Samsung stole my phone

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Escalation to next level and then to third level results in being put on hold forever in the hopes you will hang up. Failing that, they just hang up on her.
Sometimes you just have to wait.

Have you tried email?

Not sure if it would be the same in your country, but someone in the UK had problems with warranty, and the phone lines were not much help and neither was going to CPW. He emailed Samsung UK and then Samsung UK apparently emailed CPW do give up a replacement unit.

Not sure if it would help you but it's worth a try.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Why do you have such a problem with the possibility that Samsung may be in the wrong?

At the very least....Samsung should give an explaination as to why they are keeping the phone. I agree with @chanchan05 that perhaps emailing Samsung, starting with general customer service and escalating to the CEO will hopefully get this resolved.

However, like others have mentioned....the fact that is seems to be a used device, sold by a third party dealer, is throwing a couple wrenches in the mix, ignoring the fact that there are negative reviews on the BBB.

r0ttie1

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
After all our efforts to get a straight answer, I started fussing on Samsung's forum. I got this:

I was able to pull up your refund ticket, our accounting team updated notes this morning. If you opted for direct deposit, our bank will release the funds in 4-6 business days, if you opted for a live check you should receive the check within 7-10 business days.

Now I get to wait two more weeks to see if the proverbial "check is in the mail". Color me skeptical.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you don't get the check (I assume that you have the promise in writing - if you don't, they can claim that they never made it), and considering that they've stolen almost $1,000 from you, so it's not something you'd want to write off as a bad experience, call your local bar association and ask for references to attorneys who handle theft by a foreign manufacturer when an item of theirs is returned to them for repair.

Samsung has enough attachable property in the US that they aren't going to want to be on the wrong end of that suit. (Aside from owing you an S8, they'd owe you for your wife's distress, your distress, any actual monetary losses either of you suffered due to not having the phone available - and the most likely not inconsiderable legal fees. (It's that last one that would make them blink. Attorneys who work internationally aren't cheap. Samsung seems to have become a "customer service is word last" kind of company. But money is job one, and they won't want to lose any.)

I've found (and learned) over the decades that some donkeys just have to be hit over the head with a bigger hammer to get their attention.

r0ttie1

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Through all this nightmare, Samsung has avoided sending us anything in writing. They just say things verbally that change every time you talk to a different representative.

RasputinII

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Through all this nightmare, Samsung has avoided sending us anything in writing. They just say things verbally that change every time you talk to a different representative.

Two issues:

When dealing with corporations I have found it more effective to handle issues in writing. That way some has to write you back.

Secondly, if the vendor is in your state or does business in your state then they are most likely to be subject to the jurisdiction of the small claims court.

I am not a lawyer but have successfully used small claims court on prior claims.

It takes some work on your part.

I would go to the local courts web page and see what they have been sued for and what for.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Samsung had the phone serial number when they issued the RMA. Why do you have such a problem with the possibility that Samsung may be in the wrong?

He doesn’t. But as he and others in the thread have mentioned, there are many possibilities that complicated the issue.

Possible complication 1: the seller from whom you bought the phone was dodgy and not really authorised

Possible Complication 2: the Samsung customer service employees are working at a call centre and just report/escalate your case. They themselves don’t have your wife’s phone. Asking for their names could help with future calls so you can refer them to their colleagues

I would avoid jumping to conclusions immediately. As Mooncatt said, your initial post wasn’t the most detailed and I highly doubt Samsung would intentionally steal your wife’s phone. It is more likely that the phone is just technically stuck with Samsung because their processes and policies (and those of other companies) says so for whatever legal reason.

Pinning the blame on Samsung and escalating the crisis to small claims isn’t advisable unless you have all the facts first.

I hope you get the situation resolved :)