Battery dying quicker on my Samsung Galaxy S7?

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Bump. Also, looks like I can't even uninstall Facebook app on my phone if I wanted to...it only gives an option for "disable" and then it says if you do that it might cause errors so I'm scared to do that. I can only uninstall Messenger app and not sure that will do anything. Plus I think I've tried uninstalling Facebook before and it didn't make much of a difference.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The warning about disabling an app is standard. I doubt disabling Facebook will cause any problems, and if it did, you can easily re-enable it.

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok it kinda worries me to mess anything up on my phone though when it says that message, any thoughts from others on this topic? I'm open to ideas.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for your reply...have you tried that before and has it helped you personally? You sure disabling Facebook won't create other issues with my phone since it recommended not doing that? That's my only concern.
Yes, I deleted fb long ago. Put the phone in safe mode so you can confirm it's a 3rd party app causing it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Tips on how to fix this issue? I barely have any apps or other things on my phone so not sure why it's been doing this lately. I really don't want to factory reset if that's the only option. Thanks!
If you have the regular s7 and not the edge this probably what your going get out of it especially older battery now .

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, yes I have the regular S7 and I don't know how to put my phone into safe mode.

Also, not sure if just disabling Facebook and Messenger will fix my problem because I've tried that in the past and it only helped a little.

Any other ideas?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, yes I have the regular S7 and I don't know how to put my phone into safe mode.

Also, not sure if just disabling Facebook and Messenger will fix my problem because I've tried that in the past and it only helped a little.

Any other ideas?
Until you at least do what has already been advised, such as safe mode(Google it), and going through your settings, you are rehashing the same problem without doing the suggested fix. Me thinks it's getting a bit troll like. Complaining, but not doing anything for 2 months to help yourself. Block time.

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Lol...I'm not trolling. I'm simply saying what you are advising shouldn't be the way to do it and there should be easier ways to fix this issue. I'm scared of messing up something by going through safe mode. I don't even know what you would do once you go in safe mode? And even you yourself did not suggest safe mode until just now...this whole time you as a user having just said to get rid of the facebook app.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Lol...I'm not trolling. I'm simply saying what you are advising shouldn't be the way to do it and there should be easier ways to fix this issue. I'm scared of messing up something by going through safe mode. I don't even know what you would do once you go in safe mode? And even you yourself did not suggest safe mode until just now...this whole time you as a user having just said to get rid of the facebook app.
Your battery is past it's prime and probably will no longer get you the same amount of screen time. If you don't want to try what has been suggested then it's difficult or impossible to help you. I would disable Facebook and see if that helps. Facebook is a know resource hog and you don't need to worry about that warning. If that doesn't help the other thing to try is a factory reset. If that doesn't help then look into replacing the battery.

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Help has been offered by several members. Please try what they suggest, or if you don't care to, let's leave it at that.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm scared of messing up something by going through safe mode.

Quite the opposite. Safe mode is just that, a safe operating state that limits you to core necessary functions to help diagnose and rule out potentially harmful apps. It would be silly to call it safe mode if it could harm your phone.

Try the suggestions already mentioned. There's rarely a silver bullet answer to a given symptom, and it's a process of elimination to diagnose. You've been given advice from some of the top members of the forum. We are not going to suggest something that would harm your phone, so you should take their advice. The worst thing disabling the Facebook app will do is prevent you from using Facebook via their app.

Though, personally, I'm with Rukbat in thinking your battery itself is the issue. They don't last forever, and I'm guessing you've been inadvertently abusing it.

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
How am I inadvertently abusing it? I have barely any apps or storage on my phone. It has a lot less of anything compared to most users. I've already tried getting rid of the Facebook app and Messenger before and it didn't help much.

So still looking for options. I know others have had problems with this too.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
How am I inadvertently abusing it? I have barely any apps or storage on my phone. It has a lot less of anything compared to most users. I've already tried getting rid of the Facebook app and Messenger before and it didn't help much.

You mentioned in one of your earlier replies that you're not tech savvy. We've all been there and made mistakes, which is how we learned. Most people in your situation also don't understand how to best treat Li-ion batteries. In the past, it didn't matter much because they were cheap and user replaceable. Now that all the flagship phones have sealed batteries, we're getting a lot of complaints about battery performance going bad and users not knowing what to do.

In the majority of cases, people are not following best practices for Li-ion batteries, which is to try keeping it between 40-80%. They are either assuming they can be used as a deep cycle battery like a Ni-Cad battery, or simply not use to paying attention because it didn't use to cost so much to replace (not to mention the time factor). Keeping them at 100% and draining them completely both can have a large negative impact on overall battery life. Three years on the OEM battery is actually above average for casual users, but I'm guessing by your replies that you've been going well outside the recommended ranges. You can find out more info here.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Also note that I completely ignored your comment about barely having anything on your phone. That's because it doesn't matter if the battery itself is the problem, as I suspect.

You also were asking about how to get into safe mode. B. Diddy provided a link to instructions in post #5 of this thread. Yes, you shouldn't have to do that to simply use a phone but it's all part of the diagnostic steps to find the culprit. If you run it in safe mode and still have battery problems, then all this focus on Facebook is for nothing. At that point it's either something glitched with the core components that would likely require a factory reset, or the battery.

jagsfan05

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Checking back in. I tried disabling Facebook app while leaving the Messenger app installed on my phone. It didn't help and I am still having battery decrease issues.

Would love to continue seeking help! Thanks guys.