Apps uninstalling automatically after moving to SD

Mascher22

Nov 27, 2017
Visit site
I have the Samsung Galaxy S7 and I'm experiencing a problem with apps uninstalling themselves automatically after I move them to SD storage.
My phone memory is nearly full so when I try to move installed apps to my SD card they initially appear as though they've been moved successfully and seem to function properly but at some point (usually within 12 hrs or so) each app I've "moved" seems to uninstall itself, leaving behind a black & white ghost of an icon in my launcher (I use Nova Launcher for my desktop).
When I try any B&W icon nothing happens, when I check my app list the app icon is gone, and when I go to Google Play it appears as though the app hasn't been installed at all.
I have noticed that after reinstalling apps that were automatically uninstalled, user settings and account information are still in tact for most apps.
I first noticed that apps were being automatically uninstalled after I installed a 3rd party app to easily manage & view where apps are installed (because the Android OS doesn't!). After uninstalling the initial app manager, I tried several others and realized that some report my SD storage as being shared by the OS but others show it as separate physical storage.
By now I've uninstalled any 3rd party app management apps but when I use the stock Android app list to move installed apps to SD, I still find that they uninstall themselves, as I explained above.
Any help with this would be appreciated. I'm frustrated that a feature that is intended to conveniently free up phone memory is really more of a nuisance and not a convenience at all.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I installed a 3rd party app to easily manage & view where apps are installed (because the Android OS doesn't!).
Because Android was never intended to run apps that had pieces moved to the SD card. (You don't actually move the entire app, you move pieces, each of which leaves a little link in internal storage. Android looks for apps [and all their parts] in internal storage]].) There used to be warnings about moving apps to the SD card - I guess Google got tired of being ignored, so they stopped the warnings. (It's usually the app developers who get the complaints when it doesn't work, anyway.)

After uninstalling the initial app manager, I tried several others and realized that some report my SD storage as being shared by the OS but others show it as separate physical storage.
Because the app probably made some changes that weren't "unmade" when you uninstalled it.

By now I've uninstalled any 3rd party app management apps but when I use the stock Android app list to move installed apps to SD, I still find that they uninstall themselves, as I explained above.
Again - probably due to some change that original app made.

Any help with this would be appreciated.
I'd connect the phone to a PC, use the backup function in any app to back it up, back up all the apps (App Backup & Restore is good for that), copy everything to the PC, reflash the stock ROM (see [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN), restore everything (I know, it's a long tedious job - I mean I really know - I just unlocked the bootloader on a phone and then had to spend about an hour restoring it) and stop trying to move apps to the SD card. It's made to hold data, not apps. (I'm a software junky, and install a lot of apps when I'm here to see why people are having problems with them - and my 32GB Note 3 still has plenty of internal storage left. (Not so the 128GB SD card, but that's all data.)

I'm frustrated that a feature that is intended to conveniently free up phone memory is really more of a nuisance and not a convenience at all.
It's not, really. Which is why so many apps can no longer be moved. If the developer knows what he's doing, and knows that the app won't behave properly on the SD card, the "Move" button will be grayed out when you go to move the app. If the app was "written" (more likely generated by an app-writing app) by someone who doesn't understand how Android works, he leaves the button live and the user (you) has problems.

Mascher22

Nov 27, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the information Rukbat.
I flashed the stock rom on an S6 some time ago to remove bloatware when storage was reaching its limit. I'll have to re-school myself about the process before doing it again but I do remember it was tedious as well.
Regarding moving apps to SD, I admit that my thinking was that (like Windows) the app, for the most part would be moved but the shortcut would remain on the phone, linked to the app location.
Initially, after 'moving' an app to SD, the storage space shown makes it appear that as being the case.
Im still puzzled by the apps being uninstalled automatically but can somewhat understand why it would occur if apps should become corrupted.
I appreciate your advice and app recommendations and will probably flash my S7 when I feel ready to do so.
Thanks again.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames