Master the hidden features of Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus is packed with lots of hidden features. In this video, let us look at some of the best hidden features of S8/S8+.

Floating camera button
Now you can have an extra camera shutter button that you can move around and drop it anywhere on the screen at your comfort. Very useful if you are taking wide angle selfies or capturing photos in various angles.

Switch cameras
Once you are in the camera app, you can press the power key twice to quickly switch between front and rear cameras!

Selective focus mode for selfies
The S8/S8+ front camera now supports the selective focus mode which puts the near object in focus while blurring the background. This is a great feature to make your selfies even better!

Motion Wallpaper for your lock screen
Along with the Infiniti Wallpaper, another exclusive wallpaper for S8/S8+ is the Motion Wallpapers for your lock screen which gives a motion effect as you tilt/move your phone when on the lock screen.

Multi Wallpaper for your lock screen
Along with the Infiniti Wallpaper, another exclusive wallpaper for S8/S8+ is the Multi Wallpapers for your lock screen. When applied, you will be treated with a different wallpaper when you visit your lock screen.

Notification reminders
You can set up additional notification reminders for certain apps to remind you until you have addressed that notification. For example, you can set a notification reminder for your text messages so you get reminded every 5 mins until you have read those text messages.

Interaction control mode
With the interaction control mode, you can block certain areas or the whole screen before you give your phone to your kids or friends. It helps from someone to accidentally send a message or open facebook/twitter etc., apps.

Move apps to external storage
You can extend the S8/S8+ storage using a microSD card. While you can store your photos, music, and videos in this external storage, you can also move supported apps to external storage.

Do you know more hidden features? Share them in the comments below!

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I didn't know about the camera switch trick and didn't notice the Selective Focus now on the front camera! The shots look great! Thanks for those! :D (Goes on a selfie rampage)

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
on the camera app you can even more quickly switch cameras by swiping up on the screen + i found a vid couple days ago to add mobile hotspot and mobile data tiles in the notification shade and there's a way to add immersive mode too with adb (it's pretty easy tbh just a bit of tinkering and you need a computer).

Edit: something i discovered by accident , if you disable the google app (i don't use google now or voice assistant) long pressing on the home button opens the samsung browser ahah no idea why but that's what happened when i did it XD.

Last edited:

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Cool tips, but I never understand why people keep referring to these as hidden tips. It's not like you have to unlock some secret menu (like developer options) in order to access them.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
on the camera app you can even more quickly switch cameras by swiping up on the screen + i found a vid couple days ago to add mobile hotspot and mobile data tiles in the notification shade and there's a way to add immersive mode too with adb (it's pretty easy tbh just a bit of tinkering and you need a computer).

Sweet! Thanks for the camera tip!

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Cool tips, but I never understand why people keep referring to these as hidden tips. It's not like you have to unlock some secret menu (like developer options) in order to access them.

For me personally, these were harder to find even though they were just there. It requires you to use the phone for few weeks and dig into the settings and what not only to realize they are there. That is why I labeled them as hidden features. My other post which talks about tips and tricks basically shows the options that are more visible and actionable to users.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
For me personally, these were harder to find even though they were just there. It requires you to use the phone for few weeks and dig into the settings and what not only to realize they are there.
Or read the manual. :)

But even having done that, I failed to notice a couple of features you mentioned, so thanks for the summary.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
One of the not so obvious features is the native Samsung Reminder app. Very powerful in its simplicity, it allows you to share virtually any item that has access to the full share menu directly with the app and then set the reminder for either a specific time or location, with flexibility to set remind me when leaving and when arriving when using location. Traditionally I would use Google Keep for this, but location based reminders for me at least were hit and miss. Samsung Reminder app has yet to fail me.

To access, open an item that has access to the full share menu and then share to the "Reminder" app. From there you can also create an app shortcut.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I must be losing my mind. How do you enable the multi-screen background for the lock screen? I can't find any setting for that anywhere.
EDIT: Ok, it isn't actually like the old multi-image where you could pick what backgrounds you wanted to rotate. This is a crappy experience where you have to look in the theme store for already built multi-image wallpapers. So, instead of choosing photos of my dogs to rotate, I get to pick some crappy artwork from some crappy artist and pay Samsung $1.33 to use it... No thanks.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
One of the not so obvious features is the native Samsung Reminder app. Very powerful in its simplicity, it allows you to share virtually any item that has access to the full share menu directly with the app and then set the reminder for either a specific time or location, with flexibility to set remind me when leaving and when arriving when using location. Traditionally I would use Google Keep for this, but location based reminders for me at least were hit and miss. Samsung Reminder app has yet to fail me.

To access, open an item that has access to the full share menu and then share to the "Reminder" app. From there you can also create an app shortcut.

I want to use the Samsung Reminder app, i just wish it was a bit more aggressive when the reminder time was up. I find that i miss them.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
"Notification reminders
You can set up additional notification reminders for certain apps to remind you until you have addressed that notification. For example, you can set a notification reminder for your text messages so you get reminded every 5 mins until you have read those text messages."

I can not figure out how to do this.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
"Notification reminders
You can set up additional notification reminders for certain apps to remind you until you have addressed that notification. For example, you can set a notification reminder for your text messages so you get reminded every 5 mins until you have read those text messages."

I can not figure out how to do this.

Go to Settings->Accessibility->Notification reminders

First turn it on and then configure rest of the options.

dave92029

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
In order to get the sharpest photos possible, you need to hold the S8 as still as possible. Rather than touch a shutter on the S8, I have activated the Voice Activation feature, and just say "shoot" when I want to take a photo. This allows me to keep a good grip on the phone, and I feel take photos faster.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
In order to get the sharpest photos possible, you need to hold the S8 as still as possible. Rather than touch a shutter on the S8, I have activated the Voice Activation feature, and just say "shoot" when I want to take a photo. This allows me to keep a good grip on the phone, and I feel take photos faster.
Thanks! Yes, voice action is a great way to take photos!

May 29, 2017
Visit site
For someone who doesn't know.
To unlock screen you can do:
1. Pressing power button.
2. Double tap the home button ( at the bottom-middle of the screen ).
3. Pressing a bit hardly to the home button.

These are what I know by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781