Galaxy S8 Active coming in the near future!

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Cricket Jiminy

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
I'm not excited, considering my experiences with the Galaxy S7 Active.

- AT&T and Samsung released this with certain promises of water resistance. When it was found out the claims didn't "hold water", they refused to take the phones back for good ones.
- The abominably late Nougat OS update... even later than the inexcusablly late Nougat OS update for the other S7 models.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
- AT&T and Samsung released this with certain promises of water resistance. When it was found out the claims didn't "hold water", they refused to take the phones back for good ones.

Incorrect and/or outdated information. Samsung built the phones, not At&t. Samsung promised water resistance and this was later shown to be not as resistant as promised in early production runs. This was later addressed.

At&t would not process warranty claims for any device showing a red indicator because that was not what Samsung specified in the warranty terms. As of last fall this was changed to be covered under the warranty. Any s7 Active within 1 year of purchase that needed to be replaced qualifies as long as the phone does not show physical damage.

The bad part is if you drop it in water after the 1 year you are nor covered. I think the 8 series will address this concern. Look at all the videos of people swimming with s7, Note 7, and now s8 devices, I have no qualms about preordering this ASAP.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Incorrect and/or outdated information. Samsung built the phones, not At&t. Samsung promised water resistance and this was later shown to be not as resistant as promised in early production runs. This was later addressed.

At&t would not process warranty claims for any device showing a red indicator because that was not what Samsung specified in the warranty terms. As of last fall this was changed to be covered under the warranty. Any s7 Active within 1 year of purchase that needed to be replaced qualifies as long as the phone does not show physical damage.

The bad part is if you drop it in water after the 1 year you are nor covered. I think the 8 series will address this concern. Look at all the videos of people swimming with s7, Note 7, and now s8 devices, I have no qualms about preordering this ASAP.

Thanks Justin - I totally agree. I bought mine last summer and it's been in the water and is still working fine... and I wasn't concerned about the Nougat update being late.

Cricket Jiminy

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site

Not incorrect or outdated. I said "AT&T and Samsung released this". That is completely correct. I purchased one of the first in the stores on the day it was released. I found out later a large proportion of them were defective in the waterproofing. They told me they would not take it back and give me a good phone: I had to drown it FIRST before they would replace it with a good one they were supposed to have sold me in the fisrt place.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
They took back my very early production run model no questions and sent me one built just after the flaw was supposed to have been corrected. Sadly, the replacement phone got an external speaker rattle after I got some motor oil or something on it (can't remember exact details). When they replaced THAT phone, I was given a phone made just before the release date. I asked for that phone to be swapped for one made after the "fix" but no dice. Oh well, it's held up just fine.

I was one of the folks that bought this phone because of lifestyle/need. I've ruined two iPhones because of water/sweat thanks to logging serious running miles with the phone. Both times I've replaced with an Active (4 and 7) Both phones have been great and had the same weakness with my use-battery life, as many of you know from my constant complaints.

Whether I'll replace this phone with another Active is up in the air. I really hate the added bulk. I may go back to the iPhone again now that they've got somewhat similar water resistance. Or may at least go to a regular Galaxy.

I did get a survey from AT&T a month or so after my initial purchase asking me what I would want in the next Active. Gave me all sorts of questions about plastic, glass, kevlar, and what types of textures I thought would make the phone better. I'm anxious to see just how much the new Active changes.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I know some don't like the bulky 'Active' versions but for me, they are fantastic for 2 reasons and because of these reasons I'm happy to have the 'downsides' 🙃

The first being battery life. The S7 comes with a 3,000mAh battery, but the active, adds an additional 1,000mAh to that! That's some juice for the weekend as well.

The next is the 'shatter resistance' for the screen. We see so many friends and family with cracked screens and to have that security of, if I drop my phone, everything will be fine, is worth it to me :)

While I'm very excited for the normal S8 and all its amazing features. The active version just ups the ante a little and I love it. :)

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I know some don't like the bulky 'Active' versions but for me, they are fantastic for 2 reasons and because of these reasons I'm happy to have the 'downsides' ������

The first being battery life. The S7 comes with a 3,000mAh battery, but the active, adds an additional 1,000mAh to that! That's some juice for the weekend as well.

The next is the 'shatter resistance' for the screen. We see so many friends and family with cracked screens and to have that security of, if I drop my phone, everything will be fine, is worth it to me :)

While I'm very excited for the normal S8 and all its amazing features. The active version just ups the ante a little and I love it. :)

Ah but see, that's the thing for me. I wouldn't mind the bulk if I got the benefit!!! I get no battery life benefit over my iPhone 6 Plus. Don't know why. I have oodles of apps but try to delete the ones I don't use regularly. I've run various app closers/cleaners like greenify, cleanmaster, 360 security, etc. But what's crazy is, every now and then, battery life is great! Take today, for example. Normally by now (1 pm), I'd be at about 40%. That's with waking up between 4-5 am, going for a run while listening to Sirius XM streaming, reading FB on and off while I eat and get ready for work, then periodically texting and FB messaging during the day.

Today, I added watching Amazon Prime Video for an hour while running on the treadmill at lunch. My battery life is just at 72! The last time this happened was for about a week after the Nougat upgrade. I don't know what app it is that causes all my issues. But I kept the same suite of apps on my iPhone and never saw drain issues like this.

As for the screen, I've shattered 1 screen in 10 years of smart phone use and that was during a very brief period that I had an iPhone out of a case. That's with drops too numerous to count. My kids can shatter a screen just by looking at it on their phones, I admit. But with all the complaints on here from day one about scratches and blemishes on the screen, I've not gone a day without a tempered glass screen protector on my S7 Active.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I do not see the added bulk as a problem.

I was playing with an s6 Active the other day and it is less bulky than the required Pelican case on my work s7. Less bulky that my s7 Edge with an Otterbox symmetry case. My s7 Active with tempered glass was just right. Plus an Active slides in and out of my back pocket snag free.

I'm not counting on the next one having 4000 mah though, just speculation but I would not be surprised if it is 3600.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
When you run with it and it's slapping you in your bolts and sprockets every step, it's a problem. Especially over 20 miles or so. I use a running belt and the pocket always ends up front and center.

I kept my iPhone in a lifeproof and it didn't feel this bulky, only bigger. Of course, whole reason for my latest Active was water ingress through the "lifeproof." But the Active is a very dense phone b/c the extra bulk comes in large part b/c of the heavy battery. Just annoying to me personally.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm still waiting for the Note 8 but I can't wait to see what this one is going to look like as I've really enjoyed my time with my S7 Active. It has served me really well since Samsung took away my Note 7 last year!!! Who knows, if the Note 8 doesn't fit my needs... they're saying 6.3" screen and the same format as the S8+ - that means Tall and Skinny! 6.3" Tall and Skinny... I don't know if I can handle that? I guess I'll have to actually hold one and use it with the SPen and see how it performs then decide - if not, S8 Active!!!

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Im still going back and forth.

My neice needs her iPhone replaced and does not want another. The s8 is great other than it being a crack waiting to happen. If the s8 Active rolls out with the ability to BOGO I may jump on it. Then again I may wait for the Note to decide, because upgrade fees right now would be about $300.

She's not getting a Note, thats for sho.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I saw this no buttons on the front thing and it bothers me. Not so much from the "active" point of view. But rather from the normal everyday use. I like the tactile feel of buttons. So, without the buttons, is the shock resistance and glass going to be the only thing that separates it from a normal galaxy?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles