Hello

Got a weird one.

My Galaxy S7 keeps losing the internet even though the connection to the wifi is strong.

It happens at both work and home which is the two networks i use mostly.

It does not recover and only turning wifi off and on again resolves it.

I read yesterday about turning Bluetooth off in the location settings but that has not helped.

I am at a bit of a loss, any ideas please?

Thanks

Paul
    11-28-2017 04:25 AM
    You are conflating your connectivity to your personal wifi and connecting to the internet.
    Since you are retaining wifi, when this happens, immediately run a Speed Test. You need to isolate the issue.
    Also, go into the settings, see if you are using aggressive handoff from wifi to data. Uncheck if so.
    11-28-2017 09:59 AM
    You are conflating your connectivity to your personal wifi and connecting to the internet.
    Since you are retaining wifi, when this happens, immediately run a Speed Test. You need to isolate the issue.
    Also, go into the settings, see if you are using aggressive handoff from wifi to data. Uncheck if so.
    Thank you for your reply, but i am not 100% sure you understand the issue.

I am using wifi, playing spotify, tuniein, surfing the web, whatever, all of a sudden i have no access to the internet but the WIFI does not drop out. I have full bars of WIFI but a tiny little circle icon which means no internet connection.

No point in doing a speedtest as there is no internet to do it. I know when this happens as whatever i am doing stops due to the lack of internet connection.

When you mention the aggresive handoff, i assume you mean the Smart Network Switch? That is turned off.
    Keep wifi on during sleep is ON as ALWAYS

Does that help you understand?

Many thanks

Paul
    11-28-2017 10:16 AM
    Hi, I see your big picture. Even though you get the circle with slash while showing good wifi, confirming through a speed test is important to isolate the issue to hardware from software.
    If you are truly intermittently losing internet while you have a good wifi connection, and hopefully another device nearby to assure its only you this happens to.
    11-28-2017 10:26 AM
    Hi, I see your big picture. Even though you get the circle with slash while showing good wifi, confirming through a speed test is important to isolate the issue to hardware from software.
    If you are truly intermittently losing internet while you have a good wifi connection, and hopefully another device nearby to assure its only you this happens to.
    Okay, I will do a speedtest, but don't hold out any hope at all.
    When my internet is down but wifi is fine, others in same building or my house have no issues, so it is defo my phones issue.

Now, if My speedtest gives nothing, what is your next idea please?
    11-28-2017 10:30 AM
    Did you select 'Keep WiFi on During Sleep' in the advanced wifi settings?
    Also, take a look at your wifi control history.
    11-28-2017 10:33 AM
    Yes, set for ALWAYS
    11-28-2017 10:34 AM
    Cellular data can be used when wifi is weak. Handoff.

Change channel on router and make sure it is working. Also your modem. Recycle both. I make sure both are on surge protect battery backup. See if there is firmware update for those.

Interference from other devices. Neighbors. Cement walls. Anything.

I added a mesh access point booster to my living room.

Could be streaming service is monopolizing bandwidth? Amazon video will try to.

I had an S5 that I would just have to turn wifi off then back on.
    11-28-2017 10:38 AM
    Cellular data can be used when wifi is weak. Handoff.

Change channel on router and make sure it is working. Also your modem. Recycle both. I make sure both are on surge protect battery backup. See if there is firmware update for those.

Interference from other devices. Neighbors. Cement walls. Anything.

I added a mesh access point booster to my living room.

Could be streaming service is monopolizing bandwidth? Amazon video will try to.

I had an S5 that I would just have to turn wifi off then back on.
    Thank you
    I understand your points, but it happens both at work (I am sat right next to the router) and at home, have WIFI everywhere.
    In both places there is multiple people that have no issues with their phones both Samsung and iPhones.
    11-28-2017 10:41 AM
    It sounds more and more like a application conflict. Try running just one app at a time which is normally running when this occurs. See if it only happens with 1 of your apps. Good luck.
    SifalK likes this.
    11-28-2017 10:49 AM
    It sounds more and more like a application conflict. Try running just one app at a time which is normally running when this occurs. See if it only happens with 1 of your apps. Good luck.
    I Agree, I think it is an app off some sort, time to find what it is lol
    11-28-2017 11:03 AM
    So did you find what the issue was?
    01-25-2018 04:14 PM
    Exactly the same issue and symptoms here i have been suffering with this problem for 6 months
    01-30-2018 10:41 AM
    Finally found a solution: I have changed my router's mtu value from 1492 to 1468 ( yeahh just after I have asked the question )
    01-30-2018 01:24 PM