S7 might be my last samsung

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Washington State just passed a law stating that we can no longer handle cell phones, or anything else for that matter, while driving. Since I drive for a living I need to be able to use voice assistant without touching the phone.
Samsung blocks GA from opening with the screen locked and s voice, while it does somewhat work is not reliable at all, it's junk basically. So I am going to see how well the note is and if they block it, or if bixby is any good by then. Otherwise it's the pixel 2.

Of course, Samsung might actually allow us to use Google Assistant with the screen off. Not holding breath.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Washington State just passed a law stating that we can no longer handle cell phones, or anything else for that matter, while driving. Since I drive for a living I need to be able to use voice assistant without touching the phone.
Samsung blocks GA from opening with the screen locked and s voice, while it does somewhat work is not reliable at all, it's junk basically. So I am going to see how well the note is and if they block it, or if bixby is any good by then. Otherwise it's the pixel 2.

Of course, Samsung might actually allow us to use Google Assistant with the screen off. Not holding breath.

Have you tried
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oid.automotive.drivelink&hl=en&token=Idy9qsA4

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Plug your phone into the charger. Problem solved! Ok, Google only works when the phone is LOCKED IF it's charging. This is something Samsung implemented to save battery when always listening is enabled

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
All my phones work fine in my jeep with Uconnect. Put Bluetooth on, sit it on the wireless charging pad, put the lid down and away I go. We can't use devices here either (Australia). I get messages, I can call ppl, play music and navigate with it. All hands free...

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
If I were you, I would use Android Auto. You can now use it as a standalone app on your phone. The screen stays on and you can use ok Google to make calls and even have it read your messages. That's what I do on my S8 since they block always listening. Plus having Android Auto activated makes it less likely that I'll grab my phone. Everything is easy to control by voice.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Plug your phone into the charger. Problem solved! Ok, Google only works when the phone is LOCKED IF it's charging. This is something Samsung implemented to save battery when always listening is enabled
It is supposed to work when plugged in but it rarely does, and when if it does it only works once. Plus I am not going to be constantly plugging and unplugging my phone to get something to work that should anyway.
Samsung may state they implemented it to save battery but that is a blatant lie. If it were true then svoice would not work with the screen locked. Plus every other android phone doesn't seem to have a battery issue when it comes to assistant.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
If I were you, I would use Android Auto. You can now use it as a standalone app on your phone. The screen stays on and you can use ok Google to make calls and even have it read your messages. That's what I do on my S8 since they block always listening. Plus having Android Auto activated makes it less likely that I'll grab my phone. Everything is easy to control by voice.

Tried it, it doesn't work with our messenger app, nor does it work with our business app that needs to be constantly used.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It is supposed to work when plugged in but it rarely does, and when if it does it only works once. Plus I am not going to be constantly plugging and unplugging my phone to get something to work that should anyway.
Samsung may state they implemented it to save battery but that is a blatant lie. If it were true then svoice would not work with the screen locked. Plus every other android phone doesn't seem to have a battery issue when it comes to assistant.

I can't disagree with you there. Especially when like you say S-Voice works with the screen off and now Bixby Voice does too for those lucky enough to have it right now on the s8

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't have a problem using bixby but I am assuming it only runs Samsung app. can't take notes and have it same to keep. Samsung has a decent note taking app but it isn't cross platform. can't hop on my Chromebook or PC and look them up. that's my biggest issue, not that Samsung has bad apps just that they don't migrate cross platform. sounds like some other os hmm 🍎

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Tried it, it doesn't work with our messenger app, nor does it work with our business app that needs to be constantly used.
So it let's you control it by voice normally? In my experience, every app that works with ok Google normally still works in Android Auto. That's strange. Yeah, looks like you'll need to switch manufacturers.

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
that's my biggest issue, not that Samsung has bad apps just that they don't migrate cross platform. sounds like some other os hmm

If I need my Notes on my Windows PC, I log into icloud.com from my web browser and have access to them. It’s even possible to edit them!

So, you were saying?

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I know it isn't ideal but would one work around be to assign a hot word to s-voice to only wake it up.Then you continue by using GA.

Eg. Assign "Computer" or "Jarvis" to get s-voice to wake it up then once the phone is awake use "Ok Google" to do your tasks.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
If I need my Notes on my Windows PC, I log into icloud.com from my web browser and have access to them. It’s even possible to edit them!

So, you were saying?

Sounds like you are saying to get an iPhone. They only problem is that the app we use isn't available on iOS. So instead of having everyone set up a new iCloud account for work we can just use a free and reliable app that is already logged into all of our devices.

Last edited:

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Thought about that but s voice is to unreliable that I usually have to turn the screen on and manually open it anyway.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't sound like Samsung or Google is your problem..

Actually, Google isn't problem at all. My work Moto z play droid works flawlessly and has for a year. But I had to give it up because I changed position. So does the Moto g5+ I got my mother. They both work without a problem every time. But the camera is so bad I don't want a Moto as my personal phone. But that battery life, oh do nice. And Samsung pay is something I use everyday to I don't want to give up Samsung. That is why I am waiting on the note to see what happens.

Sometimes there is a line where you just have to move on, like it or not. And since I drive for a living getting tickets can cost me my job.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma