Galaxy s7 Predictive text/typing not working

A

AC Question

My predictive text has completely stopped working on my Galaxy s7. The correct word will show up as the center word under the text box but won't replace the incorrect word. For example if I type "dont" then "don't" appears as an option but does not automatically replace the incorrect word.

I have all predictive settings turned on in my Language and Input settings: Predictive Text, Auto Capitalize, Auto Spacing, and Auto Punctuate

I have tried turning all of those settings off, restarting my phone, then turning them back on but that doesn't work.

I would really like to know if anyone has a solution to this issue.

Thanks in advance!

stacr

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Where do you locate the Keyboard app on the S7?
I found the keyboard under Settings/General Management/Language and Input/Virtual keyboard.
But I don't see an 'App'.

For over a month, after I did the Samsung update, the predictive text stopped working.
I have also tried clearing the cache, restarting, etc, but it still doesn't work...

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Where do you locate the Keyboard app on the S7?
I found the keyboard under Settings/General Management/Language and Input/Virtual keyboard.
But I don't see an 'App'.

For over a month, after I did the Samsung update, the predictive text stopped working.
I have also tried clearing the cache, restarting, etc, but it still doesn't work...

You will find it in settings > applications > 3 dots > show system apps > Samsung keyboard.

If you are looking for the keyboard app in the app drawer, there isn't one for the Samsung keyboard.

stacr

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks LineKill.

Any thoughts on Tim1954's suggestion to force stop...

Force stop the keyboard app, wipe it's cache and try again...

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks LineKill.

Any thoughts on Tim1954's suggestion to force stop...

Force stop the keyboard app, wipe it's cache and try again...
Your very welcome!

Yes, @Tim1954 made a very good suggestion. You cannot clear the cache for the keyboard, but do clear the data. It does not help for every keyboard issue, but it has helped in some cases and is a good place to start.

If that does not help, is the predictive text not working at all or is it working but giving you bad suggestions​?

stacr

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
I cleared the keyboard data & did a restart.
Still not working.

After the Samsung S7 update a month or so ago, the predictive test stopped working. Affected is Google, Yahoo, and other internet sites.

Predictive text works in this forum and texts.
This is very odd and FRUSTRATING ??????

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I cleared the keyboard data & did a restart.
Still not working.

After the Samsung S7 update a month or so ago, the predictive test stopped working. Affected is Google, Yahoo, and other internet sites.

Predictive text works in this forum and texts.
This is very odd and FRUSTRATING 🤤
Ok, you say it does not work with Google, Yahoo and other internet sights. Does this mean the Google and Yahoo apps or Google and Yahoo websites through your browser? Is it only internet sites through your web browser or other apps as well where it is not working?

stacr

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
The internet is whatever is stock with the phone, Samsung I'd guess. It's not Chrome or Safari... Version 5.0.30-60

I just tried Chrome, and the predictive text works there.
But, not on the Samsung Internet....

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
The internet is whatever is stock with the phone, Samsung I'd guess. It's not Chrome or Safari... Version 5.0.30-60
It varies, my phone did not come with Internet, it came with Chrome instead.

Try this, go to settings > applications > internet > storage > clear cache.

If that does not work, try this, settings > applications > internet > storage > clear data. Make sure you sync Internet under your Samsung account in settings before you clear data.

If that does not bring it back to normal, I am at a loss.

stacr

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
I've cleared the Internet cache and restart, no change.
I can't backup my account to Samsung cloud at work, I'll have to try that at home and let you know.
Thank you for the advise.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I've cleared the Internet cache and restart, no change.
I can't backup my account to Samsung cloud at work, I'll have to try that at home and let you know.
Thank you for the advise.

Your welcome, try to have​ a good day at work ☺️

stacr

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Okay, I cleared the internet data after syncing the Internet.
Still no Predictive text with Google and some other internet sites.

And, my saved Bookmarks are gone

stacr

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Okay, I cleared the internet data after syncing the Internet.
Still no Predictive text with Google and some other internet sites.

And, my saved Bookmarks are gone

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
The bookmarks is the reason I had you sync Internet in your Samsung account settings first.

If the bookmarks have not come back yet, go to settings > accounts > accounts > Samsung account > your email and toggle sync internet off and on again. This will bring your bookmarks back.

I believe we may have had a misunderstanding problem and I do sincerely apologize.

If you are having no predictive text with only Google, Yahoo and a few other search sites, you won't. The words appear in the browser itself, and that is how it is designed.
If the predictive text is not working on any web site, then there is an issue.

If predictive text is not showing on Google, Yahoo and just a few other selected search engine sites, but is showing on ALL other websites, you do not have any problem at all, that is how it works.

I hope this clears things up for you.

stacr

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I made sure to sync before I deleted the data like you suggested. I'll have to try that again to get the Bookmarks after work. Fingers crossed I didn't screw it up :-\

Predictive text - correct, it works in most everything except Google, Yahoo, and a few other sites.
But, prior to the Samsung system upgrade a month or so back, it DID work. Have they done something that it now doesn't work? That personally feels like them taking a technological step back. But, if that's the way it is now, then I'll deal with it, but it's not logical on their part.

Thank you so much for the help!

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I made sure to sync before I deleted the data like you suggested. I'll have to try that again to get the Bookmarks after work. Fingers crossed I didn't screw it up :-\

Predictive text - correct, it works in most everything except Google, Yahoo, and a few other sites.
But, prior to the Samsung system upgrade a month or so back, it DID work. Have they done something that it now doesn't work? That personally feels like them taking a technological step back. But, if that's the way it is now, then I'll deal with it, but it's not logical on their part.

Thank you so much for the help!

I am always very happy to help whenever and wherever I can😊

Yeah, the update added a few things and at the same time took a few things away. Some of the changes they made affect people differently depending on their usage. I am overall satisfied with what they have done.

Unfortunately, for you, that is the way the Samsung Internet predictive text is now and there is not much that can be done about it accept learning to deal with it☺

Take it easy and I hope to cya around in the forums!

90Race

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
I am always very happy to help whenever and wherever I can??????

Yeah, the update added a few things and at the same time took a few things away. Some of the changes they made affect people differently depending on their usage. I am overall satisfied with what they have done.

Unfortunately, for you, that is the way the Samsung Internet predictive text is now and there is not much that can be done about it accept learning to deal with it☺

Take it easy and I hope to cya around in the forums!

Just updated and noticed this change too.

Predictive text no longer working for any data cell ie web address bar, data fields on a website etc.

How irritating!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome