Samsung Pay never works at Home Depot

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yup. It was scary at first but funny after I realized there was no way I was in trouble. But yeah, the first few weeks it was more time explaining to people that it worked (and watching their faces when it did...). Now I do find a few places where they say it won't work because they think it's Apple Pay.

My barber is amazed every time I pay with my phone on their Square swiper on an ipad. Love that feature and no other manufacturer has even thought of implementing.

you could totally give someone the card number used to pay for the transaction, because as soon as your transaction is complete, that card number is no longer valid. My bank, Bank of America, scrambles every transaction card number and assigns a different card number for every transaction. Very secure - people ask me why bother paying with my phone when it's easier to just whip out the card. They don't understand how secure it is and the extra security it provides.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My barber is amazed every time I pay with my phone on their Square swiper on an ipad. Love that feature and no other manufacturer has even thought of implementing.

you could totally give someone the card number used to pay for the transaction, because as soon as your transaction is complete, that card number is no longer valid. My bank, Bank of America, scrambles every transaction card number and assigns a different card number for every transaction. Very secure - people ask me why bother paying with my phone when it's easier to just whip out the card. They don't understand how secure it is and the extra security it provides.

If I'm not mistaken, Samsung owns the company that owns the patent for MST, so other manufacturers are limited to using NFC or licensing MST from Sammy, which I'm not sure it's doing yet. And yeah, to the best of my knowledge, all mobile payment systems generate a one-time token for each transaction, so no matter which bank you use, as long as it's supported, payments are valid for just that one transaction.

washuai

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had problems at home Depot (some other places) , one also had it work at home Depot. Thanks for the whole chip only Intel.

My current working theory is that it has a harder time working on abused terminals (see DMV) that sometimes have trouble reading regular swipe cards. Rougher people shop at home Depot with less fresh plastic, as well. The person with me had been too impatient for me to take off my case, though probably take just as long as digging in my wallet. Technically they've even just swiped their own card.
I reckon I'll get around to decasing to see if it matters. Usually timing and keeping the phone real still and angle when it will work seems to help, but definitely don't travel without a wallet yet.
I get the does not work here. I think cashiers get more excited about seeing the Samsung pay in action than I do using it.
I agree about security. I like that no one sees as much information on my screen as they do on a physical card. When my card was stolen one time, it was a clerk or employee part of a ring in one or two stores at a mall and every since then I'm paranoid about who is watching during paying with plastic.

Last edited:

Biggmac419

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
Home Depot and Lowes have recently updated their payment terminals (stupidly, IMHO) to forcefully request a chip for credit cards, no matter what. So if your credit card doesn't have a chip, it will no longer work at those locations either if they're already 'updated'.

Since Samsung Pay emulates only the magnetic stripe, the terminal doesn't accept the payment because it wants the chip.

This is not true, our home depot has updated and my credit card without a chip works and so does Samsung pay.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Those of you at a home depot where Samsung pay doesn't work, any chance you can post a picture of the card terminal you're trying it on? Not sure of home depots in other locations have different card terminals than my area (NE Ohio). I haven't been to home Depot in awhile, but it works fine in Lowes.

mgssrs

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Mine works most of the time at Home Depot. But when I return stuff I don't usually bring my receipt because they just look it up by the credit card. Last time I gave them my card to look it up and they said it was not bought on that card. It WAS bought on that card but through my phone. I tried my phone on the card reader and that didn't work either. I had to get a store credit.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
So in Canada I think our terminals are a bit different because we have had tap for a long time. I try Samsung Pay every time and tbh it seems to work about 50% of the time which is starting to drive me crazy.

It just feels like such a fail to swagger up to the terminal all cool and everything only to have it tell you to insert your card for an old fashioned pin entry.

Is it the way I am aligning it or actually tapping?

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Not sure if this is of any help, but it often takes me more than one try even at my local Piggly Wiggly or Food Lion. I think there are timing issues with what the cashier is doing and what I'm doing ... and some operator error on my part I'm sure. So we try a couple or three times and eventually succeed. Often it will be asking for me to input a card or card number, and if the cashier clears the transaction payment and we try again (not running all the items again, just payment) then we'll get it to go. Not sure if that's a similar issue to what you're seeing at Home Depot. Don't have one of them close to me to speak to using SP there.

anon(258826)

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Mine works most of the time at Home Depot. But when I return stuff I don't usually bring my receipt because they just look it up by the credit card. Last time I gave them my card to look it up and they said it was not bought on that card. It WAS bought on that card but through my phone. I tried my phone on the card reader and that didn't work either. I had to get a store credit.

Not sure if this applies to all cards/ banks, but my Chase card was assigned a new card number (i.e., digital card number) for Samsung Pay transactions. Under (or to the left of because it is sideways) my card is "**** XXXX (Last 4 digits for cashier)." So THAT is the card number they would need to look up to check your transaction.

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Not sure if this applies to all cards/ banks, but my Chase card was assigned a new card number (i.e., digital card number) for Samsung Pay transactions. Under (or to the left of because it is sideways) my card is "**** XXXX (Last 4 digits for cashier)." So THAT is the card number they would need to look up to check your transaction.

I believe that's part of the added security of Samsung Pay and Android Pay - not your actual credit card number used, but a new one generated for the digital transaction. What I'm not sure about is how you find out the rest of the card number (the first 12 digits) since SP only gives the last 4. I just checked out my Chase account (linked to that card) and it doesn't give me the SP number when it's been used. So don't know how you'd find out what full number to give to any merchant to look up (or find the CSV code)

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
So just thought of a theory about Canada terminals. Almost all of them are set up for tap or chip insertion or swipe magnetic strip.

If the terminal takes chip (inserted card) then you are not allowed to swipe. ie If you do swipe it will reject and prompt you to insert.

Samsung Pay uses MST (swipe) AND NFC (tap). While Android Pay uses only NFC.

So... If I put my Samsung Pay phone up to a terminal that is both NFC and Swipe is it possible that about 50% of the time it is the MST reading the transaction and thus rejecting wanting a chip inserted?

Android Pay, as of this week is finally in Canada. I'm going to try that for a while and see if it stops failed reads.

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry about necroposting.

Pay is no longer working for me at stores it has worked since the beginning. Samsung suggested deleting and re-adding my card. No luck. I deduced that all of the places I was using it have Verifone terminals that previously weren't accepting chip, but now are set up to do so. If the account says it should have a chip and you don't use it, it declines and you have to start over with the card inserted. Piffle.

Darn inconvenient.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
My card for SP is a chip card from BOA not sure if that makes any difference works anywhere for me, except for a rare occasion like one Taco Bell location they don't except any kind of electronic payment

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
As an update... I have been using Android Pay without one failure. One thing I like about it is I just need to unlock my phone and tap without the need to open the app to pay.

filanto

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I now get notices that Samsung Pay works at HD. I have not tried it yet since I have to reset my bank card since it got a false fraud alert. fun traveling and getting one of those

alex macchia

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site

I had the same problem when I returned mercendise to he. I used my gear s3 to buy the stuff but when I tried to return it it did not work, I had to use the receipt. I'm guessing it's because every transaction the card number changed (somebody, anybody, correct me if I'm wrong). That's kind of inconvenient for me as I purchase a lot of stuff from he and before using Samsung pay, I did not have to keep the receipts because I could just swipe the credit card and they would find my transaction..now I can use the phone/watch to pay but I do need to keep the receipts in case I need to return something and that kind of bothers me..i really hope that they find a fix to this..

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I thought the SP credit card was always the same each time it was used, just different from the number on the real credit card. You should be able to pull up the receipt on your SP app and get the card number from it. It would be nice if SP could build in a 'return' feature.

OracleDba1

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I have been using SP for about a month now.
It mostly works, including most gas stations but one usually has to do the trick where you insert non-mag card into reader to "turn it on" as you get blank card fully inserted bring the already broadcasting SP close to reader then pull out blank card.

Yesterday tried SP at an HD for first time.
Tried two Raw/ogranic/normal SP attempts.
Both rejected.

Tried the blank non-mag insert trick.
That worked!, SP went right through.
It would be great if someone can confirm if this works for them too (or not).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2