The minor things...

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
So I love this phone. There is so many great things about it and I don't know where to even start to get customizing and setting up the phone. But there are a few minor issues which have me a little disappointed at the moment. Not an issue with the phone but I had assumed that the SG8+ was a rename for the Note then I find out there is going to be a Note 8 and now I am mad at myself for being so quick to the draw.

Now onto the actually phone. So I only ever got to see the edge lighting once since I got the phone. I have reset and set the settings and restarted the phone several times to get it to work and it just doesn't. Hopefully it is just a patch fix and the next one will get it to work.

I also do not like the volume warning. I tried to set the volume cap and that doesn't work. And that damned warning comes up anytime I try to listen something with the headphones in. I don't normally use my headphones but come on I am an adult if I don't know loud sounds will give me tinnitus then it's on me. I already have tinnitus thanks to about a thousand shows more than a few where I sat inside or in front of 8' high speakers. Just let us turn off all these types of warnings and tips.

Too many steps to access the block phone number setting. You first have to click on the number, then click on details, then click on the 3 dots then on block number. It should be maybe two steps at most click on number then on block number. For some reason I am now getting several spam phone calls a day on my cell phone. Since I only give my cell phone number to friends, family and co-workers I have no idea where these calls come from. Since I have had this number for quite some time now I can only think Sprint is selling phone numbers. I need to go over my contract soon to make sure it's not in the contract that they sell/share numbers to sponsors or whatever.

I know all these are minor issues but they are not working. What else that might be useful that doesn't work that I do not know about yet?

Choccy

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Blocking calls is easy and you can use an external app also. I wouldn't say it's the fault of the S8 and neither would be getting annoyed about the S8+ That is just down to not researching fully. But that's not your fault.

Edge lightning works perfect once you understand how to set it correctly. You need to ensure you allow apps to work with it. It works great for me as does LED notifications which people claim do not work either.

It's just a process of spending time with your phone and thinking logically.

It amazes me how some people moan about things which are not down to the phone but the user a lot of the times.( not you btw).

Rooters especially moan a lot about the S8 but they're the ones messing with everything to make it a better phone but then complain when things go into a boot loop yet it's Smsungs fault or the phone is rubbish lol

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Wow man way to jump to conclusions. I am not going to use an app to so something the phone already does. I just think it takes too many steps to have to do it though. That is my gripe, it really should just be an option that comes up when you select the number.

Edge lighting does not work properly. I have been talking with Samsung now for 4 days. Samsung has offered a replacement phone if I like but I don't want to do that if it's for such a minor thing. While working with Samsung I discovered the edge lighting did work but only while the screen was open, which even the Samsung rep couldn't figure out. So I guess the Samsung rep didn't know how to set up the phone correctly either?

I know people jump to conclusions about stuff. It is why I have been spending a lot of time on these forums and using the phone. I did all the research I could including talking to Samsung before making this post. All of these again are small gripes and not real reason to return or not like the phone. And a big eff u to rooters. The phone is not meant to be rooted you do that at your own risk.

Choccy

May 2, 2017
Visit site
How dude it was more a generalistic rant at others across many forums not specific to yourself.

The call blocker thing is unfortunate and we'll when it comes to the Edge I've not had any issues since I figured out how to set it up which took me about 20 minutes and several attempts to get to work.

Just cos a guy calls himself Einstein, it doesn't make him a genius ('re the Samsung guy lol)

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, your response seemed a bit directed toward me. So of course I responded in kind. I blame the internet for the mix up.

It is odd, all the setting and resetting of everything I still can only get the edge lighting to work when I am already using the phone for whatever reason. I hope I can get it figured out.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, your response seemed a bit directed toward me. So of course I responded in kind. I blame the internet for the mix up.

It is odd, all the setting and resetting of everything I still can only get the edge lighting to work when I am already using the phone for whatever reason. I hope I can get it figured out.
If someone replies to you with a rant I think it's quite fair you assume it's directed at you.

Choccy, it sounds like you know Samsung well and this edge technology? I have ordered one and hopefully it will arrive sometime in the next week (ordered orchid grey by mistake!). What would be great is if you could give some step by step instruction as to how you got edge working?

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
@SlippySlimm I know how to set up edge notifications. Even scoured this and other forums online, it just does not work when the phone is off. I even went as far as contacting Samsung for help, to no avail. The only thing I haven't tried yet is turning off AOD. I wonder if this is where my issue is.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
@SlippySlimm I know how to set up edge notifications. Even scoured this and other forums online, it just does not work when the phone is off. I even went as far as contacting Samsung for help, to no avail. The only thing I haven't tried yet is turning off AOD. I wonder if this is where my issue is.

That's not the issue, as I have AOD turned on and everything works fine.

By any chance did you use a package disabler and disable a bunch of things? Maybe a system app was accidentally disabled and that's why it won't work?

Also I know the app to assign a different function to the Bixby button (bxaction) interfered with a few things and gave me a lot of odd problems. Uninstall that if you have it installed and see if that helps.

Otherwise your phone is defective and you should replace, because that's not normal and I can't possibly think of anything else that could be effecting the edge lighting. Maybe an odd accessibility setting screwing something up, but that would be very strange.

Anyway, good luck.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
That's not the issue, as I have AOD turned on and everything works fine.

By any chance did you use a package disabler and disable a bunch of things? Maybe a system app was accidentally disabled and that's why it won't work?

Also I know the app to assign a different function to the Bixby button (bxaction) interfered with a few things and gave me a lot of odd problems. Uninstall that if you have it installed and see if that helps.

Otherwise your phone is defective and you should replace, because that's not normal and I can't possibly think of anything else that could be effecting the edge lighting. Maybe an odd accessibility setting screwing something up, but that would be very strange.

Anyway, good luck.

Thanks for the help. I haven't loaded a package disabler nor an app to remap bixby. Maybe your are right and I have a defective phone, kinda sucks.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Yes sorry man, wish I could be of more help. Hopefully it isn't too much of a headache getting a replacement.

Thanks, I contacted them about getting the replacement. Just waiting for a response back, its been taking about 3 days for responses so hopefully tomorrow I will get the response.