Need instructions on albums in new version of gallery

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
My S& Active gallery app updated awhile back, and everything in the manual and on the internet does not match the screens I see now when i try to create an album and move photos in to it. Can someone please post step-by-step instructions?

I did not mark this as "ask for help" because that does not give me a way to ask responders a follow-up question when what they say doesn't work for me.

I think I understand that when I create an album I need to move photos in to it immediately. I have followed steps to create an album on the SD card, but then I don't see how to add photos. So, I went back to the pictures, selected one and clicked "Edit" as suggested by another person on the Internet, but that person said Edit would lead me to an opportunity to create an album and place photos in it. However, Edit does not show this option any more.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The "album" is the "last name" of the folder. IOW. if you have a folder named /DCIM/Camera/Vacations, the album name showing in Gallery is Vacations. You can create that with MyFiles or with Gallery, it doesn't make any difference. In My Files, you'd go to /DCIM/Camera and create a folder, and name it Vacations.

Moving files is risky - all a move entails is a copy, a paste and a delete, but if the delete occurs and the paste didn't work, you're left with nothing, so get used to using My Files to copy pictures, pasting them into the new folder, checking them to make sure that worked, then deleting them from the original folder. Then run an app like media.Re.Scan to rebuild the Media Scan database (media apps, like Gallery, show what's in the database, not what's on the phone).

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Rukbat, thank you for your reply, but it didn't hep much. I ended up piecing together several bits of advice and got it to work. First, I found that in Gallery I need to long-press on a picture to get a check-mark beside it, then click the three dots in the upper right to get a menu. That led me to the options to ether create a new album or move or copy the checked picture to an existing album. It also made a number of extra copies in the Gallery, so maybe there is a better way, but at least I did not lose any images! So, thanks for the warning.

The earlier advice I had seen said to select the picture and click Edit to get to the albums option. If I just select a picture and then click Edit I get options to change how the picture looks. The long-press to get the check mark was important.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's no "in the gallery". Gallery is an app - it just shows what's on the phone. If you have 2 copies of a picture, Gallery will show it twice. (Careful, though - if you have a link [like a Windows shortcut] to a picture, Gallery will still show it twice.) The best way, of course, is to copy all your pictures to your PC, then (assuming the copying worked and you can see them all on the PC) delete them all from the phone. Then make your folder structure to reflect your thinking (years folders inside holiday folders, or holiday folders in year folders, for example), keeping in mind that the name of the last folder in the string will be the name of the "album". (So don't have two "last folders" of the same name - you'll just confuse yourself.) Then move all the pictures from the PC to where they should go in the phone.

That way, if you work it out first, you'll have all your pictures, but you'll only show 1 copy of each (unless you want the same picture in "Winter" and "Christmas", or something like that).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX