Does the fingerprint scanner get easier to use?

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I am on day one of an unlocked galaxy s8. So far, it's a nice phone, but I absolutely hate the finger print scanner. Literally the worst feature of the phone. I'm coming from a Moto G4 plus that I bought new for about $230, and honestly the fingerprint scanner on that phone is miles ahead of the galaxy s8.

So, have you gotten used to the weird placement of the scanner ? Or have you abandoned it and just used the pattern or Iris unlock instead? The Iris seems gimmicky - I probably unlock my phone a hundred times a day...I don't intend to use the Iris unlock each time. At this rate I will probably just use the pattern unlock, but it seems criminal to have to resort to this in late 2017.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Having used both, I can say the S8's scanner is NOT miles behind the Moto one... quite the opposite. That being said, the placement IS not ideal (but let's not confuse scanner functionality with position).

Now, for the placement, yes, it is bad, and yes, you get used to it. BUT it will never be as good as it was before or as it is (for most, for me it was also horrid) for most of the current phones with FPS on the back. Having a case with a cutout for the camera/FPS helps, though, as it can guide you to where your fingers need to be, but it's still a nuisance... just one that doesn't get as annoying as you thought it'd be. For me Iris works OK but sunlight and contacts (but it works OK with glasses or shades...go figure) seem to throw it off. Sunlight I get, but contacts?! Come on! BUT if I'm not wearing them (like at night, before bed), it does unlock almost instantaneously.

phonephetish

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had the S8 for just over a week. I saw lots of reviews complaining about the finger print scanner, so I was also worried I would have a problem. But I've already gotten used to using it now. I'm coming from a Nexus 6p, which had great placement of the scanner being on the back right in the middle. I have a case on my phone, so not sure if the cutout helps me find it faster. I just set up the iris unlock and it's okay. I'll probably alternate between the two. I also use the pin unlock sometimes.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had the S8 for just over a week. I saw lots of reviews complaining about the finger print scanner, so I was also worried I would have a problem. But I've already gotten used to using it now. I'm coming from a Nexus 6p, which had great placement of the scanner being on the back right in the middle. I have a case on my phone, so not sure if the cutout helps me find it faster. I just set up the iris unlock and it's okay. I'll probably alternate between the two. I also use the pin unlock sometimes.

It does. Try using the phone without it for a few hours and you'll see hehe. Once you get used to it you'll do it out of muscle-memory but the cutout does help A LOT.

BCWARE

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for a few days and find it easier to reach if I use my left hand. the cutout in my case helps, but I find myself using Iris scan more often than not.

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
You get used to it. The sensor itself works fine. The placement is just poor. Samsung prioritized asthetics, I guess, over functionality. Just as Apple is rumored to be doing with the iPhone 8 (doesn't matter how good their rumored facial/Iris recognition is, a finger is more convenient). A case helps, but once you get used to its location, it's not a problem. I sometimes go without a case, just to enjoy the design fully, and it works fine.

I have a gear S3, and my phone is setup to unlock with just a swipe, when the gear is connected via Android's Smart Lock. But, I am used to the finger print scanner, and thus use it to turn on my phone 95% of the time.

IMO, the s8/8+ is such a good phone, that the finger print sensor's placement is magnified. It really isn't a huge deal, but it's the only thing wrong with the phone, and thus the only thing left to complain about. If the finger print sensor was like the pixel phone, it would be better.... but then people would complain about how a beautiful design is marred by the finger print sensor.

ReeceF11

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
At first the fingerprint scanner bothered me. But after about a week it became so easy and I find it faster to unlock my phone now.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
You do get used to it, but not necessarily like it. Mine was lightning fast and reliable to start with, but now it's getting annoyingly unreliable...

robmidi

May 3, 2017
Visit site
Just got my S8+ and have it in an Otterbox Defender. The cutout on the back helps me target the FPS more easily, and the FPS is much larger than the home button on the previous S6 Edge+, so I'm a happy camper. I tried the iris scanner, but I wear glasses and have to lift them for targeting. That's a no-go for me. All in all, I LOVE it!

Loozpatienz

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have been using facial recognition to unlock my phone. It works very well. I know that it may not be as secure as the iris scanner, but I have no complaints and it works well with glasses. I need to train myself to use the fingerprint scanner without having to look.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I have to say that I also hate the finger print sensor of the S8. It is the worst I have come across, in comparison to S7, moto S4 plus, iPhone (both 1st and 2nd gen).

I have had the S8 for over a month, and it has not improved at all. Rarely it would work for the first scan. Often in worst case, I would scan it until it reaches max attempts and I had to unlock by password.

StephaneM60

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
I find the placement of the FPS on the S8 as good as on the S7. What I mean is : the placement doesn't matter, however it's the orientation (or shape) that's wrong, when you hold your phone your finger is not pointing vertically straight to the top.

If they titled slighty (15 / 20° for instance) then your finger would sit naturally on the FPS. However it only works with one hand (depending on the tilt). Or if the FPS was round, you could place your finger with any orientation over it.

After a few month with the S8, I found that I succeed unlocking the phone with the FPS exactly in the same way I was on the S7... Though I'm using a case (Samsung Clear View Stand Cover or a Spigen Hybrid Transparent cover)

I'm also using the iris scanner that I found amazing (works better than the one on Lumia 950 XL I had last year), too bad it doesn't work outdoor very well (I'm not wearing glasses or contact lenses though)

So I would say it get easier to use, especially if you use a case, that helps your finger to feel the FPS and sit on it correctly.

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a S8+ and find the FPS to be less sensitive than the Google Pixel 2 XL. Not sure if it's the placement, shape or sensitivity. The Pixel 2 XL location, shape and sensitivity is ideal. The S8+ is not horrible.

NeilMex

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the S8+ for a few weeks and this is really my only complaint about this phone. Coming from the mate 9, the S8 FPS sucks. With the mate 9 I could throw the phone at my finger from across the room and it would unlock, with the S8 you have to position your finger very precisely. I don't mind the position of it so much as the insensitivity of it.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I have never had an issue with the fingerprint scanner location on my S8+. Then again, I have huge hands, so it's really not an issue for me to reach anyplace on the device with one hand.

I like it better than on the front where you really only could use your thumbs for ease. This way, I can just slide my index finger (from either hand) to the dip in my case and nail the scanner every time. I find it a more natural placement.

Perfect? No, but it never bothered me. :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never been a huge Samsung fan but I'm actually looking at the 8 (mostly because Samsung *finally* did away with that pesky home button!); but when I saw the position of the FPS, I wanted to opt out. Good to know that some are getting used to its placement. It is rather odd. And since I always use a case with my phone, at least I'd know that the cut-outs would help my fingers find the scanner as well.

writedoc

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I've never been a huge Samsung fan but I'm actually looking at the 8 (mostly because Samsung *finally* did away with that pesky home button!); but when I saw the position of the FPS, I wanted to opt out. Good to know that some are getting used to its placement. It is rather odd. And since I always use a case with my phone, at least I'd know that the cut-outs would help my fingers find the scanner as well.
I've owned an S8+ for about 9 months and I always found the fingerprint scanner difficult to use. However, I just updated to Android 8 (Bell) and I find it a lot easier to use now; I also use a clear case with a separate cutout for the scanner and it is very easy to find it (I use my left index finger). I now use the scanner and it works consistently.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've owned an S8+ for about 9 months and I always found the fingerprint scanner difficult to use. However, I just updated to Android 8 (Bell) and I find it a lot easier to use now; I also use a clear case with a separate cutout for the scanner and it is very easy to find it (I use my left index finger). I now use the scanner and it works consistently.

Glad that it is working well for you now!