Can someone explain in simple terms if the galaxy s7 will be able to upgrade to the next version of andoird. i understand it can take 8.0. can it take 9 or whatever is next? or dont we know that
    06-18-2018 01:11 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! We don't know for sure yet, but since the S7 was released in March 2016, that means it's already more than 2 years old. Most phone manufacturers will only update their phones for 2 years at the most. I think it's very unlikely.
    06-19-2018 12:50 AM
    Can someone explain in simple terms if the galaxy s7 will be able to upgrade to the next version of andoird. i understand it can take 8.0. can it take 9 or whatever is next? or dont we know that
    Basically, Yes. As long as the writer of the code allows it. There is nothing upgraded in the hardware that I am aware of to prevent an update, but of course, you won't get a retina scan on an S7 even running 9.0. Hope this helps.
    06-19-2018 09:01 AM
    S7 is supposed to receive Oreo. That's probably the last major update it will receive.

Who is your carrier?

https://www.androidcentral.com/samsu...s7-oreo-update
    06-19-2018 02:51 PM
    Basically, Yes. As long as the writer of the code allows it.
    Actually, it's somewhat driven by Qualcomm supporting (or not) the new OS on the chipset in the device.

This HTC infographic will give you an idea as to why I say this (I realize we're talking Samsung here but the basics apply) - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=zdbnzsO4

Note step 5 - "IF the chipset manufacturer decides to support.."

That out of the way. There appears to be support for the SD 820 chipset on Android P, the Pixel runs that chipset. This in no way is an indication that Samsung is going to develop the update for that device though...
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-19-2018 05:54 PM
    If the chipset supports it, then maybe some ROM wizard will create a custom P ROM for the S7 (if Samsung ultimately decides not to).
    06-19-2018 06:43 PM