Recentley picked up an S7 running Oreo. As a phone/camara its very impressive, but connectivity to the house iMac is almost impossible. Tried the recommended file transfer app, that’s a bit hit-n-miss and gives me the option to manually copy files, no sync.

Played around with usb debug mode and can occasionally get my photo app (digiKam) to recognise the phone but again its a very painful process, certainly it’s not plug-n-play sync.

Very disappointed to the extent of thinking about putting the phone on eBay and looking around for something else (previous Sony z3 compact was fine). Is there nothing that makes syncing btween Apple Mac and Samsung a pain free process?
    06-17-2018 09:05 AM
    Google. If you enable sync in Settings/Accounts/<your Google account>, everything gets synced.

If you want a local backup of everything, see Backing up an Android Device. You can copy everything you back up to the iMac as just plain files, which can be used to restore the information to the S7 (or another S7, if this one gets lost, destroyed or has to be replaced).

There's no single "sync" program that syncs everything on the phone, not in a Mac and not in Windows. There's always something this program or that one leaves out. Doing it manually backs up everything you want, nothing you don't want, every time you back up (which might change from backup to backup). Contacts will always get backed up (if you enable Contact backup in your account), email is inherently "backed up" on the email server, but everything else is going to be different from user to user, and from backup to backup. Do you really want to back up all your pictures every time? I don't. I just want to back up the ones that are new since the last backup.
    06-17-2018 11:46 AM