ATT S7 Location service spontaneous re-enable.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Running latest OTA, seemed to start two system updates ago. At first I thought it was perhaps a rogue app, so I disabled all permissions to location, even for system apps (what a non rooted stock ROM will allow), so it shows 0 apps have location access. Not only does it re-enable, it randomly keeps asking if I want to improve location accuracy with WIFI. Aside from some long used trusted apps such as touchdown (paid), ms office apps, airdroid and macrodroid(both paid)), it is very basic and uncluttered past out of box. Permissions monitor is NOT showing any recent location requests. So I cannot for the life of me find a pattern or reason for this.

FrustratedATTUser

Dec 27, 2018
Visit site
OP here, After much frustration, a coworker found this, https://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-D...with-the-Galaxy-S7-newest-Nouget/td-p/5112128 sure enough, turned off WIFI calling, location silent until I got curious, turned it back on, viola instant location back on... Now for the kicker, WIFI calling IS in the apps section where permissions may be manipulated, it does have location disabled, and it blatantly ignores this as does permissions monitor. Will be discussing with ATT, hopefully it saves another user the trouble of tracking it down. BTW, Checked https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ss%2FKM1063258%3Fgsi%3DWZ_yoL8&token=B_jYtcKo they mention it being needed and understandably in an emergency 911 call, not day to day use....

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
they mention it being needed and understandably in an emergency 911 call, not day to day use....
And the easiest way is to turn on location when wifi calling is turned on. Otherwise they need a different Phone app for each country to monitor the number you dial, then the police have to wait until the GPS finishes starting. If you dial 911 or 112 (or who knows what other numbers are used where) and pass out, the location is there on an #911 console as soon as they answer the call. (Cell tower isn't that useful - in sole places, 1 tower covers a few towns or villages. [Australia used to have one tower that covered about 30 miles.]) And wifi location is only useful for the phone, not for the police.

FrustratedATTUser

Dec 27, 2018
Visit site
Yeah, I get all of that, and I get the need, but... I do also see that A.) disabling this explicitly is ignored, and B.) that the permissions monitor and permissions themselves are both obviously exempt in this case, it raises the question of how that is achieved (by potentially other apps well). A "Warning, turning off location for this service means:<blah blah>" makes MUCH more sense. All in all not an easy going feeling saying "This is for your own good, so you have no ability or right to disable it or monitor its use." Just more of those privacy options we have to accept are not longer a part of modern society. I have a choice not to have a cell phone or carry one at least... For now... :)

FrustratedATTUser

Dec 27, 2018
Visit site
AT&T Gave standard answer of "perhaps the latest update will fix" Confirmed as of the latest OTA as of last night (20181201 patch level) I can confirm no joy. I did go through the "special access" permissions to "apps that can change system settings" and disabled WiFi calling there too. Still instant location when enabling WIFI calling. And just to test, I confirmed the seemingly "random" request for greater accuracy is when the list of available APs change. Which is funny because it is asking permission to scan for what it just noticed changed and just seemingly wants your approval. I can repeat that by walking out of range of an SSID, and into another, it will ask shortly there after. I guess WIFI calling is a no go until ATT fixes it, because "I consent to no 911 accuracy" is a valid choice, "I cannot disable LOCATION while using a service that does not HAVE to have it", is spying. Blatantly ignoring permissions and circumventing logging... is malware. :/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae