Hi Guys,

Yesterday I was at my partners house and was on my phone ( galaxy s7), scrolling through a website. I was connected to her internet/wifi. Then all of a sudden I noticed that the wifi had completely turned itself off as the website I was on came up blank, showing no connection. This was very random and only happened once. Is anyone able to explain why my phone would do this. It's never happened before.

Thanks guys
    01-19-2020 09:33 PM
    Hi welcome!
    Probably something glitch with router , if it happened just once be hard to say except every time you're there keep a eye on it. Did it happen to your partner's phone also?
    MattyG1990 likes this.
    01-19-2020 09:39 PM
    I don't think that WiFi dropping for one reason or another is unusual, so you're not alone. Some members will be surprised that you've never experienced it before.

Edit: I experienced a dropped connection a few minutes after posting my reply. I'm rather far from the router and do not have the extender switched on. Reconnection was simple and quick: switch WiFi off and then on again.
    MattyG1990 likes this.
    01-20-2020 05:17 AM
    Are you saying it dropped connection or the wifi turned off on your phone?
    MattyG1990 likes this.
    01-20-2020 08:49 AM
    I used to get that all the time at mo old house, when I was sitting on the deck, and my wife turned the microwave on for a minute to heat a cup of coffee. The microwave was in a direct line between my chair on the deck and the router in the equipment closet (an actual closet in that house). No way my 100mw WiFi signal was going to get through 1,200W of garbage signal (microwave oven signals are incredibly dirty) on almost the same frequency. Just for a minute. Off, on and by that time the oven was off and the signal reconnected. (I never even thought about it - I knew she would be out in a few seconds.)
    01-20-2020 02:25 PM
    I used to get that all the time at mo old house, when I was sitting on the deck, and my wife turned the microwave on for a minute to heat a cup of coffee. The microwave was in a direct line between my chair on the deck and the router in the equipment closet (an actual closet in that house). No way my 100mw WiFi signal was going to get through 1,200W of garbage signal (microwave oven signals are incredibly dirty) on almost the same frequency. Just for a minute. Off, on and by that time the oven was off and the signal reconnected. (I never even thought about it - I knew she would be out in a few seconds.)
    My microwave used to interfere with my laptop connection even though it wasnt inbetween the router and the laptop. Nowadays it doesnt..... dont recall if anything changed.
    01-20-2020 02:46 PM
    If it's close to the router, or close to the computer, it also causes problems. (And I had a double-whammy - the deck was off the kitchen.)

(Looking at a microwave on a spectrum analyzer is interesting - if any radio transmitter - even a cellphone - transmitted that garbage, there'd be a fleet of FCC trucks outside your door to shut you down. But we can't do without our microwaves, and the transmit distance isn't that great, so it's allowed.

at around 4:35 to 5:30, shows how much garbage there still is at WiFi frequencies.
    belodion likes this.
    01-20-2020 03:03 PM
    Hi Mike Dee,

So the actual Wifi turned off on my phone. Never has happened before at her house. Was just curious how it would of completely turned off by itself

Cheers mate
    01-22-2020 03:11 AM
    Hi Mustang7757,

I am not exactly sure if it happened to her phone or not, just happened to mine, randomly that's all

Cheers,

Matt
    01-22-2020 03:12 AM
    Hi Belodion,

Yeah Its just something that I have never experienced, the Wifi actually switching itself off on my phone. Good to know its just not me that has problems with their phones!

Cheers

Matt
    01-22-2020 03:16 AM
    Hi Mike Dee,

So the actual Wifi turned off on my phone. Never has happened before at her house. Was just curious how it would of completely turned off by itself

Cheers mate
    Since it happened only once it could be the wifi got turned off by an accidental touch. All kinds of setting changes and typing goes on in my pocket. It could also be a third party app that conflicted with the wifi setting. All speculation on my part at this point. I wouldn't be too concerned at this point unless it becomes a regular occurrence.
    MattyG1990 likes this.
    01-22-2020 05:21 AM
    Hi Mustang7757,

I am not exactly sure if it happened to her phone or not, just happened to mine, randomly that's all

Cheers,

Matt
    Hi Matt welcome !

I moved your thread to s7 forum for better visibility.
    01-22-2020 07:00 AM