S7 carrier branding

mariusmuntean

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello
Just got my S7 from my mobile operator, and I have a weird situation. I know that the carrier sold S7s are branded and locked on the carrier based on the first SIM card that is inserted before starting the initial setup.
My problem is that I have setup my phone without the sim card in it and now it has been setup to open market no branding and I cannot use volte and wifi calling, things being specific to the carrier branding.
Is there a way to reset it? If I factory reset it, this time with the sim card inside from the start, will it default to the carrier csc and branding?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If the phone is carrier-branded, it wouldn't matter how you set it up (with or without SIM), it would still have the carrier software in it. You can try factory-resetting and using the SIM while setting up, but that will only 'activate' the phone with the carrier (and if, like you say, the phone is SIM-locked to requiring a carrier SIM for first use). If you're missing options like WiFi calling, you need to check with your carrier first to see if they support it on the S7 and if your SIM is activated for it (if you're in the US, you need to have an e911 address on file with the carrier before they can activate you on WiFi calling).

mariusmuntean

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
The carrier does have these services available and the S7 is supported by them, only those with carrier software on them. My big question to them would be how on earth did they sell me an unbranded one??? I just did a reset with the sim card in it, no change, same situation.
Also my account has these services activated.
It seems they sold me an unlocked phone without branding...and while this is supposed to be a good thing normally, in my case it is not quite that :)

DZCALI Khan

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Download phone info app from play store and check what your csc is. Also check which csc is available. Post back and we can guide you through steps to change the firmware on your device

mariusmuntean

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Download phone info app from play store and check what your csc is. Also check which csc is available. Post back and we can guide you through steps to change the firmware on your device
CSC from firmware and active is ROM which is open market Romania. Available CSCs reporte do not include the one specific for orange:ORO
The other thig is that open market Romania got the nougat update, orange romania still hasn't released it yet so I do not know if a downgrade will be possible without breaking knox counter

DZCALI Khan

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
In most cases as long as you revert to stock firmware a downgrade will not affect knox. However there are reported instances where this has not been the case.

My advice would be to keep an eye on Orange updates to the firmware and when nougat is available use Odin to change the csc on your phone and install the ORO CSC firmware.

mariusmuntean

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Just talked with Orange Tech support. It seems they have received from Samsung several batches with open market phones :( so it's is Samsung's fault here. Anyway they have confirmed that they know about this situation and Samsung committed to a SW update for open market Romania to enable the VoLTE and WifiCalling switches in less than a month.
Also they are unable to verify if a phone is open market or not without opening the box because the full model name: SM-G930FZKAROM is the same for Orange branded and open market RO as it seems.
So if anyone here using Orange RO with a GS7/Edge bought from them wonders why they do not have those two features available, this is why.

bibbycu

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
The update for Orange is stil not available. I have a friend which bought an s7 from Orange Romania, upgrading his contract and received the update. I asked him which is the CSC and it was G930FOXX1DQA1 which is for Poland!!! Wtf?! It s 24.03 and Orange stil didn't send the update.