Can I avoid Nougat forever?

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
If I don't ever want Nougat, could I just set to OFF for "Download Updates Automatically", set to NONE at "Schedule Software Update", and never tap "Download Updates Manually" under Settings?

Would this stop my S7 from ever getting Nougat?

[EDIT] Let's not discuss whether I should here, I only want to know if it can be done. Does anyone have a definite answer? Thanks.

Last edited:

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Sadly why you would want to is very relevant to the discussion.

However if you want to bury your head in the sand, insist that the new version is the buggiest ever, claim that its killing your battery, etc, etc (It all has been said about every update ever, on every device)

You can also download samsung package disabler from the play store and disable the appropriate package that handles updates. You should be able to pick it out of the list, I don't know the exact name, because I am not wearing a aluminium foil hat.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
How about if I told you I only wanted to delay the update until the next version of Nougat? As it is, my phone would receive 7.0. I wanted to wait until at least 7.1.

So, would what I suggested stops the update for the time being? I'd rather not download any update blocker, or disable any system app.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
You can, but it takes monitoring. I don't know if it will just download if you keep putting it off though.

There is a lot of people ******** about the update, I am one of them, however it is a good upgrade. Interface is really nice, Samsung really needed a fix on that one. It will keep security updates coming, after the S7 is updated to N and they aren't going to build anymore S7 M security updates. Plus who knows when the next update it's coming. As apps are upgraded to N compatible they might not work very well.

All people do is complain about the changes, they don't ever say anything about the positives. An example. The bad, favorite contacts are not as good. However, the search in contacts let's you look up local number not on your contact list. Might not be new but I didn't have it on M.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Depending on the update, some will be delayed that way and others will allow you to delay a set number of times before just downloading it or removing the option to download.

Delaying until the next one will still require accepting this one, even if only for a few minutes. The ota packages will work to take your system from a to b and b to c but not a to c. If 7.1 is 6 months down the road, that will be several updates to install in order.

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Not sure what phone your phone your on
But on S7Edge it's been a good update so far. Battery is better and over all a better os
I don't like the favorites either but I have the edge program that give me direct dial so not a biggie and the font is small on notifications but I'm getting older so maybe its just me. But it is better and clear system cache after your download and install

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Turn off your phone. Problem solved.

As I had said. EVERY update, ever is hated by a ton of people on these (and all other) forums. Its just a fact of life. Don't let all of the silent happy people go ignored because of the loud unhappy ones. Look it up in the older device forums. People complaining about battery life, their favorite app crashing, slower device, reduced signal strength, etc., etc.

It happens EVERY time. 99% of those problems are solved by a full reset. 7.1 won't be any better. It will have the same noise about the poor quality of the update.

samsung7

Apr 8, 2017
Visit site
With you tuscanybay. I'm afraid I'm going to TAP the wrong option on the daily Nougat Update reminder. Spent an hour trying to find out how to Shut it off, and avoid Nougat for as long as possible. Will post if I find it.

NOTE: I also am not here to debate whether to do it or NOT. Just HOW to NOT update OS.

TickM

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
The thing about getting Nougat or not is of course the fact that Nougat is maybe safer, but on the other hand if I consider all the changes and I compare my S4 with Kitekat to my S7 with Marshmallow, I find it extremely regrettable that Google/Android always has to come up with a complete makeover when it comes to the looks and behaviour that's associated with an upgrade. Can't they just make safety upgrades without each time having to change the way the OS "looks" and behaves ? And I'm not even mentioning all the restrictions that are now implemented in the new versions. All the fuzz that comes now when I want to copy from my SD to intern storage, and all the fuzz with the "overlays".

gwest77

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
samsung7,
If you find out how to do it let me know. I'm trying to find out how to disable auto updates for the moto g4. Have read and have reason to believe going from marshmallow to nougat is causing issues in that phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith