaps waiting for the report

of the first bugs, found by the users in other rival

carriers, but they will push the Update soon..

Re : Samsung has copy a lot of the iPhone features, but when
it comes to Speed up the launch of its Updates is well

Behind compared with Apple,.is due to Google
regulations causing a big Chaos
and lower ratings

Last edited:

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Remember, AT&T took a gamble on apple and it paid off BIG time. That leverage is why Apple still calls the shots. Everyone else has been playing catch up. That margin gets smaller all the time, but it still exists.

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's time for Samsung, also a giant in the tech/phone industry, to start calling their shots as well. This is not LG or HTC or some other low-tier company. We're talking about Samsung here and I highly doubt that any of the carriers will threaten to drop them if they start to enforce their own rules like how Apple does.

They should be testing and releasing the Android firmware once Google gives it to them (bypassing the carriers) and they should not put any carrier branded bloatware in their devices either. JMO

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's vanilla Android. By definition it adds no features.
Yet, it has features I can't get on any other device without custom ROMs or other hacks from third party devs. And more importantly it lacks "features" that (IMO) ruin the experience. Vanilla + Google is so far the best (IMO) execution of features and refinement that we've gotten in mobile.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So you don't like features. That's fine. It is just what I said. Perfect phone if you don't like features. Features may slow. the phone down. May add a ui you don't like. May cause bugs etc. Perfect phone if you don't like added features. I'm not insulting it or you.

I love features. The more the better. Even if they slow things down. I like HDMI connectivity, spen, FM radio, ir blaster etc.second screen, Love em all. Wish one brand had all of them! LOL

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So you don't like features. That's fine. It is just what I said. Perfect phone if you don't like features. Features may slow. the phone down. May add a ui you don't like. May cause bugs etc. Perfect phone if you don't like added features. I'm not insulting it or you.

I love features. The more the better. Even if they slow things down. I like HDMI connectivity, spen, FM radio, ir blaster etc.second screen, Love em all. Wish one brand had all of them! LOL
lol I love features, just different ones than you

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513