I reset my S7 and now it wants a Knox ID?

Kieethes

Sep 5, 2019
Visit site
I was having an issue with my phone flashing the flashlight and vibrating when I was getting a call. If I answered the call it would stop. If I let it ring out, or rejected the call it would keep flashing the flash until I restarted the phone. I deleted apps and reset settings and tried everything I could find.

I decided to do the factory data reset. Now it wants me to put in a Knox ID to continue. I don't have this or know how to get one. I can't use the home button, recent apps button, or see my home screen. I have no way to make calls or text.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Knox and can't help you there. If you do get through that, it sounds like that light flashing may have been one of the accessibility options turned on. So if it happens again, look in your phones main settings for the "accessibility" options. You should see one for hearing that takes you to a screen like this. Make sure the "flash alerts" option is turned off.Capture+_2019-09-11-05-19-00.jpeg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The "Knox" that comes in the phone is just a stub to attach the actual Knox software to, so evidently at some point, someone installed Knox in the phone. (If it's a work phone, ask IT to unlock it.)

At very worst, if it's not a work phone, you bought it new, and you never installed Knox, reflash the stock ROM (see [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN). You should still be able to restart in download mode. (That's baked in, it's not controlled by Knox.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I was having an issue with my phone flashing the flashlight and vibrating when I was getting a call. If I answered the call it would stop. If I let it ring out, or rejected the call it would keep flashing the flash until I restarted the phone. I deleted apps and reset settings and tried everything I could find.

I decided to do the factory data reset. Now it wants me to put in a Knox ID to continue. I don't have this or know how to get one. I can't use the home button, recent apps button, or see my home screen. I have no way to make calls or text.
I like to see a screenshot of it saying Knox id?
Never seen that before.

Kieethes

Sep 5, 2019
Visit site
I online chatted with Verizon, who didn't know anything about it, understandably. I online chatted with Samsung who knew a little bit, but were a waste of time, mostly due to the tech person on the other end. I called Knox, and got passed around a bit until I told them what I thought happened, and then they agreed and I went to work 1.5 hours later than I wanted to. I bought the phone from an Ebay reseller as new. I bet the reseller got it in a lot of unused phones from some big company. That big company has Knox on all the phones. My phone was past the Knox startup point when I got it, so it worked as intended. When I reset it, it went before that point, asking me to sign in. I posted a photo I took from my wife's phone, but looks like it needs approval as of now.

Kieethes

Sep 5, 2019
Visit site
So I can't use this phone because the serial number is in the Knox database and can only be released by original company that had the phone. I ordered another off Ebay, since they are cheap, work ok, and that is all I need.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes , back then on older Samsung phones you had the ability to use Knox for work abd keep the other side for personal. Now if you don't Know the password,pin , fingerprint for that side of knox your out of luck . Verizon certainly can't help and I doubt Samsung or Knox themselves can help .