Battery on my Samsung Galaxy S7 draining more lately? Maybe due to Version 8.0 (Oreo) update?

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if I came across as rude.
Just realize that Facebook is using 8 and the os is using more to run all the processes and synching and whatever else is activated when you launch FB. There is a lot of overlap. Until you disable the 3 biggest users, FB, screen time and the accompanying os requirements, you are bypassing the 1st and simple thing to do. Why you won't attempt it and see the result lacks logic, and does not follow any algorithm for your battery issue.

I live in the States. Ok, you only stated how to disable the FB one which was to get rid of it. You never gave me any options for disabling the issues of screen time or OS requirements. The only thing I turned down is the FB option from you. But just now, I decided why not? I tried to uninstall FB and Messenger but I wasn't even allowed to? It doesn't give me an uninstall option on my phone like other apps do? So apparently it's not even an option?

Also, today I've tested my phone by having FB installed but not opening it as much. My battery is still draining like normal so that can't be the issue. My current battery stats today as of 2:30 PM are Android System 14%, Screen 11%, Android OS 4%. Facebook is way down at 1%.

Bump, I can't be the only one having issues with this?

Last edited:

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I'll suggest 1 last time, but I hate repeating myself.
Uninstall Facebook. Uninstall Messanger. Clear your cache partition.
Use a browser for a couple of days for FB, you'll live.
You are taking a piecemeal approach to a more complicated problem.
If you don't want to do the above, don't complain. Can't have it both ways.
I live in the States. Ok, you only stated how to disable the FB one which was to get rid of it. You never gave me any options for disabling the issues of screen time or OS requirements. The only thing I turned down is the FB option from you. But just now, I decided why not? I tried to uninstall FB and Messenger but I wasn't even allowed to? It doesn't give me an uninstall option on my phone like other apps do? So apparently it's not even an option?

Also, today I've tested my phone by having FB installed but not opening it as much. My battery is still draining like normal so that can't be the issue. My current battery stats today as of 2:30 PM are Android System 14%, Screen 11%, Android OS 4%. Facebook is way down at 1%.

Bump, I can't be the only one having issues with this?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I'll suggest 1 last time, but I hate repeating myself.
Uninstall Facebook. Uninstall Messanger. Clear your cache partition.
Use a browser for a couple of days for FB, you'll live.
You are taking a piecemeal approach to a more complicated problem.
If you don't want to do the above, don't complain. Can't have it both ways.
P. S. I was born in the United States too, what's your inference?
Would you like my cv?

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
MethodMan, what on earth is your problem? Did you not read my last post? I told you I tried to do what you said by uninstalling Facebook on my phone but it won't allow me to do it? Also, I said I lived in the States because chanchan05 asked me that.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
MethodMan, what on earth is your problem? Did you not read my last post? I told you I tried to do what you said by uninstalling Facebook on my phone but it won't allow me to do it? Also, I said I lived in the States because chanchan05 asked me that.
No problem. How are you trying to delete FB? Are you doing so from the application manager or the playstore? It should be delectable, but you still think it is not part of the problem now more than before because of your recent stats.
You obviously have this handled, so I will leave you to your trials.
Good luck.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
No problem. How are you trying to delete FB? Are you doing so from the application manager or the playstore? It should be delectable, but you still think it is not part of the problem now more than before because of your recent stats.
You obviously have this handled, so I will leave you to your trials.
Good luck.

Some versions of Samsung phones have the Facebook app installed as a system app and thus cannot be uninstalled. They might be disabled though.

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm asking how to delete Facebook on my phone so I am taking your advice. How can you not understand that? I go inside the app manager and all it lets me do is disable it. I go inside the playstore and it says uninstall but it still doesn't get rid of it from my phone. So if all I can do is disable it, that's not fixing the problem because it's still on my phone and not uninstalled?

Someone help thanks.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm asking how to delete Facebook on my phone so I am taking your advice. How can you not understand that? I go inside the app manager and all it lets me do is disable it. I go inside the playstore and it says uninstall but it still doesn't get rid of it from my phone. So if all I can do is disable it, that's not fixing the problem because it's still on my phone and not uninstalled?

Someone help thanks.

Disabling it will be essentially the same as uninstalling it, the only difference is that the memory is not freed. If after disabling and the problem is still there, then it's not the source of the problem.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I've been running a basic test on an S7 running 8.0.0., since I've been using an 8 active and 9 plus for the past few months.
I have attached a screenshot.
Though I've used the S7 lightly, you can see the longevity of a properly configured ui. The phone and battery are over 2 years old. The phone was att, became un locked, and switched to tmobile.
637f760a62643d18ca614c467c0e1056.jpg

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I thought you weren't going to help anymore methodman? Haha. So what are you saying by your last post...that's without Facebook and Messenger showing it is the problem? Be more specific with what you are saying so others can understand.

So maybe I should try disabling Facebook since I can't uninstall it? What will happen if I do that...will it mess up anything especially if I ever want to bring it back in the future? And what about Messenger?

Thanks.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
My post is for general consumption. People like proof.
I still have nothing to add for you.
I thought you weren't going to help anymore methodman? Haha. So what are you saying by your last post...that's without Facebook and Messenger showing it is the problem? Be more specific with what you are saying so others can understand.

So maybe I should try disabling Facebook since I can't uninstall it? What will happen if I do that...will it mess up anything especially if I ever want to bring it back in the future? And what about Messenger?

Thanks.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Thanks.

It will just uninstall all updates to the app when you disable it. If you enable it in the future, it will just reupdate itself.

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok thanks so nothing totally detrimental to disabling Facebook? Why can you only disable Facebook but it seems you can actually uninstall Messenger?

I might try that out, thanks.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok thanks so nothing totally detrimental to disabling Facebook? Why can you only disable Facebook but it seems you can actually uninstall Messenger?

I might try that out, thanks.

No nothing. I've tried that before when I tested out Facebook Lite (the official smaller less data and battery hungry version), but in the end I preferred the full app so I just reenabled it.

kenkay

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Resolved my battery issue.... took the bullet and did a factory reset... phone restored 90 per cent of everything automatically.... now after 11+ hours phone has only used 39% of battery... this is about how it was before the Oreo 8 update. Before the factory reset battery life was 80% down by 11 hours... resetting everything took about an hour.... don't give too much value to your old setup... its easy to restore to either the same or a new look....

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
No I can't uninstall the FB app...it only gives me the option to "disable it". So kenkay, the factory reset seemed to solve the issue?

So now should I try just uninstalling FB and Messenger OR should I do a factory reset? I'm a little worried about doing a factory reset though...what all does it erase? Won't it erase all my contacts and everything? I'm not sure if I have them backed up or anything? I don't have any pictures or music stored on my phone. I only have lots of contacts in my address book.

Thanks for the help!

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Bump, thanks!

For example, I tested something out today. I have been using my phone a lot for the past 4 hours when it began at a 100% charge. It's now currently at 32% and I've been using Facebook and Messenger pretty often. I looked at my battery stats and it shows: Android System 17%, Screen 14%, Android OS 5%, Facebook 4%, Messenger 2%.

That shows me that it's not necessarily coming from Facebook and Messenger being the problems, see what I mean? Look how low their percentage is.

Last edited:

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
So I tried "disabling" Facebook but there is also a Facebook App Installer and Facebook App Manager...do I need to disable them too?

And should I also get rid of Facebook Messenger or am I ok just disabling Facebook?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay