Oreo update-in call screen turns off

Char Fox

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Since my AT&T S7 received the Oreo update, my call screen now goes dim whenever I'm on a call for a few seconds, then black seconds later. I can have it on speaker, in a well lit room, on or off wifi or bluetooth, and it always does it. I have to press the power or home button to turn the screen back on, volume buttons won't do it.

Timeout is 10 minutes. I've had the same glass screen protector on since well before the update and the proximity sensor is clean. Outside of a call, I can cover/uncover the sensor and it does what it should. Androsensor shows 3.1 on the proximity sensor, even in dim lighting, and 0 when covered. Safe mode has the same results. The phone app doesn't show any updates that can be uninstalled, and i've tried every setting I can think of and it doesn't change.

I'm really hoping to avoid the hassle of a factory reset if there's some fix for this, but so far I've found nothing online about the issue.

Bill Starr

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
Since my AT&T S7 received the Oreo update, my call screen now goes dim whenever I'm on a call for a few seconds, then black seconds later. I can have it on speaker, in a well lit room, on or off wifi or bluetooth, and it always does it. I have to press the power or home button to turn the screen back on, volume buttons won't do it.

Timeout is 10 minutes. I've had the same glass screen protector on since well before the update and the proximity sensor is clean. Outside of a call, I can cover/uncover the sensor and it does what it should. Androsensor shows 3.1 on the proximity sensor, even in dim lighting, and 0 when covered. Safe mode has the same results. The phone app doesn't show any updates that can be uninstalled, and i've tried every setting I can think of and it doesn't change.

I'm really hoping to avoid the hassle of a factory reset if there's some fix for this, but so far I've found nothing online about the issue.

I am also having this issue on my S7 since updating to Oreo today.

Bill Starr

Wed, 25 Jul 2018, 4:19 pm EDT (UTC -0400)

Last edited by a moderator:

brad20

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
Me too. S7 only since oreo does this. I've tried all sorts of stuff suggested in other forums without luck. Standard Samsung Phone app.