picture shows image different from actual picture taken

Jonathan58

Dec 2, 2019
Visit site
I took a beautiful sun setting at our event center. Looks normal since most panoramic shots give you the option to view as a picture or video the way the picture was originally made. When i viewed this as a panoramic.... i was surprised. The auto tag in the camera said it was a forest, a tree lined horizon appeared where they usually do not. No horizons like that exist in my phone....it was not there when I took the picture. So i took another shot a few seconds later.... completely normal. Any camera geeks please explain?

Jonathan58

Dec 2, 2019
Visit site
Why is this panoramic shot showing something on screen that was not in the original shot?

I took a foto with my Samsung s7 in panoramic mode. A beautiful sun setting at our event center, so i decided to take a shot. Looks normal since most panoramic shots give you the option to view as a picture or video the way the picture was originally made. When i viewed this as a panoramic.... i was surprised. The auto tag in the camera said it was a forest, a tree lined horizon appeared where they usually do not. No horizons like that exist in my phone....it was not there when I took the picture. So i took another shot a few seconds later.... completely normal. Any camera geeks please explain? I do not believe a parallel universe opened or, ufo... but i can't figure this out?????

Jonathan58

Dec 2, 2019
Visit site
Here is the foto. Original size is 18 meg. I took another panoramic standing in the same spot, but it did not show the mid horizon line of trees. I'm not sure what it is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191202-114545_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191202-114545_Gallery.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 4

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
What's not there, from the sun up? Or from what looks like a bank of clouds up? (That grey gradient ending in a jagged line near the top could be internal reflections of the sun. In the panoramic shot the angle was different, so you didn't get that effect.)

Or are you talking about the trees at the bottom third of the picture, with the one tall tree in the foreground?

Jonathan58

Dec 2, 2019
Visit site
The double horizon disappears when you play it as a motion panorama..... the double horizon... was never there when i took the picture. I live in the mountains. There is not a flat horizon anywhere close to where this picture was taken or in my gallery. If you zoom in it appears to be a tree line. The bright dot is the moon.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It makes me think the camera software was stitching the panorama together incorrectly. Just to clarify -- the screenshot you showed with the double horizon is when you view the panorama as only a single portrait-orientation shot?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you seen this happen with other motion panoramic shots? You mentioned taking another shot, but I wasn't sure if you meant another motion panoramic shot, or just a still shot of the same horizon.

If the same thing happens with some consistency when taking motion panoramas, then I'd send feedback to Samsung about it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was it a pretty smooth horizontal pan that you did, or did you move the phone up and down significantly?