why does my VZW s7 batteru drain so quickly?

Seth Mishne

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I cannot for the life for me figure out why my battery life is so horrible. I try to turn off a lot of the battery draining settings on my phone. it seems like that no matter what i do i still have to charge at least 2 to 3 times a day. I want a phone that I can make it through most of the day with and not have to worry about my battery not lasting on my phone. I was checking my battery life in my settings and it said I was at 2% after 6 hours and I noticed that i only get about 2 hours of screen life is that normal battery life. I will attach some screenshots to see if anyone has a idea about my battery. can someone please help me fix my battery drain as i am tired of my battery not lasting me a whole day.Screenshot_20180120-171344.jpgScreenshot_20180120-195421.jpg

turbochgd

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
From your stats looks like your Chrome app is using a lot of battery. I'd recommend disabling it temporarily and trying another browser to see how it stacks up for battery usage.

Also your Facebook is using a bunch as well. You would be surprised at how a alternative app like Facebook Lite or my favorite Swipe can save battery. Using either of those programs you'll also be able to get rid of FB Messenger as they both have that capability built in... yet even more battery savings.

There are other things you can do, but they would be my first suggestions.

Seth Mishne

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I like the Facebook and messenger app so I am not getting rid of them. What does android system and android os mean in regards to the high battery drain. Is there anything I can do to save battery life.

Seth Mishne

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Here is another screenshot of my battery life. I cannot believe that I am at 66% after 2 hours. I should not have drained that much battery in 2 hours. I wish I could do something to improve my battery life as it is horrible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180121-104132.jpg
    Screenshot_20180121-104132.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 21

I_didnt_do_it

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
That last screenshot isn t showing anything that looks like a big battery killer. The other ones showed Facebook and chrome eating a pretty good chunk of battery. There are Facebook alternatives that are lighter on your resources, and far less battery sapping. Many even support messaging in the app so you don't have to use a separate app for messaging.

Perhaps try downloading GSam and see what it shows. Do you use battery saving? It looks to me like the battery is perhaps bum.

Seth Mishne

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I installed GSam but i don't know if it will do much for me since my device is not rooted at all. I never use battery saving because I did not pay a lot of money for a phone to not be able to use all of the features of it. I don't remember what my battery life was like when I got my phone in may of 2016 but I still feel like it was not great then either. so do you think there is a problem with my phone? I am not doing a factory reset at all as I don't know if it will make anything better and besides i will have to spend time setting up my phone again which i would rather not do at all.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You mentioned being at 2%, and your screenshots also show very low charge levels.

Do you regularly let your battery go that low, especially below 20%? If so, my guess is your battery is shot. Being nearly two years old, it's getting up there in age as it is, but lithium batteries are not designed to handle deep discharges like that. Regularly going below 20% will kill them relatively quickly. As a side note, keeping them above 75% can hurt as well, just not as much (and this is referring to the charge level of the battery regardless of if it's plugged in). Another common symptom of a bad battery is immediate powering off before reaching 0%, without the shutdown process as if you pulled the battery, and sometimes erratic or long charging times needed.

Given the age of the phone, I think it's due for a battery either way, but I'm thinking that's the root of your problem anyway.

Seth Mishne

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I never let my phone get that low unless I am nowhere near a place to charge my phone. I don't think mine shuts down before 0%. I think my phone has always not had great battery life. But my battery life is better than my previous phones the s5 and s3 and they didn't have the best battery life either. At least my phone lasts past lunch

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's still quite common for users to deep discharge their batteries, and the info in your first post indicated you may be doing the same. That's why I went with that line of thinking.

I do still stick to my last statement, though, in that your battery is getting up there in age and probably have lost noticeable capacity even without abusing it. Personally, I'd replace it as general maintenance and go from there if the problem persists.

Seth Mishne

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Here is another screenshot of my battery life. I cannot believe that I am already at 52% after unplugging my phone close to 6 am this morning. This does not seem right as I just did a little but of internet surfing and Facebook no games this morning. How can help my battery last longer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180122-083243.jpg
    Screenshot_20180122-083243.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 13

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Here is another screenshot of my battery life. I cannot believe that I am already at 52% after unplugging my phone close to 6 am this morning. This does not seem right as I just did a little but of internet surfing and Facebook no games this morning. How can help my battery last longer.

What software version are you running?
Also BT is on, perhaps that is draining battery?

turbochgd

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Some version of nougat. I need Bluetooth because I have a smart watch and headphones.

I've had very good results using BK Disabler (disable bloatware and other stuff), and Greenify. Try that and see how you're doing. Also turn your location setting to battery saving, and lower your screen brightness.

Seth Mishne

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
What only 3 hours remaining and I have only been unplugged for a little over an hour. Something does not seem right here. My battery should not be draining this fast at all. There must be something I can do to help my battery last longer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180126-084404.jpg
    Screenshot_20180126-084404.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 12

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
GSAM and Greenify does not require root. All you need is a Windows desktop with ADB installed to give them deeper level permissions without root.

Other than that, I think it's just battery age.

Download Charge Cycle Counter and see how many charge cycles your phone has done. If it's around nearly or past a 1000, it's likely starting to deteriorate.