The S7 Nougat Update Ruined my Phone

Linda G2

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
I understand there's a display scaling feature that might fix this but it hasn't been rolled out in the US? I need to be able to read my on-screen notifications!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Probably not gonna happen on planet Google but agree it would be nice and make some sense to be able to test drive it a bit first. I think the main reason Google puts out a big new update on a yearly basis is to sell phones and plenty of people play into that scheme, chomping at the bit and can't wait to get the latest and greatest. A more prudent route to take might be to wait for the dust to settle. Check forums and see what others think of it and any issues they may be having. It's been so long waiting for it with Verizon's HTC 10 that I feel I know the ins and outs of it pretty well already. This and playing with a pixel a few times. I was kind of excited about it, but not so much anymore. Not in any hurry to upgrade. MM works great!

On planet Google? Lol :p. To be honest ... can you name a company that would let you just jump back an update? None come to mind for me. iPhone even signs theirs so you can't go back without doing some leg work and even then it isn't guaranteed.

Also how is it a scheme? Google is simply updating their OS to keep up with the times. Would you rather they just sit on one version forever? They simply update their OS and give it to the manufacturer. After that they have to program and push the update for you.. in this case it would be Samsung. I have Android N on my Pixel XL and it works perfect so if you're having issues I would direct it towards Samsung and all their "modifications" versus just instantly thinking it is a pure Android N issue ;).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
WHY DO I HAVE TO SWIPE THE TOP QUICK MENU DOWN TWICE TO ACCESS THE BRIGHTNESS?

Also as far as the brightness bar. You can enable to show on top, with one swipe. Pull the drop down twice, you'll see at the end of the brightness bar a down type icon, tap that, then select the option for show control on top.

Another way to do this is to use 2 fingers to pull the notification shade down. That will bring you to the toggles.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
On planet Google? Lol :p. To be honest ... can you name a company that would let you just jump back an update? None come to mind for me. iPhone even signs theirs so you can't go back without doing some leg work and even then it isn't guaranteed.

The second largest Android manufacturer in the world lets you do it, and yes officially. They even provide instructions on how to do it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah okay :). I learned something today :D.

No worries. Just so you know, Huawei sub Brand Honor also provides roll backs.

Keep in mind it isn't every single software update but they usually provide major ones like N to M rollback

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone even tried the fixes that we mentioned in this thread? There is a fix for notification display size, there's a fix for brightness scroll to be showed with one swipe down.

Linda G2

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
I did check display settings. This does not solve the issue. It appears to e a scaling issue. The condensed display puts too much information in a smaller space. Some phones in the UK (I think) have rolled out an option to choose between standard and condensed display.
Please look into this and reply back.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Also how is it a scheme? Google is simply updating their OS to keep up with the times. Would you rather they just sit on one version forever? They simply update their OS and give it to the manufacturer. After that they have to program and push the update for you.. in this case it would be Samsung. I have Android N on my Pixel XL and it works perfect so if you're having issues I would direct it towards Samsung and all their "modifications" versus just instantly thinking it is a pure Android N issue ;).
A little tongue in cheek. Apple's the same as they all are, as for "scheme" it's synonymous with "business model". We can do all sorts of things with rooted devices, Be nice to have the ability the OP speaks of.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Why should we consumers be forced to update?? I should be able to choose a "do not update Android version". ie, just allow monthly security updates. If we could avoid major updates totally, or at least until a dot one or dot two version is released, some of us who don't want to be on the bleeding edge would be happier with the whole process of updates and owning a product that typically forces updates (wanted or not) onto the consumer.

I have a Note 2 that runs 4.x and it runs everything I want. So for anyone to make a suggestion that one must have the very latest version is to ignore the fact that millions of users are happy with the functionality of their older versions of an OS. Think about how many iPhone users have complained bitterly that Apple ruined their devices with updates, because the update brought the older processors in older model iPhones to their knees. Shame on Apple. Sure, they want to sell more iPhones (as if they are hurting for cash and profit) but that's kicking sand in the faces of their customers.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Why should we consumers be forced to update?? I should be able to choose a "do not update Android version". ie, just allow monthly security updates. If we could avoid major updates totally, or at least until a dot one or dot two version is released, some of us who don't want to be on the bleeding edge would be happier with the whole process of updates and owning a product that typically forces updates (wanted or not) onto the consumer.

I have a Note 2 that runs 4.x and it runs everything I want. So for anyone to make a suggestion that one must have the very latest version is to ignore the fact that millions of users are happy with the functionality of their older versions of an OS. Think about how many iPhone users have complained bitterly that Apple ruined their devices with updates, because the update brought the older processors in older model iPhones to their knees. Shame on Apple. Sure, they want to sell more iPhones (as if they are hurting for cash and profit) but that's kicking sand in the faces of their customers.

Totally agree. We're paying for these devices so why can't we use them on the OS we like. Makes sense to me. Lots of people certainly do have update issues indeed. Laptops are not subject to mandatory updates. We can postpone them as long as we want. Take security updates only if we want. If you find an OS you like and want to stay on it you need to root the phone. But we shouldn't have to take that step.

TPease68

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
OMG!!!! I am quite upset over the last update.

1) Lost my quick contacts at the top of the screen.
2) Color on texts are hard to read
3) Can't find the flashlight....
4) Where did "Ultra Battery Save" go???? I need the GPS so bad and the "Ultra Battery Save Mode" helped A LOT... The new update battery saver does nothing to help conserve power.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

On the unlocked S7, you can defer updates, but you'll be on the last version of the firmware based on the older version of Android.

They couldn't just build a security patch based on an older build of Android because it requires more work. Once you release a new build of Android for a device, it has to be based on that build, due to differences in base code and whatnot.

Sure, you can build a patch for an older build but that just makes more work and will further delay updates should they choose to release both at the same time.

Software is hard. It's not as simple as you think. That's why we should appreciate those bugfix patches.

Kaseed

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I feel the same way. I am very disappointed in this update. I am most angry that I cannot get my message icon on my lockscreen! Im so pissed about it I'm considering moving to an iPhone. ??????

Last edited:

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Updates Are optional. Turn off auto update and ignore reminders.
That said, I'm not that fussed on all the changes

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Last phone I had, ignoring reminders to update wasn't feasible as it was a never-ending process. I hate that we don't have more control over updates. And just where is it said that OS updates are optional?? And where is "turn off auto update"?? Other than in the Play Store, I've not seen that option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463