LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
When tapping the Chrome app on my Galaxy S7, this strange message displays:
jveeqjszde.bid says:
Virus warning!
has been infected with
Danger virus!
Click the OK button to scan your phone now.

There are no other options except to click on OK. I have not dared to click on OK as the message looks very suspicious. I cannot see a way to remove/close the warning. It is no longer possible to use Chrome.

There is a URL at the top of the screen but I don't know if it's okay to include the link here. It includes the string of characters plus dot bid/11/3/website.

Does anyone know what is going on? Should I reboot the phone in an attempt to get rid of the message?

I don't have any anti-virus or malware scanning set up. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You did very well not to click the OK as that would have infected your phone. If Chrome was installed by you, remove it. If it was included, uninstall updates, force close, clear cache and clear data if you can. Reboot after doing what you can. Go to Settings, Apps and look for any installed apps that don't look familiar or have strange names. Its just hard to tell whether this thing came in with Chrome or is another app.

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
You did very well not to click the OK as that would have infected your phone. If Chrome was installed by you, remove it. If it was included, uninstall updates, force close, clear cache and clear data if you can. Reboot after doing what you can. Go to Settings, Apps and look for any installed apps that don't look familiar or have strange names. Its just hard to tell whether this thing came in with Chrome or is another app.

As far as I recall, Chrome came with the phone. I went to Settings | Apps | found Chrome, selected "uninstall updates," then clicked on "Force Close" (which I assume is the same as Force Stop). I don't know how to clear the cache. Rebooted, and the "Welcome to Chrome" screen opened. It now opens to a Google search screen. Looks like that solved the problem. Thanks!

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Well, unfortunately, the problem resurfaced this evening. I think I should try an anti-virus app. Can you recommend one or a few (not sure if that's okay here)? Someone mentioned DFNDR but I still need to research it. Any leads appreciated. Thanks very much.

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Sorry that came back. I would not use DFNDR. AVG Antivirus, Kaspersky, Avast, Malwarebytes are all very good.

I've seen AVG at the end of many people's emails, will check it out. We use Malwayebytes on our computers; didn't know it's available for phones too. Why do you say to avoid DFNDR (just curious)? Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to the App Manager, select Chrome, then Storage, then Clear Cache/Data. If it still comes back, then it might be syncing a website from your Chrome settings in your Google account. Open Chrome, tap Menu>Settings>Privacy>Clear Browsing Data, and clear everything "From the Beginning of Time."

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Go to the App Manager, select Chrome, then Storage, then Clear Cache/Data. If it still comes back, then it might be syncing a website from your Chrome settings in your Google account. Open Chrome, tap Menu>Settings>Privacy>Clear Browsing Data, and clear everything "From the Beginning of Time."

I downloaded AVG and did a scan, but that didn't help.

The following didn't fix it: Chrome | Storage, then Clear Cache/Data. When I tried to open Chrome, that strange message took over so I couldn't open Chrome to select Menu, etc.

Next, I started over with what PJRed suggested = in Chrome, uninstalled updates | force stop, rebooted, then cleared cache per your instructions (Open Chrome, tap Menu>Settings>Privacy>Clear Browsing Data, and clear everything "From the Beginning of Time.")

Then I opened Chrome, did a Google search and it worked okay (as happened yesterday). Then I went to Maps, that was okay. Will keep an eye on it and post again if the message displays again. Fingers crossed.

Many thanks for your help. I appreciate it very much.

Stephen Doggette

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
Hello. Thank you for the information here. I started seeing the same "message" several days ago. I followed the steps as shown above and it appears that the problem has been eliminated (for now). If the issue returns, I will report back. Again ... thanks to all of you that provided potential solutions. Cheers.

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Hello. Thank you for the information here. I started seeing the same "message" several days ago. I followed the steps as shown above and it appears that the problem has been eliminated (for now). If the issue returns, I will report back. Again ... thanks to all of you that provided potential solutions. Cheers.

Stephen: Glad to read that this thread helped someone else too. So far, the problem has not returned so I think these guys found the solution.

I believe the problem may have started after I inadvertently clicked on a link in an email and that I thought wasn't an email link (I thought it was a link within a trusted app). The English instructions were in poor English, another indication of mischief.

Last edited:

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Well, darn, it's back. It happened when I clicked on the Weather Bug app. It happened another time when clicking on that app too. Do you think Force Stop would help, or should I uninstall it (and perhaps download/reinstall later)? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's strange, because WeatherBug has had a good reputation for a long time. I agree, uninstall it and see if the problem goes away.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That .xyz number appears to be a recognized malware site. I'm really surprised neither AVG or Avast picked anything up. Do you have any extensions installed in Chrome?

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
That .xyz number appears to be a recognized malware site. I'm really surprised neither AVG or Avast picked anything up. Do you have any extensions installed in Chrome?

I don't know about extensions because I don't know what they are or do. I rarely use Chrome on the phone.

After removing Weather Bug, I did a few more test searches with Chrome, and another one of those messages popped up (below). It mentions the Danger virus, but I don't know if that particular virus is on the phone.virus pic.jpg

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
What websites have you been on when this popup appears?

I did a few random searches. For example, one was to see if a friend's property had sold, I typed in her address and then clicked on the link at Trulia. Then I started another search and the screen switched over to Google, then displayed the screens of the last few searches I had done, plus that new popup mentioning the Danger virus appeared. So I wonder if it's related to Google searches?

coldfilter

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I have just started to get similar warnings! Always occur when I click on external links within Facebook.
I use either Samsung stock browser or Firefox

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I have just started to get similar warnings! Always occur when I click on external links within Facebook.
I use either Samsung stock browser or Firefox

Sorry to hear that. By "Samsung stock browser," do you perhaps mean Chrome/Google?

I don't use Facebook on my phone but clicked on a link shared by a family member. However, that was some days after the problem started on my phone. Am posting this info in case it gives anyone any leads on how to resolve the issue.

Did you try running an antivirus app; if so, which one and did it help?

ticketbabe2

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I don't know about extensions because I don't know what they are or do. I rarely use Chrome on the phone.

After removing Weather Bug, I did a few more test searches with Chrome, and another one of those messages popped up (below). It mentions the Danger virus, but I don't know if that particular virus is on the phone.View attachment 269416
I don't know if this is any help, but from time to time similar warnings pop up on my phone. Once, after going to another device to web search, there were a couple apps known to be infected at the time, WeatherBug & my fave Eric Strong file manager. Deleted, rebooted, gone. Never click on those popup warnings, they will install a virus. Malware Bytes has been my long time antivirus app...unless warning comes from it, I don't trust. If a pop-up freezes my browser, I restart. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12