My Galaxy S8 Active Will Not Update Software

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

Larry Coffin

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Mustang7757 - I got the refurbished phone today, so now that I have a good one, I hope, I would like to go ahead and learn how to flash (?) the ROM on the other one. Never to old to learn and I learn by doing. A junior in HS I bought a 61 Chevy Impala 409, 4 speed. The carb needed overhauling, never seen the inside of one, no idea how they worked til I tore it apsrt, went to the library, went home and fixed it.
That said, I'll download the Odin, and if I need it, the SamFirm. If you can tell me which to use first and what settings to use, I'll try to get it running right. I just need to know where to start and the settings. There is stuff like BL (I figure that is Boot Load) and some others.
I had a good day today and pray I'll feel good for couple more days and git 'er done.
Would you mind helping on this?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mustang7757 - I got the refurbished phone today, so now that I have a good one, I hope, I would like to go ahead and learn how to flash (?) the ROM on the other one. Never to old to learn and I learn by doing. A junior in HS I bought a 61 Chevy Impala 409, 4 speed. The carb needed overhauling, never seen the inside of one, no idea how they worked til I tore it apsrt, went to the library, went home and fixed it.
That said, I'll download the Odin, and if I need it, the SamFirm. If you can tell me which to use first and what settings to use, I'll try to get it running right. I just need to know where to start and the settings. There is stuff like BL (I figure that is Boot Load) and some others.
I had a good day today and pray I'll feel good for couple more days and git 'er done.
Would you mind helping on this?
Sure no problem ,
Just go over post #20 which is my guidelines on how to do it , any questions in between I can help

Immy74

Aug 29, 2022
Visit site
I was not having any problems with my phone until a few days ago. I don't recall what it was,but something said my phone was rooted. I downloaded SuperSU and a couple other apps that said my phone is NOT rooted.
I tried clearing the cache using the volume up/Bixby/Power keys, and even used that process to do a factory reset. I still cannot update the software. It says Processing Failed.
I have been at this for 3 days, watching YouTube tutorials, trying methods from various websites, but nothing works. I can't really put my finger on the problem, but my phone just acts kinda weird sometimes, but overall seems to work fine. I can install and update apps, my browsers work fine (I mostly use Brave Anonymous View which works great), and occasionally DuckDuckGo (but don't really like it. I'm just kicking the tires on it).
I've read about flashing the ROM (or something like that) using something called Odin, and all this installing this and that, connecting phone to PC, and according to some that will put a new OS on the phone in place of the messed up OS.
I bought it refurbished through Walmart Online 3 or 4 months ago. Almost all my PCs ( I now am running 3 different refurbished HP PCs, the monitors are refurbished, a couple of TVs,all bought over the past 6 years) are all refurbished and have only had to exchange one PC out of about 10 that I've purchased.
but as I said, the phone worked fine until a few days ago.
Anyone have any suggestions as to a solution? I don't have any money to buy another phone, so I have no choice but to try every way to fix this one. Because of age, health problems, and living alone, I depend on this phone to work in case of needing 911 or one of my doctors in an emergency.
I will admit that I down to begging for help on this, and I don't like begging but I have to with this. Its either buy a new phone and keep putting air in the left rear tire every 3 days.

So here is yet another confusing issue for SM-G892U .... Phone works great as it should, however I believe in May of 2021, the last firmware update was pushed OTA. Phone updated, screen never came back on. Different then the BSOD (or deep sleep mode). I called Samsung, they created a ticked to bring phone to a "Authorized Samsung Repair" which was a UbreakIfix place. Guy had it for 2 days, closed ticket saying he couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Fine, bought yet another Samsung phone, but didn't give up on this S8 active and toss it in the trash. One of my kids broke their phone, so while i was at work, they went through my old devices, and charged up the S8 Active. I used Samsung Dex, and sure enough, phone was still alive, but however screen still didn't come off black screen. Decided to turn on AOD, and sure enough double tap screen and it went on, however pushing the power button, no screen turn on. Called Samsung, they said I can send phone back in and pay out of pocket for them to troubleshoot it. Said nope, and got out ODIN, and latest firmware and flashed it. Came back good, however, due to the BL, it didn't flash it. Called Samsung back to argue with them that its their issue, since they have the firmware made for them, and they distribute to the carriers, that then push OTA to us. So they have no other helpful info to share with me but basically a middle finger. Anyone else getting the same feeling that its a firmware issue? Unfortunately in dev opts, there is no option for unlock OEM. Any feedback would be apprenticed.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So here is yet another confusing issue for SM-G892U .... Phone works great as it should, however I believe in May of 2021, the last firmware update was pushed OTA. Phone updated, screen never came back on. Different then the BSOD (or deep sleep mode). I called Samsung, they created a ticked to bring phone to a "Authorized Samsung Repair" which was a UbreakIfix place. Guy had it for 2 days, closed ticket saying he couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Fine, bought yet another Samsung phone, but didn't give up on this S8 active and toss it in the trash. One of my kids broke their phone, so while i was at work, they went through my old devices, and charged up the S8 Active. I used Samsung Dex, and sure enough, phone was still alive, but however screen still didn't come off black screen. Decided to turn on AOD, and sure enough double tap screen and it went on, however pushing the power button, no screen turn on. Called Samsung, they said I can send phone back in and pay out of pocket for them to troubleshoot it. Said nope, and got out ODIN, and latest firmware and flashed it. Came back good, however, due to the BL, it didn't flash it. Called Samsung back to argue with them that its their issue, since they have the firmware made for them, and they distribute to the carriers, that then push OTA to us. So they have no other helpful info to share with me but basically a middle finger. Anyone else getting the same feeling that its a firmware issue? Unfortunately in dev opts, there is no option for unlock OEM. Any feedback would be apprenticed.
Welcome to AC!
Download Friday firmware tool from XDA forum that way u get the latest firmware from your device then we can go from there, what state is the device in now?

Immy74

Aug 29, 2022
Visit site
20220831_195810[1].jpg

At the current moment, this is all I can do on this phone. Double tap the screen for AOD. Power button just gives me a black screen. This is why I think its the firmware. Running the phone with USB-C to hdmi, everything works fine on phone. Through Sam Dex same. Will download Friday firmware tool, however like I stated, T-Mobile version has a BL lock and Odin said "Successful" however it was flashed correctly.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
View attachment 348188

At the current moment, this is all I can do on this phone. Double tap the screen for AOD. Power button just gives me a black screen. This is why I think its the firmware. Running the phone with USB-C to hdmi, everything works fine on phone. Through Sam Dex same. Will download Friday firmware tool, however like I stated, T-Mobile version has a BL lock and Odin said "Successful" however it was flashed correctly.
Sorry meant to say frija firmware tool not Friday lol

Immy74

Aug 29, 2022
Visit site
Yeah I figured that, already d/led it and its current what with what I should have. So whats the work around on the BL that will actually work?

Immy74

Aug 29, 2022
Visit site
I took it to a UbreakIfix place as per Samsung request last year, and after 2 days of them having it, they put "Unknown" or the ticket back to Samsung Repair. For the BL unlock, is it a normal apk? or do I need to run via sdcard in recovery mode? I haven't had to tweak a phone since the days of Huawei Ascend M860.... that was my first phone, and it needed serious tweaks back then. Can I see recovery mode via hdmi from usb-c?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I took it to a UbreakIfix place as per Samsung request last year, and after 2 days of them having it, they put "Unknown" or the ticket back to Samsung Repair. For the BL unlock, is it a normal apk? or do I need to run via sdcard in recovery mode? I haven't had to tweak a phone since the days of Huawei Ascend M860.... that was my first phone, and it needed serious tweaks back then. Can I see recovery mode via hdmi from usb-c?
I'm not sure what you mean by BL APK ?
Flashing through Odin pretty straight forward
You download your firmware from frija to your computer then open up Odin the first 4 slots in Odin you extract the firmware you download take the 4 firmware files and put in corresponding slots in Odin and done

Immy74

Aug 29, 2022
Visit site
am very aware how odin works, however if you read all the other messages that lead up to this, you would had seen that this firmware is (BL) Bootloader locked. It will show that firmware is success, however it is not. You stated before in this forum that you had a way to get around the BL. When I stated BL apk, I'm simply stating using twrp or clockworks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
am very aware how odin works, however if you read all the other messages that lead up to this, you would had seen that this firmware is (BL) Bootloader locked. It will show that firmware is success, however it is not. You stated before in this forum that you had a way to get around the BL. When I stated BL apk, I'm simply stating using twrp or clockworks.
You don't need bootloader unlock just flashing stock firmware , you would need that for custom ROM

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You'll be able get by tonight?

All US firmware carrier bootloader locked so no need for OEM unlock in Developers setting to flash stock Samsung firmware.

You might want try flashing to unlock firmware using SM-G892U1 region XAA
Odin prince comsey (patch B)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol