Should I install the Oreo update?

37Kdeep

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
NO! My S8+ was working fine until the Oreo update. Specifically, the Game Tools app is completely annoying. It cannot be uninstalled or disabled.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a S7 with the update waiting as well and I'm not installing it. Keep looking through the S7 Oreo threads and you'll see some good and some bad. To me, the risk of my phone bricking, is not worth it.

I_didnt_do_it

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Mine made it through the update fine and has had no issues with crashes or lags, etc afterward. I guess it all depends on where you are at and who is your carrier.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine made it through the update fine and has had no issues with crashes or lags, etc afterward. I guess it all depends on where you are at and who is your carrier.

I agree. There is the possibility of not having any issues, but it seems like there have been more issues reported than positive results. The comments of "my phone worked fine before the update and works fine after the update" and the update is "meh" is enough for me to leave well enough alone and keep mine on Nougat.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
As long as you realize that you will need to spend some time going back through all of the settings, including the new ones, do it. It works fine on my old S7. Every problem I've read has been able to be solved through setting tweaks.

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
Thanks all

Mine has no carrier. Bought sim free. Do you think that will less likely mean problems

As long as you realize that you will need to spend some time going back through all of the settings, including the new ones, do it. It works fine on my old S7. Every problem I've read has been able to be solved through setting tweaks.

Any settings in particular? Thanks.

vwvdv

Jun 20, 2018
Visit site
I hate it.
The main thing (so far) that I find very annoying and frustrating that the notifications badges on app icons and notification panel are linked.
I tried removing the icons, changing theme, going through the setting of diverse applications but nothing helped.
The only thing you can do is “snooze” the notification. I do not want to have to snooze the *beeping*notification on the notification panel !
I want to be able to swipe it away and the icon still showing that there is still something to be read. If I had known, I would not have done the update.
As they make this change consciously (yep, not a bug!), they should also give you the option to switch it off… Why haven't they put the option to unlink the notifications badges on app icons and notification panel, this is ridiculous!

HermanSherman

Jun 20, 2018
Visit site
EDIT: Apparently Samsung pushed the wrong update?
I would stay with nougat. I was fine through the update but I want to roll back already. I find the update is ugly. Also, before the update you could control the volume of your phone AND a Bluetooth audio device. Now it is all controlled by your phone and the audio is total crap.

Last edited:

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
EDIT: Apparently Samsung pushed the wrong update?
I would stay with nougat. I was fine through the update but I want to roll back already. I find the update is ugly. Also, before the update you could control the volume of your phone AND a Bluetooth audio device. Now it is all controlled by your phone and the audio is total crap.

I wouldn't say they pushed the "wrong" update. I just think they have a design team that is out of touch with the end-users, us. And part of it is changing things, just to change things. Can't nobody leave well-enough alone. Example, Oreo hadn't even been rolled out to everyone and people were already installing the "P" beta.

At least one good thing about a phone not having enough space to download the update, no way for Oreo to be "forced" on to it, :)

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I hate it.
The main thing (so far) that I find very annoying and frustrating that the notifications badges on app icons and notification panel are linked.
I tried removing the icons, changing theme, going through the setting of diverse applications but nothing helped.
The only thing you can do is “snooze” the notification. I do not want to have to snooze the *beeping*notification on the notification panel !
I want to be able to swipe it away and the icon still showing that there is still something to be read. If I had known, I would not have done the update.
As they make this change consciously (yep, not a bug!), they should also give you the option to switch it off… Why haven't they put the option to unlink the notifications badges on app icons and notification panel, this is ridiculous!
You can turn off the badges and it will be like before.
bd1ab0eeeeff1e2bd3b64868f531f3c0.jpg

76d0058343d4a8e58df89d3f587b710a.jpg

Jon Wojcik

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I am not updating until they restore the ability to set custom message tones per contact, not per message thread. Many use this feature and it needs to be put back into the contact app. I don't want to hear about the fix to the message app. That is not the fix.

Bankokbob54

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, in regards to the S7......the Oreo update messes with your message bubble up top. It's gone. There are a couple of other notification tweeks(not issues, just changes) and whoever downloads Oreo will find that out. There were like 3-4 tiny things that were changed that took me awhile to find out where to change them back from. A lil bit of a pain in the butt, but not the end of the world. Is it going to brick the phone? No. Btw, I just got a new S9 a week after the Oreo update on my S7 and everything works just fine. Draw your own conclusions there.

Bankokbob54

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Small update. I made Textra the default "messages" app for now, and I got the message bubble back. Unless we get an update from Samsung I don't see anything else working.