09-09-2019 12:16 PM
39 12
tools
    Tips on how to fix this issue? I barely have any apps or other things on my phone so not sure why it's been doing this lately. I really don't want to factory reset if that's the only option. Thanks!
    03-01-2019 11:35 AM
    Apps on the phone don't use any battery, it's apps that you run that do.

Why is the battery dying? Probably 2 reasons, combined. First, the phone is 3 years old this month. Second, you probably let the battery discharge regularly below 40%. Add them together and you get a dead battery. It has to be replaced. (And it you want to keep it going longer this time, try charging it at the 50% point, but never let it go below 40%. If you hit 40% and can't charge it, turn it off until you can.
    03-01-2019 12:49 PM
    Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
    2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
    3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
    4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.
    03-01-2019 11:23 PM
    Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
    2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
    3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
    4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.
    Ok also just wanted to make note that a lot of the battery draining seemed to happen close to a year ago when I had to update my phone to Version 8.0 Oreo update. I'm not super tech savy so I took as many pics of the things I think you asked for. Also, I saw on another post of mine that someone said to simply go to my Battery Usage screen, click Android System, then select Allow Background Activity to Off to help fix the problem? Your thoughts on that? He said it wouldn't affect my phone's performance in any way if I selected that to off.

Battery dying quicker on my Samsung Galaxy S7?-screenshot_20190304-154616_device-maintenance.jpg

Battery dying quicker on my Samsung Galaxy S7?-screenshot_20190304-154641_device-maintenance.jpg

Battery dying quicker on my Samsung Galaxy S7?-screenshot_20190304-154651_settings.jpg

Battery dying quicker on my Samsung Galaxy S7?-screenshot_20190304-154659_settings.jpg

Battery dying quicker on my Samsung Galaxy S7?-screenshot_20190304-154722_settings.jpg

Battery dying quicker on my Samsung Galaxy S7?-screenshot_20190304-154735_settings.jpg
    03-04-2019 04:52 PM
    Was it a relatively sudden change, or has this been gradual? A 2-3 year-old phone can really start to show its battery age (and frequent deep discharges can shorten that life span further), so this might just be the natural history of the battery. I'd consider uninstalling Facebook temporarily and use the Facebook mobile browser site to see if that gives you some battery life back, since FB is notorious for both battery and memory hogging. It might also be useful to see how long the battery lasts in Safe Mode for a day (which admittedly can be a hassle, since you can't use any 3rd party apps in Safe Mode) -- this can tell you if some app you installed is causing the battery drain: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28008

I wouldn't restrict Android System's background activity. You'd probably run into lots of glitches, since the system is required for so many different aspects of function.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-05-2019 10:25 PM
    It was a pretty sudden change once the Oreo, Version 8.0 got updated on my phone about a year or so ago. Yeah I've uninstalled Facebook before and it maybe helped a little but I was still having problems. I have seen people often talk about the same problems I've had with the battery drain...did they ever come up with a solution to their problems?
    03-07-2019 09:39 AM
    If you haven't already tried it, wipe the cache partition: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28028. If that doesn't work, the most common solution I've seen on most phones is to do a factory reset, which is obviously a hassle, but might be worth trying if you've exhausted other possibilities.
    03-07-2019 08:24 PM
    Thanks! I tried wiping the cache partition a few days ago but it didn't help any. I know others are suffering through this issue as well? Not really wanting to do a factory reset.
    03-11-2019 01:03 PM
    Use the Samsung + app and perform a diagnostic scan on your phone. It will find battery-savings tricks to improve life and even find apps that might be taxing your system in the background.
    03-12-2019 06:18 PM
    Use the Samsung + app and perform a diagnostic scan on your phone. It will find battery-savings tricks to improve life and even find apps that might be taxing your system in the background.
    Hmm, not sure what that is. Never heard of it before. I tried looking for the app in my play store but nothing came up? And again, I'm not sure that's it because again I don't have a lot of apps even on my phone.
    03-14-2019 04:37 PM
    Bumping this because again, I know others are having this issue.
    03-17-2019 12:30 PM
    Samsung + is available in the Galaxy Store not the Google Play Store
    03-18-2019 01:54 AM
    Ok thanks. BTW that brings up a question for me...what is the difference between the Google Play Store and Galaxy Store?

Any other tips on fixing my overall issue? Thanks.
    03-22-2019 02:50 PM
    the galaxy store is owned by samsung and access is through a separate samsung account. check the default samsung folder on your apps pages to find the "Galaxy Store" icon. my experience with the samsung+ was not positive as it increased battery usage
    03-23-2019 11:25 AM
    Delete the Facebook app and access it with a browser. Clear the cache partition and reboot after the deletion.
    03-23-2019 11:34 AM
    Delete the Facebook app and access it with a browser. Clear the cache partition and reboot after the deletion.
    Thanks, I think I've done that before...it's just so dumb that we have to do that as users? Like why can't we just have the Facebook app without having this issue? The problem is when you use Facebook with a browser it doesn't work as well.
    03-25-2019 10:47 AM
    Send feedback to Facebook. They seem to be messing up more often when it comes to both the Facebook app and Facebook Messenger on Android devices -- and possibly only on Samsung devices, since virtually all of the complaints on the forums are related to Samsung devices (not sure if this could just be due to how much Samsung dominates the market).
    03-25-2019 12:13 PM
    Send feedback to Facebook. They seem to be messing up more often when it comes to both the Facebook app and Facebook Messenger on Android devices -- and possibly only on Samsung devices, since virtually all of the complaints on the forums are related to Samsung devices (not sure if this could just be due to how much Samsung dominates the market).
    Thanks, just did that. Whether I hear back from them or they fix my issue is another story.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    03-25-2019 01:26 PM
    That's very true. Like any big company, it's going to take a certain critical mass of input before something's done, which is why I always encourage everyone with a problem to send feedback!
    03-25-2019 02:49 PM
    Exactly! I'm just confused...is this problem not talked about on here at all? Because I see it countless other times on other forums and such. I can't be the only one with the problem here can I?
    03-28-2019 05:52 PM
    Bump. Also, looks like I can't even uninstall Facebook app on my phone if I wanted to...it only gives an option for "disable" and then it says if you do that it might cause errors so I'm scared to do that. I can only uninstall Messenger app and not sure that will do anything. Plus I think I've tried uninstalling Facebook before and it didn't make much of a difference.
    04-02-2019 02:44 PM
    The warning about disabling an app is standard. I doubt disabling Facebook will cause any problems, and if it did, you can easily re-enable it.
    04-02-2019 06:04 PM
    Ok it kinda worries me to mess anything up on my phone though when it says that message, any thoughts from others on this topic? I'm open to ideas.
    04-07-2019 11:02 AM
    Yes, disable fb and delete fb messanger.
    04-07-2019 12:26 PM
    Yes, disable fb and delete fb messanger.
    Thanks for your reply...have you tried that before and has it helped you personally? You sure disabling Facebook won't create other issues with my phone since it recommended not doing that? That's my only concern.
    04-10-2019 12:00 PM
39 12