SMS response to shortcodes causes phone app to crash

servo75

Oct 11, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have a Galaxy S7 operating on 8.0 Oreo using the Total Wireless Network (Verizon).

I believe this issue first showed itself last year after the Oreo update but I can't be certain.

Whenever I get messages from Shortcodes (like Walgreens to sign up for text messages for medication notices from 21525, whenever I respond to any of those types of messages, the message spins for awhile, then I get an error pop up:

"The process com.android.phone has stopped". and it kills the app.

I've tried clearing data and cache from both the messaging app and message services, as well as the 3 system phone apps.

I've tried to send in Safe Mode with the same error, so it doesn't appear to be an app conflict.

I've tried adding the short code to my contacts and it still causes the error.

I looked to see if I needed to allow permissions for premium SMS messaging and no apps exist in the menu for it.

I've basically tried everything that I could find on google search short of a factory reset, which I don't want to do.

It happens with all short codes, yet I have no issue messaging regular phone numbers.

Appreciate the help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you checked with Total Wireless to see if there's some carrier-side setting that needs to be turned on to enable short codes?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci