I got a software update on Galaxy S7, when it completed I went to check my emails. When I opened the standard "Email" app, I got an alert asking if I wanted to email to be able to "Make and manage phone calls". I immediately said deny as emails shouldn't have anything to do with phone calls.
    However now, my emails on my hotmail account are not syncing, and every time I open my email app, it says "Unable to use Exchange ActiveSync account", and it says I need to allow the "Telephone" permission.

How can I get around this?
    It seems if I setup my hotmail account one way, it asks that my email has permission to "erase all phone data" and more, which is a massive no no for me.
    Then the other way I've been using for years randomly starts asking for telephone permissions. Which to me is just wrong, why can't email just be email?

I've contacted Microsoft as it seemed to be an ActiveSync issue, but they told me to contact Samsung. So I've contacted Samsung, and they've not replied. So can anyone help?
    Thomas_Jones likes this.
    09-16-2017 04:26 AM
    Same problem Galaxy 7s Active. Don't want to give out controls to app updates I didn't ask for. Can't access employer exchange account.
    Thomas_Jones likes this.
    09-17-2017 08:11 AM
    Exact same problem with my Samsung 7 edge after update it wants phone and camera permissions, I don't know why email would need this.
    09-17-2017 03:33 PM
    Exact same problem with my Samsung 7 edge after update it wants phone and camera permissions, I don't know why email would need this.
    So you can dial a number right out of an email.
    So you can send a picture or take a picture to send in an email.

Settings - Apps - Application Manager - goto the email app and set the permissions.
    09-17-2017 05:24 PM
    OK, but what if I don't want to make phone calls from emails? What if I don't want to give the app this permission?
    09-26-2017 11:17 AM
    OK, but what if I don't want to make phone calls from emails? What if I don't want to give the app this permission?
    Just stop using the stupid Email from the software update, try using other apps.
    For example Outlook(Free?), Nine($14.99?).

By the way, if this permission change is made by Google, then stupid Google.
    12-06-2017 07:44 AM