09-09-2017 05:50 PM
29 12
tools
    how do I make Google Assistant wake up and unlock my S7? (from screen off, not connected to charger)

I have no problem doing this on my other phone, the LG G5. (which just involves selecting the Trusted Voice option) On my Galaxy S7, no matter what I tried, it would only wake up and unlock the phone if the charger was plugged in. (or if I press the home button first, then say "OK Google" then it unlocks the phone)

Thanks for your help!
    03-09-2017 11:39 PM
    I don't believe Samsung devices feature voice detection when the screen is off.
    03-10-2017 06:14 AM
    You cannot currently do that on the S7 or S7 edge. Only while it is plugged in or on the wireless charging pad. If you want to do it without touching your phone you can setup Easy Screen Turn On and wave your hand over your phone and then say OK Google. That is the closest you can get to hands free operation ATM.
    03-10-2017 06:56 AM
    You cannot currently do that on the S7 or S7 edge. Only while it is plugged in or on the wireless charging pad. If you want to do it without touching your phone you can setup Easy Screen Turn On and wave your hand over your phone and then say OK Google. That is the closest you can get to hands free operation ATM.
    Thanks!

Is this a software or hardware limitation?

Like I said, I now have Google Assistant on all of my phones: Samsung Galaxy Note5 and S7, LG G4 and G5. The LG G5 is the only one capable of waking up via Google Assistant("OK Google") with the screen off and locked and charger not plugged in.
    03-10-2017 08:22 AM
    It's software. S voice will wake it with the screen off and not charging.

The more I use my other phones the more I hate Samsung's lockscreen.
    03-10-2017 09:38 AM
    Thanks!

Is this a software or hardware limitation?

Like I said, I now have Google Assistant on all of my phones: Samsung Galaxy Note5 and S7, LG G4 and G5. The LG G5 is the only one capable of waking up via Google Assistant("OK Google") with the screen off and locked and charger not plugged in.
    Your quite welcome! I do not know why for sure, since some devices can do it and some cannot.
    03-10-2017 09:47 AM
    It's software. S voice will wake it with the screen off and not charging.

The more I use my other phones the more I hate Samsung's lockscreen.
    Oh really? Wow. Sounds like Samsung may have purposely made it so only theirs does it from the lock screen since Google can definitely do this on many other phones.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    03-10-2017 10:04 AM
    Oh really? Wow. Sounds like Samsung may have purposely made it so only theirs does it from the lock screen since Google can definitely do this on many other phones.
    I hope more S7 or Note 5 or Note 7 owners can report back and see if it's just me being too stupid to figure out how to make it work.... (but then again, I had zero problems making it work on the LG G5 )

actually, I need to call my fried who is still using the Note 7 to see if he got Google Assistant on it...
    03-10-2017 04:45 PM
    I hope more S7 or Note 5 or Note 7 owners can report back and see if it's just me being too stupid to figure out how to make it work.... (but then again, I had zero problems making it work on the LG G5 )

actually, I need to call my fried who is still using the Note 7 to see if he got Google Assistant on it...
    Okay, I have this feature active on my G5. Okay Google access with the screen off. My Dad saw me use this and wanted me to turn it on on his GS7 Edge, so I go digging. It's in the Google app settings, with the voice detection settings. Or at least it should be. Samsung has baked this out of their version of Android.

I'm not familiar enough to speak about S Voice. I just know screen off voice activation through Google is not featured on Samsung devices, from my brief experience. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected.
    03-10-2017 04:57 PM
    My HTC 10 has this option with the assistant, but not with the former google now, however even when it is enabled it won't work. For some reason HTC doesn't allow it yet, maybe in a future update, who knows. So bigger question is why some allow it and some don't. To me it is a pretty big loss to not have this functionality.
    03-10-2017 08:23 PM
    Okay, I have this feature active on my G5. Okay Google access with the screen off. My Dad saw me use this and wanted me to turn it on on his GS7 Edge, so I go digging. It's in the Google app settings, with the voice detection settings. Or at least it should be. Samsung has baked this out of their version of Android.

I'm not familiar enough to speak about S Voice. I just know screen off voice activation through Google is not featured on Samsung devices, from my brief experience. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected.
    I sure hope Samsung was responsible for blocking it on my Note 5 and S7. I've been a Samsung fanboy for several years. If they were responsible for blocking it, I may skip the S8 when it comes out. (since I'm now kind of in love with the new Google Assistant working anytime and anywhere on my LG G5)
    03-10-2017 09:08 PM
    If you have to touch the phone to wake it up in order to use this, well, just seems counter intuitive for a helpful and supposedly voice activated assistant. Like having my office secretary asleep in the next room and I have to go nudge her to wake her up first Lol! Just SMH as this assistant continues to disappoint. BTW, secretary , "Your Fired"! I'm about to fire my assistant as well.
    D_Blumen likes this.
    03-11-2017 12:24 PM
    If you have to touch the phone to wake it up in order to use this, well, just seems counter intuitive for a helpful and supposedly voice activated assistant. Like having my office secretary asleep in the next room and I have to go nudge her to wake her up first Lol! Just SMH as this assistant continues to disappoint. BTW, secretary , "Your Fired"! I'm about to fire my assistant as well.
    I wish there was a thumbs down function.
    03-11-2017 12:37 PM
    I couldn't agree with you more.

I've been using Google Assistant to set my alarm on my LG G5. When I get into bed, I just say "ok google set alarm for 6AM" and it sets the alarm without me having to ever touch the phone. (phone not connected to anything) I can also do this with my iPhone 7 via Siri.

Sadly, my S7 has zero reaction when I say anything to it, unless I press the home button first.
    03-12-2017 10:35 AM
    It is quite sad! The best way that I have found is to put it on my wireless charging stand before I go to bed. I know that everyone does not have that option, but thankfully it's an option that some people can take advantage of. I still do not know why it cannot be done on the S7/S7 edge without being in the charger.
    03-12-2017 01:06 PM
    It is quite sad! The best way that I have found is to put it on my wireless charging stand before I go to bed. I know that everyone does not have that option, but thankfully it's an option that some people can take advantage of. I still do not know why it cannot be done on the S7/S7 edge without being in the charger.
    I'm also kind of puzzled as to why AndroidCentral hasn't investigated into why it doesn't work on Samsung S7 phone....
    03-12-2017 02:23 PM
    There are others that don't have this functionality either not just Samsung. HTC 10 is another. Aparently some, maybe all LG's work properly.
    Are all Samsung this way I wonder? I don't see any good reason for it unless it is a huge battery draw perhaps.
    03-12-2017 02:29 PM
    There are others that don't have this functionality either not just Samsung. HTC 10 is another. Aparently some, maybe all LG's work properly.
    Are all Samsung this way I wonder? I don't see any good reason for it unless it is a huge battery draw perhaps.
    The LG G5 is the LG that works... Google Assistant cannot wake up the G4 from screen-off/locked state, no matter what I tried. ...and believe me, I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure it out without any success, so I'm giving up on trying to make it work on the S7, Note 5, and G4 right now.

also, unlike Siri on my iPhone 7, there is a SERIOUS security risk using Google Assistant to unlock the phone by voice from locked state. Siri does not allow full access into the phone... it will answer questions, start navigation, make calls... but won't open email apps or other apps unless the iPhone is locked with my fingerprint. When Google Assistant, it totally unlocks my LG G5. I did a test by recording myself saying "ok google" on another phone. I played the voice recording back next to the G5 and it unlocked... kind of scary....
    03-12-2017 04:27 PM
    Interesting regarding the unlocking. I've gone back to Siri for now until Nougat is available. Maybe it will bring this functionality although doubtful of that. But Who knows? I much prefer android but dang if Siri just doesn't flat out nail it for me. Never thought it would make such a big difference but once used to it, it's hard to accept less.
    03-12-2017 05:25 PM
    Interesting regarding the unlocking. I've gone back to Siri for now until Nougat is available. Maybe it will bring this functionality although doubtful of that. But Who knows? I much prefer android but dang if Siri just doesn't flat out nail it for me. Never thought it would make such a big difference but once used to it, it's hard to accept less.
    I use both Android and iOS.... Google Assistant's ability to totally unlock the G5 kind of scares me. I know I'm being paranoid, but if some one records me saying "ok google" then they can unlock my LG G5 whenever they want.(which unlocks the phone and goes straight to the homescreen) Google need to do what Apple does... Siri's approach is safer by only allowing things that do not post security issues, then requiring the actual fingerprint for more important stuff.
    03-12-2017 05:36 PM
    I like to use both as well. Could be you are being a tad paranoid but we need to be able to do what makes us feel comfortable. Some have said others have said ok google and unlocked their phone so I dunno. Anything I have on my phone that's important enough gets its own unlock code anyway. So even once in there is other security in place. I'm sure most have that for important stuff. Depends on someone's situation a lot to as to who may get access to their phone. I live alone and it's always in my pocket. My friends could care less. I don't think about the security that much. Maybe I should LoL.
    03-12-2017 05:52 PM
    Interesting regarding the unlocking. I've gone back to Siri for now until Nougat is available. Maybe it will bring this functionality although doubtful of that. But Who knows?
    Just to let you know, Nougat does not bring this functionality to it😕
    03-12-2017 06:12 PM
    Due to the fact that it will unlock while charging, plugged in or wireless, I am thinking that maybe it is because of battery drain on this particular device.
    03-12-2017 06:45 PM
    Due to the fact that it will unlock while charging, plugged in or wireless, I am thinking that maybe it is because of battery drain on this particular device.
    on the iPhone 7, I barely notice any difference.... with the Google Assistant being allowed to wake up the LG G5 at anytime(including screen off, unplugged), I also do not noticed very little difference in battery life...
    03-13-2017 04:24 PM
    on the iPhone 7, I barely notice any difference.... with the Google Assistant being allowed to wake up the LG G5 at anytime(including screen off, unplugged), I also do not noticed very little difference in battery life...
    I just cannot think of another reason as to why you can only wake up your S7 with Assistant, when the screen is off, while it's charging.
    03-13-2017 04:43 PM
29 12