Does anyone see/feel the need to upgrade to a new Galaxy?

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
You're right in that Samsung likes to cover *all* of its bases with different phones at each price point; and so it's hard to figure out which one you really want!

The only downside I see with Samsung is that their phones are getting bigger and bigger! The S10, at 6.1", is the biggest phone I've ever gotten.

Yes, there are a ton of Note users and lovers here in AC too! Lots of people will get Note phones. I think, for me anyway, the only difference is the S Pen and perhaps a bigger battery? But I really don't pay much attention to that line, so I'm not the one to ask about that! Haha.

Let us know what you end up deciding! :)

Thanks! So, I actually like a bigger phone, bigger screen, keys, etc. Due to a medical condition, my fingers don't work so great all the time, and for the longest time I HAD to stay with a physical keyboard. I finally moved to an S8 + only because it was the last Galaxy model where you could get a Samsung physical keyboard that slid onto the bottom of the device. Anyway, I've been with the S8 + now for a year plus. It works, works fine. I have no idea why I was thinking of getting a new device -- simply for a new OS? More support? Security patches? I have no idea! LOL.

As I said, I haven't taken the most recent "update" because I am worried about things changing, not working, etc.

I think about upgrading, I read, research, etc. -- but I never do anything! LOL. By the time I might be ready and would really consider doing it...they came out with a new phone!!! LOL.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! So, I actually like a bigger phone, bigger screen, keys, etc. Due to a medical condition, my fingers don't work so great all the time, and for the longest time I HAD to stay with a physical keyboard. I finally moved to an S8 + only because it was the last Galaxy model where you could get a Samsung physical keyboard that slid onto the bottom of the device. Anyway, I've been with the S8 + now for a year plus. It works, works fine. I have no idea why I was thinking of getting a new device -- simply for a new OS? More support? Security patches? I have no idea! LOL.

As I said, I haven't taken the most recent "update" because I am worried about things changing, not working, etc.

I think about upgrading, I read, research, etc. -- but I never do anything! LOL. By the time I might be ready and would really consider doing it...they came out with a new phone!!! LOL.

It's okay to be cautious and to want to stick with what works for you! I totally get that! How are you finding that slide-on physical keyboard? Could you please post a picture of it? It sounds so nifty!

Wanting a new OS or experience is a definite reason for when I upgrade! I can definitely see what you are saying there. It's nice to experience a new way of doing the same thing, you know?

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
It's okay to be cautious and to want to stick with what works for you! I totally get that! How are you finding that slide-on physical keyboard? Could you please post a picture of it? It sounds so nifty!

Wanting a new OS or experience is a definite reason for when I upgrade! I can definitely see what you are saying there. It's nice to experience a new way of doing the same thing, you know?

I am not only a tech *****, but I am also a creature of habit, LOL. Not really being tech savvy ultimately becomes a big problem. You can't even perform basic quick fixes, solve problems, etc. Anyway, getting something new poses two issues to deal with -- the learning curve of something new, and the problems that arise (ie: updates). The slide-on physical keyboard was a necessity for me. It works. Not very "technical" per se, it's only "button based" and not electronic in any way, shape, or form. When you use it, obviously it "shortens" the screen area that you are using, seeing, etc. But that was OK, I was only using it for text messages. I never got into the voice texts or voice to text feature. The biggest issue I had is that I also/used to use a "mophie" power pack/battery pack, with the clip -- so that was no-go. Now, what I do is carry the mophie around with me, or more often than not, I use one of those freebie portable chargers, LOL. Anyway, it's called a "Keyboard Cover Case" -- and -- I left it in the office!!! LOL.

Here's a link to the original that I bought from Samsung:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...yboard-cover-ej-cg955bbegww%2F&token=baXg8rSi

Here's a pic that I have:images.jpg

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am not only a tech *****, but I am also a creature of habit, LOL. Not really being tech savvy ultimately becomes a big problem. You can't even perform basic quick fixes, solve problems, etc. Anyway, getting something new poses two issues to deal with -- the learning curve of something new, and the problems that arise (ie: updates). The slide-on physical keyboard was a necessity for me. It works. Not very "technical" per se, it's only "button based" and not electronic in any way, shape, or form. When you use it, obviously it "shortens" the screen area that you are using, seeing, etc. But that was OK, I was only using it for text messages. I never got into the voice texts or voice to text feature. The biggest issue I had is that I also/used to use a "mophie" power pack/battery pack, with the clip -- so that was no-go. Now, what I do is carry the mophie around with me, or more often than not, I use one of those freebie portable chargers, LOL. Anyway, it's called a "Keyboard Cover Case" -- and -- I left it in the office!!! LOL.

Here's a link to the original that I bought from Samsung:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...yboard-cover-ej-cg955bbegww%2F&token=S_WPKiJR

Here's a pic that I have:View attachment 328956

That's so cool! Thank you so much for posting the picture! It looks like a really big and beautiful BlackBerry!

I get what you are saying: the keyboard is good for texting and that's really all you need it for! I'm still not as into voice-to-text as I thought I would be - but I'm getting better at using it and it has come in handy for me on a number of occasions!

You're right - old habits die hard!

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
That's so cool! Thank you so much for posting the picture! It looks like a really big and beautiful BlackBerry!

I get what you are saying: the keyboard is good for texting and that's really all you need it for! I'm still not as into voice-to-text as I thought I would be - but I'm getting better at using it and it has come in handy for me on a number of occasions!

You're right - old habits die hard!

Thanks! I was a BlackBerry guy since the original model came out. I stayed and stayed and stayed until my company didn't want to keep the BES up and running...just for me! LOL. So I went with the original BlackBerry Android model...anyway...

So, due to a medical condition, my fingers, and sometimes my hands, don't work 100%...so a physical keyboard used to be a must for me. I can use my S8 plus in the mornings, and sometimes into the afternoons, but a physical keyboard was always easier, better, etc., for me to use overall -- yes, just for texting and emails.

I am getting more and more used to the lack of a physical keyboard, but at times, it's hard. I am not anywhere near as proficient on the glass as I am on the keyboard. Plus, the auto-correct/dictionary is not easy to build. I did that over many years with BB, and only once or twice did I lose the dictionary.

The voice to text I am not using, although I am using voice messages on What'sApp. Most of the time I want to send a text is because I don't want to talk out loud, LOL.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I was a BlackBerry guy since the original model came out. I stayed and stayed and stayed until my company didn't want to keep the BES up and running...just for me! LOL. So I went with the original BlackBerry Android model...anyway...

So, due to a medical condition, my fingers, and sometimes my hands, don't work 100%...so a physical keyboard used to be a must for me. I can use my S8 plus in the mornings, and sometimes into the afternoons, but a physical keyboard was always easier, better, etc., for me to use overall -- yes, just for texting and emails.

I am getting more and more used to the lack of a physical keyboard, but at times, it's hard. I am not anywhere near as proficient on the glass as I am on the keyboard. Plus, the auto-correct/dictionary is not easy to build. I did that over many years with BB, and only once or twice did I lose the dictionary.

The voice to text I am not using, although I am using voice messages on What'sApp. Most of the time I want to send a text is because I don't want to talk out loud, LOL.

I was (still am) a BlackBerry fan, too! I miss mine and the physical keyboard experience. The Q10 was such a fantastic experience for me. That physical keyboard, combined with the dictionary and predictions, worked nicely.

I'm sorry that using a virtual keyboard is more difficult for you! Believe it or lot, I'm still more proficient on physical keyboards than on virtual ones. And like you've mentioned, the dictionary/autocorrect often messes us up. It's a different world.

I find that I, too, will send voice messages if I'm unable to text someone at the moment but need to say a lot. It's very handy.

Tech Idiot

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
I was (still am) a BlackBerry fan, too! I miss mine and the physical keyboard experience. The Q10 was such a fantastic experience for me. That physical keyboard, combined with the dictionary and predictions, worked nicely.

I'm sorry that using a virtual keyboard is more difficult for you! Believe it or lot, I'm still more proficient on physical keyboards than on virtual ones. And like you've mentioned, the dictionary/autocorrect often messes us up. It's a different world.

I find that I, too, will send voice messages if I'm unable to text someone at the moment but need to say a lot. It's very handy.

Thanks...it's a totally different dynamic or whatever you want to call it, when I can "feel" the keys and know where or what key my finger is on. I am sure someone can type faster than me, but me between the two -- PKB!!! LOL.

It's a real shame that BlackBerry went the "Beta-max" route. I thought they had a shot when they decided to go Android, but they were merely licensing out the name and it was simply too late as they were on life support as a device maker/marketer.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks...it's a totally different dynamic or whatever you want to call it, when I can "feel" the keys and know where or what key my finger is on. I am sure someone can type faster than me, but me between the two -- PKB!!! LOL.

It's a real shame that BlackBerry went the "Beta-max" route. I thought they had a shot when they decided to go Android, but they were merely licensing out the name and it was simply too late as they were on life support as a device maker/marketer.

I agree with you! I love having that tactile feedback when I am typing. You just can't get that with virtual keyboards.

I too thought BlackBerry would get a new leese on life when they partnered with Android. It was very sad when that was not what happened.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you! I love having that tactile feedback when I am typing. You just can't get that with virtual keyboards.

I too thought BlackBerry would get a new leese on life when they partnered with Android. It was very sad when that was not what happened.
The keyboard kind of reminds me of an old LG square flip phone I had called the Lotus. I loved it! It had a big keyboard inside. But anyway if your going to upgrade the S10 plus is a great phone and the S20 FE is also a good phone I heard. I would check into the S10 plus or even a regular S20. But if you want to be up to date and plan on keeping your phone for a long time maybe the S21's that will go on pre-order on the 14th. If you RSVP now you get $50 in accessory credit and free earbuds with the phone as a pre-order gift.

My husband used to have a blackberry I'll never forget it. It was easy to type on the keyboard. I had this HTC windows phone with a keyboard and the screen tilted it was my 1st smart phone and than we got the HTC EVO and had all of them before switching to Samsung to get the 7Edge.

Last edited: