It happens every time I boot up my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7), I go to turn it on and it gets hit with horrible non-stop lag for 5-10 minutes, then it's back to no lag with the occasional stutter, what do I do?
    04-11-2018 07:16 AM
    Welcome

That lag is likely caused by background sync processes that were not running while the phone was shut off. Processes such as mail caching, photos thumbnails, Play Services updates, scanning for app updates, plus data updates for apps such as Facebook.

How often do you shut it off and for how long?

I still have my 2013 Moto X connected to my Google account, I experience this very thing when I boot it every so often and the items listed above are the exact reasons why it lags for a little while after I boot it, based on the barrage of notifications and updates that come through during that time.
    04-11-2018 08:11 AM
    I constantly turn it off and back on, mostly because I try to conserve as much battery during the day as possible.
    04-11-2018 01:34 PM
    I would argue that the phone having to boot, load the OS and any apps and syncs that run in the background uses just as much power as leaving it on and letting it idle in standby.

Now, if you're talking about just shutting the screen off (leaving the phone on) and it being laggy when you unlock it, my previous description still applies but it shouldn't last 10 minutes. When you have a phone running Marshmallow or higher, it has a mode called "doze", this is kind of a deep sleep. When you wake it, apps that are not excluded from doze (meaning they still run while in Doze) then the apps that were sleeping will rush to sync.
    04-11-2018 02:26 PM