09-22-2018 09:01 PM
45 12
tools
    Hi all,

The update notification just popped up on my phone. I see there's been some update issues but what's the general consensus?

Thanks.
    06-17-2018 03:42 AM
    NO! My S8+ was working fine until the Oreo update. Specifically, the Game Tools app is completely annoying. It cannot be uninstalled or disabled.
    06-17-2018 05:57 AM
    I have a S7 with the update waiting as well and I'm not installing it. Keep looking through the S7 Oreo threads and you'll see some good and some bad. To me, the risk of my phone bricking, is not worth it.
    vwvdv and Lisa Whitson like this.
    06-17-2018 08:27 AM
    Mine made it through the update fine and has had no issues with crashes or lags, etc afterward. I guess it all depends on where you are at and who is your carrier.
    Lisa Whitson likes this.
    06-17-2018 09:33 AM
    Mine made it through the update fine and has had no issues with crashes or lags, etc afterward. I guess it all depends on where you are at and who is your carrier.
    I agree. There is the possibility of not having any issues, but it seems like there have been more issues reported than positive results. The comments of "my phone worked fine before the update and works fine after the update" and the update is "meh" is enough for me to leave well enough alone and keep mine on Nougat.
    Lisa Whitson likes this.
    06-17-2018 01:57 PM
    As long as you realize that you will need to spend some time going back through all of the settings, including the new ones, do it. It works fine on my old S7. Every problem I've read has been able to be solved through setting tweaks.
    06-19-2018 07:55 AM
    Thanks all

Mine has no carrier. Bought sim free. Do you think that will less likely mean problems

As long as you realize that you will need to spend some time going back through all of the settings, including the new ones, do it. It works fine on my old S7. Every problem I've read has been able to be solved through setting tweaks.
    Any settings in particular? Thanks.
    06-19-2018 08:29 AM
    Any other issues?
    06-19-2018 08:30 AM
    NO! My S8+ was working fine until the Oreo update. Specifically, the Game Tools app is completely annoying. It cannot be uninstalled or disabled.
    Any other issues?
    06-19-2018 08:30 AM
    I think it saves battery better than nougat. But touch wiz and other settings reset when I restart the phone.
    06-19-2018 10:46 AM
    I hate it.
    The main thing (so far) that I find very annoying and frustrating that the notifications badges on app icons and notification panel are linked.
    I tried removing the icons, changing theme, going through the setting of diverse applications but nothing helped.
    The only thing you can do is “snooze” the notification. I do not want to have to snooze the *beeping*notification on the notification panel !
    I want to be able to swipe it away and the icon still showing that there is still something to be read. If I had known, I would not have done the update.
    As they make this change consciously (yep, not a bug!), they should also give you the option to switch it off… Why haven't they put the option to unlink the notifications badges on app icons and notification panel, this is ridiculous!
    Lisa Whitson likes this.
    06-20-2018 10:03 AM
    EDIT: Apparently Samsung pushed the wrong update?
    I would stay with nougat. I was fine through the update but I want to roll back already. I find the update is ugly. Also, before the update you could control the volume of your phone AND a Bluetooth audio device. Now it is all controlled by your phone and the audio is total crap.
    Lisa Whitson likes this.
    06-20-2018 11:52 AM
    Ok looks like I should stick with Nougat for now then. Anyone have any advice got getting rid of the stubborn update notification? Thanks.
    Lisa Whitson likes this.
    06-23-2018 04:56 AM
    EDIT: Apparently Samsung pushed the wrong update?
    I would stay with nougat. I was fine through the update but I want to roll back already. I find the update is ugly. Also, before the update you could control the volume of your phone AND a Bluetooth audio device. Now it is all controlled by your phone and the audio is total crap.
    I wouldn't say they pushed the "wrong" update. I just think they have a design team that is out of touch with the end-users, us. And part of it is changing things, just to change things. Can't nobody leave well-enough alone. Example, Oreo hadn't even been rolled out to everyone and people were already installing the "P" beta.

At least one good thing about a phone not having enough space to download the update, no way for Oreo to be "forced" on to it,
    06-23-2018 07:51 AM
    I hate it.
    The main thing (so far) that I find very annoying and frustrating that the notifications badges on app icons and notification panel are linked.
    I tried removing the icons, changing theme, going through the setting of diverse applications but nothing helped.
    The only thing you can do is “snooze” the notification. I do not want to have to snooze the *beeping*notification on the notification panel !
    I want to be able to swipe it away and the icon still showing that there is still something to be read. If I had known, I would not have done the update.
    As they make this change consciously (yep, not a bug!), they should also give you the option to switch it off… Why haven't they put the option to unlink the notifications badges on app icons and notification panel, this is ridiculous!
    You can turn off the badges and it will be like before.
    06-23-2018 08:01 AM
    Will see how long I can hold of with the upgrade. Thanks all.
    06-30-2018 08:07 PM
    I am not updating until they restore the ability to set custom message tones per contact, not per message thread. Many use this feature and it needs to be put back into the contact app. I don't want to hear about the fix to the message app. That is not the fix.
    11B1P and Lisa Whitson like this.
    07-01-2018 11:36 AM
    Well, in regards to the S7......the Oreo update messes with your message bubble up top. It's gone. There are a couple of other notification tweeks(not issues, just changes) and whoever downloads Oreo will find that out. There were like 3-4 tiny things that were changed that took me awhile to find out where to change them back from. A lil bit of a pain in the butt, but not the end of the world. Is it going to brick the phone? No. Btw, I just got a new S9 a week after the Oreo update on my S7 and everything works just fine. Draw your own conclusions there.
    Lisa Whitson likes this.
    07-10-2018 11:45 AM
    Small update. I made Textra the default "messages" app for now, and I got the message bubble back. Unless we get an update from Samsung I don't see anything else working.
    methodman89 and Lisa Whitson like this.
    07-11-2018 12:02 AM
    Have bitten the bullet and updated, mainly because battery drain was so bad before. Seems kind of the same, possibly a little better.
    07-19-2018 05:21 AM
    Small update. I made Textra the default "messages" app for now, and I got the message bubble back. Unless we get an update from Samsung I don't see anything else working.
    I tried textra also, and will keep it even if Samsung fixes their problems. I like all of the functions in textra that never have been in Samsung SMS.
    Bankokbob54 likes this.
    07-19-2018 07:38 AM
    I have had awful results with the new update. My phone is just so much slower, and some apps like Snapchat and Facebook are so slow that I don't even use them anymore.
    07-20-2018 10:51 AM
    Try "wipe cache partition." I do it from time to time anyway, especially after an update.
    07-28-2018 01:59 AM
    Try "wipe cache partition." I do it from time to time anyway, especially after an update.
    tried doing this today but can't get my phone to boot into recovery mode ... held volume up and down and power buttons until logo screen, released power button while still holding volume buttons, and phone booted up into carrier mode ... did this process change with Oreo?
    07-29-2018 09:47 AM
    Volume Up+Home, then add Power. Volume Down+Home (plus Power) is download mode. Volume Up+Volume Down (plus Power) is "ignore me, just start".

New? No, it's always been that way with Samsung.
    Bankokbob54 likes this.
    07-29-2018 02:54 PM
45 12