Tech21 cases

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
It was my favorite case on my S7e but I got it at a steep discount about 7montha after launch. Not interested in it at $40 for my s8

DannyE30

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Anyone have any feedback on these cases for the S8 Plus?

I have the "Evo Check" case, I had one on my Note5 prior to my S8+. Overall, I like the look and feel of the case. Doesn't add much bulk(perfect amount for me), adds a good amount of grip, and looks good(subjective).

Only real gripes I have with it;

The side buttons take a little more force/pressure than other cases to press. My brother has 3 cases, they all are MUCH easier to press in.

Also, by doing research, as well as personal experience, there aren't many screen protectors (Plastic and Tempered Glass) that fit this case. Although, I just recently saw someone put one of those Whitestone Dome Glass protectors and it looks to fit pretty well. But that's $45, half of what my deductible is for my insurance, so that's something I will have to think about.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Tried out one of the Tech21 cases at Best Buy and the damn buttons were a pain to press. Loved the fit and finish but opted for the the Speck - Presidio Grip Case in all black. Like the grip and the buttons actually work.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Tried out one of the Tech21 cases at Best Buy and the damn buttons were a pain to press. Loved the fit and finish but opted for the the Speck - Presidio Grip Case in all black. Like the grip and the buttons actually work.

I'm not a fan of Tech 21. Their cases are too slick and just too thin for the protection I want.

However, there is one Tech 21 case I loved and that was the Tactical XT. That is their version of the Defender basically. They made it for the Note 7 and I loved it. I hope they make it for the s8 because I'll get it then. It looks like they quit making that line though.

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I went exact same scenario. I loved the Tech21 case because of its non-slippery surface. But, many S8/S8+ case manufacturers end up creating a canoe-shaped design in order to accommodate the S8's curved glass, and Tech21 is no exception. In my opinion, it still remained too exposed. However, Speck's Presidio Grip actually adds just enough lip on the sides to protect while giving access to the curved edge.

Add the fact that it just won't slide at all on across a table or floor because of its ribbed backside makes it a keeper in my book.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
They are ok but lack any kind of front lip protection, if you drop it screen side down there is very little protection

Yep. I just wonder what is so special about their cases that warrant the high prices of it for the little protection if offers for the screen as well as camera and back protection.

Their Tactical XT case was a good case for the Note 7 and very protective. It's the only case I'd buy from Tech21 but they're not making it anymore.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I have one, and so far its done a good job of protecting my phone from being thrown across the house by our baby. I have the check, and she has the lace. the lip is small, but then again my phone has landed face down a few times and its ok, so I guess I cant complain. between the baby and my job, I needed something protective, and this was the only one I could find that wasn't bulky.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The lip protection for the screen and camera isn't great though. Anything slightly uneven and they can get shattered. Never been a fan of their cases except the Tactical XT they made for Iphone 7 and the Note 7 but are not making it anymore they told me.

Personally for tech21 money I'd buy the Defender or a Unicorn Beetle or I Blason Armorbox which the later two are much cheaper in cost as well.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
The lip protection for the screen and camera isn't great though. Anything slightly uneven and they can get shattered. Never been a fan of their cases except the Tactical XT they made for Iphone 7 and the Note 7 but are not making it anymore they told me.

Personally for tech21 money I'd buy the Defender or a Unicorn Beetle or I Blason Armorbox which the later two are much cheaper in cost as well.

Agreed, the Defender is far superior protection, I was just impressed at how well the Tech handled those drops.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, the Defender is far superior protection, I was just impressed at how well the Tech handled those drops.

I'm wondering if they're soon coming out with the Defender with screen protectors because Amazon has quit selling the Defender for the S8 Plus. If it is like the S7 Edge, it will be almost unbearable to use and if you remove it it will cause the phone to become loose in the case due to the different design of the case due to the edges.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering if they're soon coming out with the Defender with screen protectors because Amazon has quit selling the Defender for the S8 Plus. If it is like the S7 Edge, it will be almost unbearable to use and if you remove it it will cause the phone to become loose in the case due to the different design of the case due to the edges.

I want no part of the screen protector, I am very happy with the screenless edition

natefish

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
After reading the criticisms some users have said on here... Why in the actual h*ll would I pay $40 for a less than perfect case? Seems could do just as well for $10-$15.

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I I loved the Tech 21 case on my S7, but like previous posters, I found the buttons on the S8 cases too hard to press. I tried the Check and the Tactical and both were similarly difficult. I am going with the Otterbox Commuter for now. I'm surprised at how much I like it. I had not liked Otterbox cases in the past.

Brian White3

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Returned the OtterBox Symmetry for the Tech21 Evo Tactical for my S8. Like this case better since it is slimmer and the grip seems better. The sides arre not bad at all. The Speck Presidio Grip made my screen protector bubble up even though the lip seems the same as the Tech21.

ahiqar

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
I I loved the Tech 21 case on my S7, but like previous posters, I found the buttons on the S8 cases too hard to press. I tried the Check and the Tactical and both were similarly difficult. I am going with the Otterbox Commuter for now. I'm surprised at how much I like it. I had not liked Otterbox cases in the past.
Quick update: after trying the otter box for a few days I returned it and decided to go back to the Tech 21. I prefer the slimmer form factor, and I decided I could live with the buttons. The power button is the toughest at this point. The volume buttons are not bad. I don't use the Bixby button.

Robbyrobb

Mar 3, 2018
Visit site
I like the teck21 case for the s8+. It fits well and the button still work as well. The only thing and i know this will be a problem with probably all of the cases is that when you have your edge lighting for messages that encircle the screen in blue are less visable. Other than that case feels great and looks great!