Google Assistant Update for S7 (where is it?)

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
May not be the case on all phones, though.

I mean, all phones can listen to the keyphrase when plugged in but only a few can do so with it's not plugged in.

Half of the world can already talk to Siri without turning on the phone.

Hopefully, the other half that uses Android(at least newer Android) can soon do the same.

Boy... that's going to start get annoying pretty soon.

I have both Galaxy S7 and iPhone 7. One thing I love about the iPhone 7 is that i can be in bed and say "hey siri, add rubbers to my shopping list" and Siri can actually hear me from across the room. well, about 25 feet away on my desk, just like my Amazon Echo. This is currently not possible with Google Now because it requires me to actually hit the home button.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Half of the world can already talk to Siri without turning on the phone.

Hopefully, the other half that uses Android(at least newer Android) can soon do the same.

Boy... that's going to start get annoying pretty soon.

I have both Galaxy S7 and iPhone 7. One thing I love about the iPhone 7 is that i can be in bed and say "hey siri, add rubbers to my shopping list" and Siri can actually hear me from across the room. well, about 25 feet away on my desk, just like my Amazon Echo. This is currently not possible with Google Now because it requires me to actually hit the home button.

You do know Google has been able to do that for a long time before Siri right? :p.

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
You do know Google has been able to do that for a long time before Siri right? :p.

wait.. really? from 25 feet away without having to touch anything? :(

right now, I'm at my desk.. my iPhone 7 is on my nightstand 25 feet away.. I just said "hey Siri, set an alarm for 7:15AM" and it just set the alarm... I said the same to my Galaxy S7 and it did nothing.... because stupid Google still hasn't pushed Google Assitant to my S7 yet. :(

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

right now, I'm at my desk.. my iPhone 7 is on my nightstand 25 feet away.. I just said "hey Siri, set an alarm for 7:15AM" and it just set the alarm... I said the same to my Galaxy S7 and it did nothing.... because stupid Google still hasn't pushed Google Assitant to my S7 yet. :(
OK Google does not wake my phone up. Love the way Siri wakes up from across the room. Hoping the Assistant does the same. First thing I'll be checking when it arrives.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
"Ok Google" does wake the phone if you have the settings enabled and are using a launcher that allows for that, and using a device that has the SoC piece enabled.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yes from 25 feet away without having to touch anything. You simply enable Google to be able to unlock the phone with "OK Google" from across the room.

gregorylkelly

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Well, that's because Google isn't going to respond to "hey Siri..." ;)

That being said, you can do this on Android phones with Google Now, and have been able to do it before the iPhone enabled this feature. I was under the impression that Apple enabled it as a response to Google Now having done this for a while.

You have to enable your phone to do this though. It is not setup by default. You have to go into Google Now and go through the settings to enable Google Now to unlock your phone. I have been unlocking my phone with "Ok Google" for a very long time.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have it on 2 different phones. (Zmax Pro and LG G3).

My wife has the Zmax Pro and hers did NOT get it yet.

I have no clue why hers did not get it but both of mine did. She's got the exact same version of Google Play Services/Google app as me in my Zmax Pro

D_Blumen

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
You have to enable your phone to do this though. It is not setup by default. You have to go into Google Now and go through the settings to enable Google Now to unlock your phone. I have been unlocking my phone with "Ok Google" for a very long time.

I've tried that for ages on my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and S7, both Verizon. Even when all the proper settings are checked in Google Now, they don't allow me to wake up the phone when the screens are off and the phones are not plugged in to the charger. Yes, it does work with the charger connected)

Siri, on the other hand, allows me to wake up the phone when the iPhone is not connected to the charger... which makes more sense

:(

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've tried that for ages on my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and S7, both Verizon. Even when all the proper settings are checked in Google Now, they don't allow me to wake up the phone when the screens are off and the phones are not plugged in to the charger. Yes, it does work with the charger connected)

Siri, on the other hand, allows me to wake up the phone when the iPhone is not connected to the charger... which makes more sense

:(

That capability varies with a few factors, settings is one of them. The other two are whether or not the OEM has enabled that functionality on your SoC and whether or not your launcher supports it.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, that's because Google isn't going to respond to "hey Siri..." ;)

That being said, you can do this on Android phones with Google Now, and have been able to do it before the iPhone enabled this feature. I was under the impression that Apple enabled it as a response to Google Now having done this for a while.

Not everyone likes the Google Now launcher. Is that a requirement to get it to work? Kinda lame if so.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not everyone likes the Google Now launcher. Is that a requirement to get it to work? Kinda lame if so.

It is not a requirement; what is required is for the launcher to utilize the proper API's in conjunction with the Google Search Widget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome