Moisture detected in charging port

Wu-Tang_36

May 21, 2018
Visit site
Hello, I am extremely frustrated. I have an unlocked Verizon S7 that I use on T-Mobile.

3 days ago I walked a few blocks to pick something up and when I came back to the office and plugged my phone in I got a message that said "Cannot charge phone. Moisture detected in charging port". I do not remember the exact words but that was essentially the message. I found this incredibly odd since this is supposedly a water resistant phone that can be completely submerged in water, yet now it cannot charge because of alleged moisture? It was cloudy and humid that day but I didn't even have my phone out of my pocket during the walk. I have had my phone out and in my pocket during humid days many many times without this issue, but regardless I left it unplugged in an attempt to let it dry out. I restarted my phone thinking that might clear itself of this message that is popping up as a result of some software error. But the message continued after the restart.

I tried plugging it in with different cables and bricks, and sometimes it would work. Sometimes I would get the moisture message and then unplug and replug in the same cable immediately and it would work, other times it would keep giving me the error. It was very sporadic. Ironically it worked best with this one cable I have that recently (like 2-3 months ago) became loose in the sense that when I plugged it into my phone it would easily slip out. It wouldn't have that nice lock in feeling like a charger should have when you plug it in. But in this scenario it was working the best.

A couple times my phone gave me a message I've never seen before along the lines of "this charger is not compatible with this phone. Please use the original charger." Again I don't remember the exact words, but that was the message and the battery icon turned into a battery with a red X on it. And of course this is with cables and bricks that I use all the time with no issue. I found this odd because in my 7-8 years of owning various androids I've never seen this message, generally any micro USB cable that is plugged in is gonna give it some juice, albeit not always very quickly.

Anyhow, I got home and that night and I eventually got a certain cable/plug combo to work after some unplugging and plugging. I set it next to my bed and went to sleep, and when I arose the next morning, lo and behold there was only about 50% battery left and it wasn't charging. When I plugged it in it had around 10%-15% battery, so it evidently worked for around an hour or so before deciding to not work. So that morning I kept trying different cables and bricks till I found one to work and set it still until it charged my phone completely. The next night I was able to get it to charge all night.

Then yesterday, after waking up to a fully charged phone I used it like normal, and by the afternoon it was getting low so I wanted to charge it up before we headed out. At this point I tried to plug it in and absolutely nothing happens. I tried all kinds of various cables and bricks and battery packs (and mind you most of these cables are the 28/24 gauge variety that I be sure to use every day), yet the phone wouldn't even recognize that anything is happening.

Now that my phone is dead, when I try plugging it in it will vibrate, then vibrate again, then vibrate again, about once a second continually with absolutely perfect rhythm. I have tried lots of tricks I found online, cleaning the port with alcohol, hairdryer to the port (on cold), shaking it, pressing volume down+power as I plug it in. Nothing. I'm gonna take it to a phone repair shop (I assume I'm not under warranty since I'm not the original owner nor do I have a receipt), but I don't want to have to spend $100+ for them to repair the port on a 2 gen old phone that I don't know if this is going to happen to again.

Sorry for how long this is but I just wanted to be detailed. Does any have any advice?

TL;DR

3 Days ago randomly got a "Moisture detected in charging port error". Only was able to charge sporadically, it was very finicky, now 3 days later it won't charge at all.