Google Photos always shows some files "backing up" at the top of the Photos app. So I went to Accounts>Google and all of the sync items are there except for Photos.

Tried clearing app data for Photos, Google Play services, deleted Google account on my phone, logged back in, turned phone off and on. Photos continues to show it is trying & failing to back up 10 photos.

So I look at my wife's S7 with Nougat and her Google account shows Photos as one of the sync items.

Then I look at my Note 2 and I'm surprised to see that Photos also is not listed in Google Accounts Sync, BUT when I open Photos it does not show any "backing up" message at the top of the app. ie, everything appears normal.

Before I discovered this issue with my S7 Photo app, I had downloaded 7 photos that are attachments to a Gmail email. Because I can't see any visual indication when I click the download icon for the attachment, I ended up clicking on one of them numerous times, so I believe the count was actually 10, the number that Photos shows as "backing up". However those photos do show in Photos!

So, why do two of my phones not have Photos as a sync item in Google Accounts and how can I stop my S7 Photos app from indicating it is "backing up" 10 photos when it can't complete that activity?

FIXED: see post #6
    03-17-2017 11:18 AM
    Google Photos Sync missing from Accounts>Google-screenshot_20170317-091945.jpg

That screenshot immediately showed up in Photos, yet I still get the "10 photos Backing Up" message. Actually, it is now 11 photos backing up, due to the new photo. WTH??
    03-17-2017 11:29 AM
    The problem is the latest version of photos. Thanks a lot Google
    But I should mention I still do not see Google photos as a sync item in my list of Google apps on either of my phones
    03-17-2017 06:47 PM
    To check and select folders to back up, open google photos, press the 3 lines on the left and select settings / back up & Sync / back up folders.
    It might be worth unticking the folder with the problem files and the reticking to see if they will start, also check to see if you have restrictions for when it will back up. Is it set for when charging only.
    03-18-2017 08:28 AM
    All those things I have done over and over and over again. no, not set to back up only when charging. Google sent me a link to a dumb video for iPhones that has zilch to do with my described problem in their forum. I have many hundreds of photos (if not over 1k) in Photos and they are all included, yet the S7 Photos app keeps showing at the top of it's screen that it's "backing up" a few files which never get completed. AND, there are no icons on the photos indicating they aren't backed up. it's a frickin glitch and no amount of deleting data or reinstalling the app helps. bear in mind that on my Note 2, everything is hunky dory.

If I uninstall Photos updates, the older Photos app WORKS PROPERLY, which is why I'd hoped that GOOGLE would help me, but nooooo, they are clueless.
    03-18-2017 12:33 PM
    No help from Google tech support (they "tried"). Today I fixed it myself. Today an update to PHOTOS hit the app store so I installed it. Still had the never-ending "backing up" 11 items message in PHOTOS. I decided to unmount the SD card. Voila, that caused PHOTOS to immediately show it was fully backed up. Then I re-mounted the SD card, and it's still fine. Then I rebooted the phone. Still fine. Seems like that's all it took. Shouldn't Google know some of this stuff??
    LineKill likes this.
    03-30-2017 02:27 PM
    No help from Google tech support (they "tried"). Today I fixed it myself. Today an update to PHOTOS hit the app store so I installed it. Still had the never-ending "backing up" 11 items message in PHOTOS. I decided to unmount the SD card. Voila, that caused PHOTOS to immediately show it was fully backed up. Then I re-mounted the SD card, and it's still fine. Then I rebooted the phone. Still fine. Seems like that's all it took. Shouldn't Google know some of this stuff??
    @1812dave thanks for coming back and posting your solution. That's one of the things that helps and makes this community so great.
    1812dave likes this.
    03-30-2017 02:31 PM
    I has having similar issues with my calendar app (Google Calendar was no longer syncing to the Samsung Calendar). The option to turn on or off various sync settings for my Google account only included App Data, Fit Data, and People Details (options like Sync Calendar, Sync Contacts, Sync Drive, Sync Gmail, etc. didn't exist anywhere on the phone). I attempted to delete and re-add 2 different Google accounts, both of which experienced these missing sync options after being re-added (re-adding the accounts was an attempt to fix the fact that these items weren't syncing anyways).

In any case, dismounting and re-mounting the SD Card solved the issues. The SD card shouldn't have been interacting with these accounts in any way, and the card had been mounted for as long as I had the phone with no issues until today (nothing changed on the phone, changes were made to the Google Account though).

Thanks for the fix! I created this account just to say thanks, as this was a tough one to find info on.
    01-10-2018 01:51 PM