English Voice Dictation Occasionally Changes To French

John T3

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
I have an intermittent problem that has me scratching my head. So, basics to start:

AT&T Samsung S7: SAMSUNG-SM-G930A
Android Version: 7.0
Language and Input
  • English
  • Google Spell Checker
  • Virtual Keyboard -> Gboard (English) + Googl voice typing (Automatic) + Samsung Keyboard (English)
  • Text-to-Speech -> Google text-to-speech (use system language)

Occasionally, when I am dictating, the text output will end up in French, however, it's not consistent. This morning I was dictating a text, got the French output, backspaced it all, tried again, got the correct English wording. I've also had it happen in the Google Voice Search, with similar results.

From the for what it's worth department, my brother got a-hold of my phone at Christmas (it was in a 'Smart Lock', 'Trusted Place') and changed the language. For the life of me, I can't remember what he changed it to; I just hopped into settings and changed it back.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

John

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
When dictating, tap the cog icon for Google Voice Recognition (Settings). Do you have any other languages active there? If so, Google Voice will automatically detect either and go with whatever it thinks you started out dictating in.

John T3

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
So, when I tap my microphone icon and start speaking, I don't find a cog for settings. However, I went into Settings->General Management->Language and input->Text-to-speech->Google Text-to-speech which does have a cog icon->Language setting that was set to 'Use system language' (which elsewhere is set to English). Perhaps there was something residual from my dear, darling Bro dinking with my phone. Changed that to 'English (United States).

Maybe that will take care of the issue. I'll watch and see. Thanks SpookDroid.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37