My Galaxy S7 crashed and won't turn on anymore.

maharanitobe

Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
This morning my S7 crashed. I was just using Twitter and suddenly the screen froze. It stayed like that for a few minutes and then eventually turned off.

Now the phone won't turn back on, even though it was on 100% charge. The screen is completely black and when I plug it in not even the charging light shows up (tried it with different USB cables too).

I tried all different button combinations that I could find:
Volume up + Home + Powerkey
Volume down + Powerkey for 10 sec
Holding the Powerkey for 30 sec

Nothing shows up on the screen. When I plug it in to my Laptop it isn't being recognized either.

Does anyone have any other ideas what I could try?
I would really appreciate your help.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
This is what I do in situations like this....

The S7 is the only phone that I ever had a problem with and ever had to get replaced under insurance. It ran so hot fresh out of the box that it was burning my hand. The battery eventually expanded and blew the back cover off. The replacement would overheat, lockup, and shutdown after only 15 minutes of video recording. Got a S10 and it cleared up all the problems I had with the S7. Your phone is probably dead. The S10 is a billion times better in every way - I would look into getting a S10. Where do you live? I do have a working and mint looking S7 laying around complete with box and everything if it's worth $80 to you. I'd rather use a S5 than a S7, lol, the S7 is crap-ola IMO.

maharanitobe

Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
I had the S7 for over a year and until today it actually worked pretty well. I want to be sure that it is actually dead before I get a new phone. I read on some other posts that their S7 miraculously recovered after leavening it be for a few hours, so I will wait some time before looking into getting a new phone. What bothers me the most is all the photos I still have on there that I won't be able to recover.

maharanitobe

Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
I have a lot of them on my SD card, but some were just on the phone. I was going to do a backup of the pictures today but that was too late I guess :-\ I'm not a big fan of having all my pictures in a cloud.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If it still doesn't work after several hours, you'd probably have to bring it to a repair shop. Maybe all they'd have to do is replace the battery. But if the problem is with the motherboard, then it's probably not worth the repair cost.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
It ran so hot fresh out of the box that it was burning my hand
Lol sounds like the BlackBerry Priv before it got the MarshMallow update.

I also had used an S7 Exynos back in 2017 until I switched to a KEYone and it was the best decision I had made

maharanitobe

Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
The battery had no issues until today so I don't think that is the problem. Do you think it makes sense to let the battery run empty and then recharge the phone? Because of Corona all repair shops around me are closed and I'm not sure if they would still take phones that are sent in.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The battery had no issues until today so I don't think that is the problem. Do you think it makes sense to let the battery run empty and then recharge the phone? Because of Corona all repair shops around me are closed and I'm not sure if they would still take phones that are sent in.
Run it to 5% then fully charge to recalibrate the battery see what happens

Jorisvh

Feb 27, 2021
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue. Phone is about 3 years old, original battery. After a lot of freezings/crashings the screen is now black and I cannot turn it on. I tried holding:

volume up + power
volume down + power
Both volume buttons + power
Home + volume up + power
and probably more combinations

Battery was 40% when I last used it when it started feezing. Can someone help? You would be the hero of my weekend:)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! As already discussed above, it's probably either a failed battery or motherboard. I assume you've already let it charge on a wall outlet for at least 6 hours undisturbed? And when you tried those button combinations, you held them down for at least 30 seconds each time?

Jorisvh

Feb 27, 2021
Visit site
Hi thank you for your reply. I decided to bring it to a repair shop. Turned out the motherboard/processor become too hot. I can work on the phone for 10 minutes if I put it in the fridge first. 10 minutes was just long enough to make a backup and transfer files.

This all happened after moderately using the Samsung S7 for 3 years (average of 3 hours per day).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers