08-29-2018 09:09 AM
51 123
tools
    Hi everyone, let me start off by saying I don't know much about phones at all. A couple of days ago, I realized that my Samsung Galaxy S7's battery has been draining a lot quicker than usual. The only thing I can think of that's different is that about 1-2 weeks ago, I did the software update on my phone which upgraded it to version 8.0 (oreo I guess it's called?)

I have barely any apps on my phone, hardly anything stored in it so I have no idea what it could be from. Is it possible it's from this update? If so, what can I do to fix this? I did a quick google search online and saw that you can do a "clear cache partition". So I did that and it maybe helped a little but not really. It's still draining more significantly. I heard you can do a factory reset or something but I really would prefer not to do that or even know how to.

Any other options? Again, I don't know a lot about phones so breakdown the language if you can and again, I have barely anything on my phone in terms of storage that could be weighing it down. I've gone to my battery mode and optimized things to the best of my ability including my display is always on auto, etc. but it's still not great. So I have no idea what's draining it.

Has anyone else had problems with their battery draining after this update? If so, how did you fix it? Or if it's not from the 8.0 update, what else could it be from?

Thanks.
    06-29-2018 03:12 PM
    What do your battery usage stats indicate as the main users of charge after charging to 100%, then using normally until at about 40%?
    06-29-2018 04:26 PM
    What do your battery usage stats indicate as the main users of charge after charging to 100%, then using normally until at about 40%?
    Thanks for your reply! But sorry I'm a little confused what you are asking or how I find this out?

Thanks.
    07-06-2018 11:07 AM
    Thanks for your reply! But sorry I'm a little confused what you are asking or how I find this out?

Thanks.
    Go to Settings, Device maintenance, Battery. Then look at the usage statistics.
    belodion likes this.
    07-08-2018 09:27 AM
    Go to Settings, Device maintenance, Battery. Then look at the usage statistics.
    Sorry, but I'm still confused what you want me to show? I went to Battery but then I'm not sure how to look at usage statistics after that point? What do I hit when I'm in Battery? I see I can click something that says "Battery Usage" but then that doesn't show statistics it just shows estimate battery life.

Do you mind breaking down more specifically where you want me to go and what to reply back with?

Thanks!
    07-11-2018 02:14 PM
    I'm not familiar with how Samsungs show battery usage, so I'll move this to S7.
    07-11-2018 02:51 PM
    Sorry, but I'm still confused what you want me to show? I went to Battery but then I'm not sure how to look at usage statistics after that point? What do I hit when I'm in Battery? I see I can click something that says "Battery Usage" but then that doesn't show statistics it just shows estimate battery life.

Do you mind breaking down more specifically where you want me to go and what to reply back with?

Thanks!
    See the 3 attached scteenshots. Follow the battery. The pictures are reversed in the post. I. E. The last Pic is the one you will see first when you go to Settings.
    belodion likes this.
    07-11-2018 02:55 PM
    Sometimes,the phone battery draining faster after you updated the version.
    Actually, increasing battery life for Android Phone is not such a difficult thing as you think. To make your device run for a longer time, you only need to adjust some settings of your device like reducing the brightness of screen, disabling wireless network, quitting background software and so on.
    07-12-2018 05:18 AM
    Again, as I have mentioned before I already have my screen brightness at auto, already quit background software constantly through the day, barely have any apps, etc.

So I think these are the screenshots you guys wanted?

This is it at 100%:

Battery on my Samsung Galaxy S7 draining more lately? Maybe due to Version 8.0 (Oreo) update?-100-.jpg

And here it is at 39%. Two screenshots for this one:

Battery on my Samsung Galaxy S7 draining more lately? Maybe due to Version 8.0 (Oreo) update?-39-.jpg

Battery on my Samsung Galaxy S7 draining more lately? Maybe due to Version 8.0 (Oreo) update?-39-part-2.jpg
    07-13-2018 06:33 PM
    Bump thanks.
    07-15-2018 10:36 AM
    Uninstall Facebook, and FB Messanger . Clear your CACHE. Reboot.
    Open up your browser and log in to Facebook for access . Check your stats in 2 days.
    07-15-2018 11:09 AM
    When you say "Clear my CACHE", do you mean do the "clear cache partition" thing? If so, I already did that as mentioned in my first post and it didn't really help at all.

And I'm not too keen on the idea of having to get rid of my Facebook and Facebook Messenger apps because I had those when my battery life was great and it didn't cause any problems.
    07-16-2018 10:02 AM
    The phone is 2 years old (assuming you got it on year of launch), so it's pretty normal for it's battery capacity to be noticeably lower at this point. The first phone that Samsung vouched to still have 90-95% capacity after 2 years of "normal usage" is the S8 with the new battery tech.

The S7 is still using the pre-Note7 fiasco battery tech. I'd expect it to have 75% capacity max after around 18mos. This means that if 2 years ago your battery life was 10hrs, then today it should be just around 7hrs. That is if you only charged it once a day.
    07-16-2018 10:10 AM
    I'm having the same problem and the bottom line is, my battery life is much worse after the Oreo update. I cleared the cache partition as I usually do after any update, but the problem persists. Usually the biggest battery user is the nebulous "android system." Just yesterday, the phone sat for about 4 hours with zero activity from me and went from 90 something percent to around 65%.

I've used the device maintenance menu every day to put apps to sleep, etc., but nothing seems to help...BTW, I've never used any facebook app. I suppose I could wipe the phone entirely but, I really don't want to spend endless hours recovering everything especiallly with no assurance it'll do anything.
    07-17-2018 09:29 AM
    When you say "Clear my CACHE", do you mean do the "clear cache partition" thing? If so, I already did that as mentioned in my first post and it didn't really help at all.

And I'm not too keen on the idea of having to get rid of my Facebook and Facebook Messenger apps because I had those when my battery life was great and it didn't cause any problems.
    Okay, but you won't loose anything deleting the app, and using a browser. Look at your stats. Between fb and screen time and android running, you aren't willing to see if it will solve the problem, though that's what's using the most.
    Your loss.
    07-17-2018 09:43 AM
    Um Facebook is only using 8%. Messenger isn't showing up at all on the stats. And again, my battery was fine in the past even when I had Facebook and Messenger. I'm not really keen on the idea of having to look up Facebook on my internet browser. Can we not work on the Android System at 16% or Android OS part at 5% instead? Also, you didn't answer my question. When you said "clear the cache" is that the same thing as "clearing cache partition?" Because I did that as my first post already shows.

Again, I don't believe this has anything to do with my phone being about 18 months old. It immediately happened after the Android 8.0 update.
    07-17-2018 11:23 AM
    Um, since you refuse to do what's recommended, and for some reason you can't type Facebook. com in your browser, why do you bother asking for help? You are not taking into account all of the battery that FB is using. But, you are stubborn, so just keep plugging in your phone, because you obviously don't really want help.
    07-17-2018 12:46 PM
    Um Facebook is only using 8%. Messenger isn't showing up at all on the stats. And again, my battery was fine in the past even when I had Facebook and Messenger. I'm not really keen on the idea of having to look up Facebook on my internet browser. Can we not work on the Android System at 16% or Android OS part at 5% instead? Also, you didn't answer my question. When you said "clear the cache" is that the same thing as "clearing cache partition?" Because I did that as my first post already shows.

Again, I don't believe this has anything to do with my phone being about 18 months old. It immediately happened after the Android 8.0 update.
    Phone battery capacity after update does not necessarily mean as well that it is due to the update. Oreo changes things fundamentally, so that some things it does may be good for a new battery, but would adversely affect an aging battery that cannot cope up with some certain demands. For example Oreo changed some Doze which may affect the battery depending on the app, since it has become a per app basis setting. One issue this may cause when using an older battery is if you have too many exclusions, the phone stays active longer during wake periods because the battery cannot provide full power flow thus making the CPU work longer. This is not a problem in newer batteries with max power flow capabilities intact, allowing the CPU full power and finishing on time. One thing you can do is go to settings and set less apps to be excluded from Doze, or get a new battery to allow the new settings to work as intended.

Bottom line is, we don't know if it's battery or Oreo until we manage to test a new battery.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-18-2018 01:03 AM
    Methodman89, why do you have to be so rude? There is no need for that so settle down son. Again, Facebook is only using 8% compared to the Android System using like 16% so can't we fix the Android System first somehow?

Chanchan05, thanks for your help, that makes sense. But how do I "go into settings and set less apps to be excluded from Doze?" What is Doze and what will that do? And I don't know how to get a new battery because I thought you couldn't extract the battery from Samsung S7's on your own anymore?

Obviously I'm not the only one with the issue because Rebelvis mentioned he is having problems too. So we just need to come up with ideas together to fix this.
    07-18-2018 12:30 PM
    Methodman89, why do you have to be so rude? There is no need for that so settle down son. Again, Facebook is only using 8% compared to the Android System using like 16% so can't we fix the Android System first somehow?

Chanchan05, thanks for your help, that makes sense. But how do I "go into settings and set less apps to be excluded from Doze?" What is Doze and what will that do? And I don't know how to get a new battery because I thought you couldn't extract the battery from Samsung S7's on your own anymore?

Obviously I'm not the only one with the issue because Rebelvis mentioned he is having problems too. So we just need to come up with ideas together to fix this.
    I don't have my S7 anymore so I can't really give you detailed instructions. You can look for the menu for optimizing apps. There should be a slider next to each app to set which ones are "optimized" or allowed to Doze, and not.

Doze is a feature on Android introduced in Marshmallow I think. It stops apps for a time and the phone goes in a "sleep" state, then every now and then, maybe 30min or more, it wakes up, syncs everything, then goes to sleep. Ideally the sync is finished in less than 5min, but if stuff are lagging it could take longer and thus eat more battery than usual.

Replacing batteries on the newer phones is possible, but only through the service centers now. Not sure about where you live. I live in Asia and here there are more Samsung Shops than Apple Care shops. I can just walk in there and have my battery replaced with an OEM one. It can be quite pricey through, around $70 if I remember correctly.
    07-18-2018 08:10 PM
    Sorry if I came across as rude.
    Just realize that Facebook is using 8 and the os is using more to run all the processes and synching and whatever else is activated when you launch FB. There is a lot of overlap. Until you disable the 3 biggest users, FB, screen time and the accompanying os requirements, you are bypassing the 1st and simple thing to do. Why you won't attempt it and see the result lacks logic, and does not follow any algorithm for your battery issue.
    07-18-2018 08:23 PM
    Sorry if I came across as rude.
    Just realize that Facebook is using 8 and the os is using more to run all the processes and synching and whatever else is activated when you launch FB. There is a lot of overlap. Until you disable the 3 biggest users, FB, screen time and the accompanying os requirements, you are bypassing the 1st and simple thing to do. Why you won't attempt it and see the result lacks logic, and does not follow any algorithm for your battery issue.
    I live in the States. Ok, you only stated how to disable the FB one which was to get rid of it. You never gave me any options for disabling the issues of screen time or OS requirements. The only thing I turned down is the FB option from you. But just now, I decided why not? I tried to uninstall FB and Messenger but I wasn't even allowed to? It doesn't give me an uninstall option on my phone like other apps do? So apparently it's not even an option?

Also, today I've tested my phone by having FB installed but not opening it as much. My battery is still draining like normal so that can't be the issue. My current battery stats today as of 2:30 PM are Android System 14%, Screen 11%, Android OS 4%. Facebook is way down at 1%.

Bump, I can't be the only one having issues with this?
    07-20-2018 12:01 PM
    I'll suggest 1 last time, but I hate repeating myself.
    Uninstall Facebook. Uninstall Messanger. Clear your cache partition.
    Use a browser for a couple of days for FB, you'll live.
    You are taking a piecemeal approach to a more complicated problem.
    If you don't want to do the above, don't complain. Can't have it both ways.
    I live in the States. Ok, you only stated how to disable the FB one which was to get rid of it. You never gave me any options for disabling the issues of screen time or OS requirements. The only thing I turned down is the FB option from you. But just now, I decided why not? I tried to uninstall FB and Messenger but I wasn't even allowed to? It doesn't give me an uninstall option on my phone like other apps do? So apparently it's not even an option?

Also, today I've tested my phone by having FB installed but not opening it as much. My battery is still draining like normal so that can't be the issue. My current battery stats today as of 2:30 PM are Android System 14%, Screen 11%, Android OS 4%. Facebook is way down at 1%.

Bump, I can't be the only one having issues with this?
    07-21-2018 09:29 AM
    I'll suggest 1 last time, but I hate repeating myself.
    Uninstall Facebook. Uninstall Messanger. Clear your cache partition.
    Use a browser for a couple of days for FB, you'll live.
    You are taking a piecemeal approach to a more complicated problem.
    If you don't want to do the above, don't complain. Can't have it both ways.
    P. S. I was born in the United States too, what's your inference?
    Would you like my cv?
    07-21-2018 09:30 AM
    MethodMan, what on earth is your problem? Did you not read my last post? I told you I tried to do what you said by uninstalling Facebook on my phone but it won't allow me to do it? Also, I said I lived in the States because chanchan05 asked me that.
    07-25-2018 12:45 PM
51 123