I just got mine Oreo update on Sprint. So I see all my custom contact text notifications are now gone. Wow that is a HUGE bummer and why?

Furthermore I can find anywhere on this damn phone where to even change the default text ringtone. The setting seems to be missing. I've looked it up and the directions talk about setting menus I don't even have. How do you do it?
    06-23-2018 03:05 PM
    I think I figured out where the notification setting finally is.

How about how to edit folders and folder groups. You hold on an apps icon and a little menu pops up to delete from group and then the menu is gone before you realize it the app is now trying to attach itself to your home screen. How are you supposed to make it work. How is it supposed to work? I just now made a folder with two apps when I didn't want to and now I can get rid of it because the apps won't remove from the folder.
    06-23-2018 03:25 PM
    I think I figured out where the notification setting finally is.

How about how to edit folders and folder groups. You hold on an apps icon and a little menu pops up to delete from group and then the menu is gone before you realize it the app is now trying to attach itself to your home screen. How are you supposed to make it work. How is it supposed to work? I just now made a folder with two apps when I didn't want to and now I can get rid of it because the apps won't remove from the folder.
    Well if Cybrrman can't do it, who can?
    06-23-2018 04:07 PM
    Seriously? Why, thanks for your sarcasm. That is immensely helpful.
    06-25-2018 06:27 AM
    1. Because custom notification tones per contact was never a part of Android to begin with. It's part of the stuff that Samsung adds on top of Android. The Oreo update changed the way notifications are handled and very likely broke how that Samsung feature was supposed to work. Samsung issued a later update to the Messaging app to rectify this where you can select a custom tone for every thread. Which means if you want a specific person to have a tone, you can't delete his/her entire thread. This is how the Android Messages app by Google handles it too.

2. If the pop up menu is not working, did you alter your animation settings? Set it back to active.
    06-25-2018 06:35 AM
    Thanks that info helps a lot. I just figured out the pop-up menu thing. I was keeping the icon held down. I thought I had to hold and drag it onto the pop-up option. As soon as the pop-up appears, let go of the icon and click one of the options. That wasn't obvious to me for a while.

Do you know how to add a tone to a texting thread? I can't see where to do it and within the thread is not giving me that option. Thank you.
    06-25-2018 07:13 AM
    You have to get the latest update from Galaxy App Store. Personally mine isn't updated yet and I'm too lazy to side load the APK. I just use Textra as my SMS app which has that feature.
    Thanks that info helps a lot. I just figured out the pop-up menu thing. I was keeping the icon held down. I thought I had to hold and drag it onto the pop-up option. As soon as the pop-up appears, let go of the icon and click one of the options. That wasn't obvious to me for a while.

Do you know how to add a tone to a texting thread? I can't see where to do it and within the thread is not giving me that option. Thank you.
    06-25-2018 08:36 AM
    How do you update the Messages app? Mine says it is up-to-date and there isn't an update for it in the Samsung Galaxy App Store.
    06-25-2018 01:09 PM