Does anyone see/feel the need to upgrade to a new Galaxy?

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
And if so...what new Galaxy are you thinking about upgrading to? I am a tech *****...and I am lucky I know how to turn my S8 Plus on and off, LOL. I am certain that my IT/tech people are dumbfounded that I am a successful business owner and actually function day to day, LOL. That said, I tend to use devices until they absolutely cannot be used any longer! LOL.

I notice that many of the accessories I use -- a power-pack, case/holster, etc. -- various vendors are no longer carrying accessories for the S8 Plus. I had to replace my holster recently, and the vendor is sold out, no longer carrying the product, only has one color left, and when that's gone, they are done.

From a functionality perspective -- OS, software updates, security patches, capabilities, apps, etc. -- does anyone feel or see the need to upgrade to a newer, more current device? And if so, which one? S10 Plus? S20 Plus? Note?

Thanks everyone!

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
I have an s8 and still works fine got a October security patch the other day so I dont feel the need to update

Thanks Rick. I think mine works fine too. I certainly do not use it to it's maximum capabilities. Even without the system/software upgrade, it seems to work fine and certainly suits my needs. I hope over time I start to use more features, capabilities, etc.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
And if so...what new Galaxy are you thinking about upgrading to? I am a tech *****...and I am lucky I know how to turn my S8 Plus on and off, LOL. I am certain that my IT/tech people are dumbfounded that I am a successful business owner and actually function day to day, LOL. That said, I tend to use devices until they absolutely cannot be used any longer! LOL.

I notice that many of the accessories I use -- a power-pack, case/holster, etc. -- various vendors are no longer carrying accessories for the S8 Plus. I had to replace my holster recently, and the vendor is sold out, no longer carrying the product, only has one color left, and when that's gone, they are done.

From a functionality perspective -- OS, software updates, security patches, capabilities, apps, etc. -- does anyone feel or see the need to upgrade to a newer, more current device? And if so, which one? S10 Plus? S20 Plus? Note?

Thanks everyone!
S10 and on will be supported for 3 years with security and software so might take that into consideration even though your s8 working great .

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have a S10+ and I love it. It is not even a year old as yet. But if I were buying new it would be the S21 coming out next year. However, since I will get 3 years of upgrades and updates I have I reason to get rid of my phone. It works well and has all the features I need.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
After a little over a year of having my S10, I'm still really happy with it. Truly don't know where I'll go when I upgrade - I'm so heavily invested in Samsung's UI! Very happy with my phone right now. :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I say upgrade only if you want to. There's no real need to upgrade from an S10 or similar device if it's behaving the way you want it to.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I say upgrade only if you want to. There's no real need to upgrade from an S10 or similar device if it's behaving the way you want it to.

Exactly. I feel like the only way I'll ever even consider another phone for an upgrade right now is it (perish the thought) something bad happened to my S10. But that's what device protection is for!

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Exactly. I feel like the only way I'll ever even consider another phone for an upgrade right now is it (perish the thought) something bad happened to my S10. But that's what device protection is for!

Device protection, meaning the protection plan from your carrier or vendor where you bought the device? Thanks.

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
S10 and on will be supported for 3 years with security and software so might take that into consideration even though your s8 working great .

Three years from now? That was one of the things I was thinking -- the S8 Plus is no longer supported, so when I have trouble, I am in real trouble, LOL. Thanks.

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
By the way -- not that it matters, I bought the Galaxy S8 Plus, unlocked, BYOD to Verizon, for $450 in June of 2019. I know, I got soaked!!! LOL. But, I couldn't find them anywhere really. VZW was out of them, most legit vendors were out of them, and I was left to some "online" vendors, or a retail vendor or two -- one in Brooklyn, and the other in NYC -- so I got lucky finding it at WalMart. It was $450 brand new, had some nonsense WalMart warranty, I think for about 10 minutes or so, LOL, and I was left with a one year warranty direct from Samsung I believe.

Zorrak

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
i'm on a S8 currently and will be getting something newer soon. Battery life is getting a bit bad and its freezing while i browse the internerd. This seems like a crap year for new phones. I was really hoping the pixel 5 was going to be flagshipish and it was such a let down. i don't want anything too much bigger so the s20 was looking good but i'm on verizon and they gimped their version so thats not an option either. Right now i'm leaning towards a S20+ and hope it's not too big.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
i'm on a S8 currently and will be getting something newer soon. Battery life is getting a bit bad and its freezing while i browse the internerd. This seems like a crap year for new phones. I was really hoping the pixel 5 was going to be flagshipish and it was such a let down. i don't want anything too much bigger so the s20 was looking good but i'm on verizon and they gimped their version so thats not an option either. Right now i'm leaning towards a S20+ and hope it's not too big.

Have you looked at the S20 FE? I've heard really great things about that phone.

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Have you looked at the S20 FE? I've heard really great things about that phone.

What have you heard? Good specs, performance? Is it a "Galaxy" model? I get confused when they rapidly come out with new phones, models, etc. My phone is pretty lean (meaning I don't have a lot of apps on there) so it doesn't really get slow, lag, freeze, etc. Actually, all things considered, this is probably the best "performing" phone I've had in a long time. I haven't needed tech support, replacement, or anything of the like.

I like the "Plus" model, and truthfully, I like a larger phone, bigger screen, bigger keys, and so on. Thanks in advance!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What have you heard? Good specs, performance? Is it a "Galaxy" model? I get confused when they rapidly come out with new phones, models, etc. My phone is pretty lean (meaning I don't have a lot of apps on there) so it doesn't really get slow, lag, freeze, etc. Actually, all things considered, this is probably the best "performing" phone I've had in a long time. I haven't needed tech support, replacement, or anything of the like.

I like the "Plus" model, and truthfully, I like a larger phone, bigger screen, bigger keys, and so on. Thanks in advance!

I believe the FE (Fan Edition) is a *little less* high-end than the S20 flagship line. But it's definitely a Galaxy phone! I've seen some of the photos it takes and I must say, it's pretty darn good! I think I've heard it's pretty snappy too. It looks like a solid device for the price and for what it's capable of.

To quote a review, it's more of an "affordable flagship" than an actual flagship. It has a high refresh rate, has 5G, and Snapdragon 865. Pretty cool! Here's the review I looked at, in case you are interested!

Looks like the FE is 6.5". HUGE (to me, anyway!)!

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.and...axy-s20-fe-review-second-opinion-1176179/amp/

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
I believe the FE (Fan Edition) is a *little less* high-end than the S20 flagship line. But it's definitely a Galaxy phone! I've seen some of the photos it takes and I must say, it's pretty darn good! I think I've heard it's pretty snappy too. It looks like a solid device for the price and for what it's capable of.

To quote a review, it's more of an "affordable flagship" than an actual flagship. It has a high refresh rate, has 5G, and Snapdragon 865. Pretty cool! Here's the review I looked at, in case you are interested!

Looks like the FE is 6.5". HUGE (to me, anyway!)!

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.and...axy-s20-fe-review-second-opinion-1176179/amp/

Very nice...thank you! I just read an article, and yes, you're right, the FE is a bit of a "lighter" version, but apparently offers a lot of value, to the point where they felt it would take sales away from the S20 model(s). But, when you flood the market with similar models, look to cover every section of the market, and when you comes out with new models every week, LOL, that's what you get. I guess they target a new phone every year, right? If that's true, how long before everyone starts talking about the S21? LOL.

Regarding the S20 and the FE, I also read there is a difference in size -- the S20 comes in at 6.2 inches, the FE is 6.5 inches, S20+ is 6.7 inches, and the S20 Ultra is the biggest at 6.9 inches.

I was flirting with -- simply a mental debate in my head, LOL -- between the S20 Ultra and the Note 20 Ultra. I never really understood the difference between Galaxy and the Note, but I heard some mobile warriors I know swear by the Note. But, like I said, I tend to use a device until it actually dies and can't be used ever again! LOL.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Very nice...thank you! I just read an article, and yes, you're right, the FE is a bit of a "lighter" version, but apparently offers a lot of value, to the point where they felt it would take sales away from the S20 model(s). But, when you flood the market with similar models, look to cover every section of the market, and when you comes out with new models every week, LOL, that's what you get. I guess they target a new phone every year, right? If that's true, how long before everyone starts talking about the S21? LOL.

Regarding the S20 and the FE, I also read there is a difference in size -- the S20 comes in at 6.2 inches, the FE is 6.5 inches, S20+ is 6.7 inches, and the S20 Ultra is the biggest at 6.9 inches.

I was flirting with -- simply a mental debate in my head, LOL -- between the S20 Ultra and the Note 20 Ultra. I never really understood the difference between Galaxy and the Note, but I heard some mobile warriors I know swear by the Note. But, like I said, I tend to use a device until it actually dies and can't be used ever again! LOL.

You're right in that Samsung likes to cover *all* of its bases with different phones at each price point; and so it's hard to figure out which one you really want!

The only downside I see with Samsung is that their phones are getting bigger and bigger! The S10, at 6.1", is the biggest phone I've ever gotten.

Yes, there are a ton of Note users and lovers here in AC too! Lots of people will get Note phones. I think, for me anyway, the only difference is the S Pen and perhaps a bigger battery? But I really don't pay much attention to that line, so I'm not the one to ask about that! Haha.

Let us know what you end up deciding! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000