SamsungDEX, for less than $20??

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have always been interested in SamsungDEX for my S8+, but I really didn't want to sink $80 to $150 on a device especially since I have not had the chance to see it in action with my own hands/eyes.

So, I bought something for my MAC (new MacBook Pro with USB-C only) so I can have a USB/HDMI/USB-C in one accessory. I have seen these before I thought they were cool, so finally busted out the $18.98 for the accessory.

USB C Adapter Tuwejia TYPE C To HDMI 4K+USB 3.0+USB-C Converter Cable Charging Port Adapter Cable with Large Projection for MacBook

Works PERFECTLY on my MAC, very happy with it.

Well, being a USB-C device, I thought "WTF, attach it to my phone and see what happens!!"

So I did, with my Mouse and Monitor (HDMI) plugged in and POOF, my phone starts SamsungDEX and I am using the full DEX experience.

Opened Apps, browsed the web, wrote some emails and the list goes on. I looked at others using DEX and they were getting the same experience as me, but I was getting it for soooooo much less. :D

Thought I would share.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, this has always worked with Samsung Devices. DeX is just an USB-C dock with a fancy exterior and added ports. But you can totally switch to DeX if you have a compatible USB-C-to-HDMI adapter. Problem is that you need to be careful with the wiring or it might cause issues or not be full quality, but it works. And someone said to always remember to switch off DeX before disconnecting... something about it being 'stuck' into DeX mode if you wanted to switch to mirroring later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20