I know that people don't generally post in these forums about how great thing are going, but I do read a lot of negative posts about people's experience with Nougat.

I use mostly 3rd party apps - Drupe Dialer, Textra MMS, Chrome Browser, ZUI Lock Screen, and Nova Launcher, to name the main ones. Given that, would this not minimize the potential negative impact of Nougat on my phone? I know some things are inevitable, since it's the heart of the phone's UI, but just reading a lot of the comments here, it seems like using mostly 3rd party apps would minimize the problems. Thoughts?
    03-01-2017 09:46 AM
    Can you be a bit more specific? Aside from the annoying pop-ups you can't disable now (unless you fully disable notifications for an app, which is stoopid), I haven't noticed any major 'negatives'. Granted, I do use Textra and Nova but always have even before the update. My battery does seem to last longer now, but the Battery Monitor app also seems more aggressive on putting background apps to sleep. I did have to go and clear my phone's cache after updating as it seemed choppy at first, but after that, things were pretty smooth. T-Mobile version here.
    03-01-2017 10:51 AM
    Can you be a bit more specific? Aside from the annoying pop-ups you can't disable now (unless you fully disable notifications for an app, which is stoopid), I haven't noticed any major 'negatives'. Granted, I do use Textra and Nova but always have even before the update. My battery does seem to last longer now, but the Battery Monitor app also seems more aggressive on putting background apps to sleep. I did have to go and clear my phone's cache after updating as it seemed choppy at first, but after that, things were pretty smooth. T-Mobile version here.
    I have nothing specific in mind - just all the posts I've seen here about losing customization settings, etc. Just thinking that using mostly 3rd party apps would minimize the noticeable impact in general.
    03-01-2017 10:57 AM
    Mmm... if you could link a post, maybe? I have not seen any customization settings lost, but might be something I didn't use before? The only major things I've noticed are the notification changes and yes, the notification shade and the quick shortcuts there (which are still there, just in a different layout and still customizable).
    Hey I Tried likes this.
    03-01-2017 11:11 AM
    Mmm... if you could link a post, maybe? I have not seen any customization settings lost, but might be something I didn't use before? The only major things I've noticed are the notification changes and yes, the notification shade and the quick shortcuts there (which are still there, just in a different layout and still customizable).
    Anytime there is a major release of any operating system, there are going to be issues for some.

The only way to ensure you can completely minimize the negatives of Android N, and avoid the issues that some people are experiencing, is to stick with Marshmallow.

Or you can upgrade, test it with the way you want to, and if you don't like it, downgrade back down to Marshmallow.
    03-01-2017 12:49 PM