01-08-2021 06:21 PM
33 12
tools
    And if so...what new Galaxy are you thinking about upgrading to? I am a tech *****...and I am lucky I know how to turn my S8 Plus on and off, LOL. I am certain that my IT/tech people are dumbfounded that I am a successful business owner and actually function day to day, LOL. That said, I tend to use devices until they absolutely cannot be used any longer! LOL.

I notice that many of the accessories I use -- a power-pack, case/holster, etc. -- various vendors are no longer carrying accessories for the S8 Plus. I had to replace my holster recently, and the vendor is sold out, no longer carrying the product, only has one color left, and when that's gone, they are done.

From a functionality perspective -- OS, software updates, security patches, capabilities, apps, etc. -- does anyone feel or see the need to upgrade to a newer, more current device? And if so, which one? S10 Plus? S20 Plus? Note?

Thanks everyone!
    11-07-2020 12:37 PM
    I have an s8 and still works fine got a October security patch the other day so I dont feel the need to update
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    11-07-2020 06:48 PM
    I have an s8 and still works fine got a October security patch the other day so I dont feel the need to update
    Thanks Rick. I think mine works fine too. I certainly do not use it to it's maximum capabilities. Even without the system/software upgrade, it seems to work fine and certainly suits my needs. I hope over time I start to use more features, capabilities, etc.
    11-08-2020 09:24 PM
    And if so...what new Galaxy are you thinking about upgrading to? I am a tech *****...and I am lucky I know how to turn my S8 Plus on and off, LOL. I am certain that my IT/tech people are dumbfounded that I am a successful business owner and actually function day to day, LOL. That said, I tend to use devices until they absolutely cannot be used any longer! LOL.

I notice that many of the accessories I use -- a power-pack, case/holster, etc. -- various vendors are no longer carrying accessories for the S8 Plus. I had to replace my holster recently, and the vendor is sold out, no longer carrying the product, only has one color left, and when that's gone, they are done.

From a functionality perspective -- OS, software updates, security patches, capabilities, apps, etc. -- does anyone feel or see the need to upgrade to a newer, more current device? And if so, which one? S10 Plus? S20 Plus? Note?

Thanks everyone!
    S10 and on will be supported for 3 years with security and software so might take that into consideration even though your s8 working great .
    Tech Idiot and Rose4uKY like this.
    11-08-2020 10:43 PM
    I have a S10+ and I love it. It is not even a year old as yet. But if I were buying new it would be the S21 coming out next year. However, since I will get 3 years of upgrades and updates I have I reason to get rid of my phone. It works well and has all the features I need.
    11-08-2020 10:53 PM
    After a little over a year of having my S10, I'm still really happy with it. Truly don't know where I'll go when I upgrade - I'm so heavily invested in Samsung's UI! Very happy with my phone right now.
    11-08-2020 11:19 PM
    I say upgrade only if you want to. There's no real need to upgrade from an S10 or similar device if it's behaving the way you want it to.
    11-09-2020 12:04 AM
    I say upgrade only if you want to. There's no real need to upgrade from an S10 or similar device if it's behaving the way you want it to.
    Exactly. I feel like the only way I'll ever even consider another phone for an upgrade right now is it (perish the thought) something bad happened to my S10. But that's what device protection is for!
    Tech Idiot and Kizzy Catwoman like this.
    11-09-2020 08:24 AM
    Exactly. I feel like the only way I'll ever even consider another phone for an upgrade right now is it (perish the thought) something bad happened to my S10. But that's what device protection is for!
    Device protection, meaning the protection plan from your carrier or vendor where you bought the device? Thanks.
    Kizzy Catwoman and Morty2264 like this.
    11-09-2020 11:23 AM
    S10 and on will be supported for 3 years with security and software so might take that into consideration even though your s8 working great .
    Three years from now? That was one of the things I was thinking -- the S8 Plus is no longer supported, so when I have trouble, I am in real trouble, LOL. Thanks.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-09-2020 11:24 AM
    By the way -- not that it matters, I bought the Galaxy S8 Plus, unlocked, BYOD to Verizon, for $450 in June of 2019. I know, I got soaked!!! LOL. But, I couldn't find them anywhere really. VZW was out of them, most legit vendors were out of them, and I was left to some "online" vendors, or a retail vendor or two -- one in Brooklyn, and the other in NYC -- so I got lucky finding it at WalMart. It was $450 brand new, had some nonsense WalMart warranty, I think for about 10 minutes or so, LOL, and I was left with a one year warranty direct from Samsung I believe.
    11-09-2020 11:28 AM
    Device protection, meaning the protection plan from your carrier or vendor where you bought the device? Thanks.
    From my carrier.
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    11-09-2020 10:40 PM
    i'm on a S8 currently and will be getting something newer soon. Battery life is getting a bit bad and its freezing while i browse the internerd. This seems like a crap year for new phones. I was really hoping the pixel 5 was going to be flagshipish and it was such a let down. i don't want anything too much bigger so the s20 was looking good but i'm on verizon and they gimped their version so thats not an option either. Right now i'm leaning towards a S20+ and hope it's not too big.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-14-2020 08:56 PM
    i'm on a S8 currently and will be getting something newer soon. Battery life is getting a bit bad and its freezing while i browse the internerd. This seems like a crap year for new phones. I was really hoping the pixel 5 was going to be flagshipish and it was such a let down. i don't want anything too much bigger so the s20 was looking good but i'm on verizon and they gimped their version so thats not an option either. Right now i'm leaning towards a S20+ and hope it's not too big.
    Have you looked at the S20 FE? I've heard really great things about that phone.
    11-14-2020 11:56 PM
    It is a big phone though. I think even bigger than the S10+. It is hard to find smaller phones outside of the new pixels.
    11-15-2020 03:28 AM
    What have you heard? Good specs, performance? Is it a "Galaxy" model? I get confused when they rapidly come out with new phones, models, etc. My phone is pretty lean (meaning I don't have a lot of apps on there) so it doesn't really get slow, lag, freeze, etc. Actually, all things considered, this is probably the best "performing" phone I've had in a long time. I haven't needed tech support, replacement, or anything of the like.

I like the "Plus" model, and truthfully, I like a larger phone, bigger screen, bigger keys, and so on. Thanks in advance!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-15-2020 09:00 AM
    Three years from now? That was one of the things I was thinking -- the S8 Plus is no longer supported, so when I have trouble, I am in real trouble, LOL. Thanks.
    Three years from when it was released.
    11-15-2020 09:06 AM
    What have you heard? Good specs, performance? Is it a "Galaxy" model? I get confused when they rapidly come out with new phones, models, etc. My phone is pretty lean (meaning I don't have a lot of apps on there) so it doesn't really get slow, lag, freeze, etc. Actually, all things considered, this is probably the best "performing" phone I've had in a long time. I haven't needed tech support, replacement, or anything of the like.

I like the "Plus" model, and truthfully, I like a larger phone, bigger screen, bigger keys, and so on. Thanks in advance!
    I believe the FE (Fan Edition) is a *little less* high-end than the S20 flagship line. But it's definitely a Galaxy phone! I've seen some of the photos it takes and I must say, it's pretty darn good! I think I've heard it's pretty snappy too. It looks like a solid device for the price and for what it's capable of.

To quote a review, it's more of an "affordable flagship" than an actual flagship. It has a high refresh rate, has 5G, and Snapdragon 865. Pretty cool! Here's the review I looked at, in case you are interested!

Looks like the FE is 6.5". HUGE (to me, anyway!)!

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.andr...n-1176179/amp/
    11-15-2020 09:14 AM
    I believe the FE (Fan Edition) is a *little less* high-end than the S20 flagship line. But it's definitely a Galaxy phone! I've seen some of the photos it takes and I must say, it's pretty darn good! I think I've heard it's pretty snappy too. It looks like a solid device for the price and for what it's capable of.

To quote a review, it's more of an "affordable flagship" than an actual flagship. It has a high refresh rate, has 5G, and Snapdragon 865. Pretty cool! Here's the review I looked at, in case you are interested!

Looks like the FE is 6.5". HUGE (to me, anyway!)!

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.andr...n-1176179/amp/

Very nice...thank you! I just read an article, and yes, you're right, the FE is a bit of a "lighter" version, but apparently offers a lot of value, to the point where they felt it would take sales away from the S20 model(s). But, when you flood the market with similar models, look to cover every section of the market, and when you comes out with new models every week, LOL, that's what you get. I guess they target a new phone every year, right? If that's true, how long before everyone starts talking about the S21? LOL.

Regarding the S20 and the FE, I also read there is a difference in size -- the S20 comes in at 6.2 inches, the FE is 6.5 inches, S20+ is 6.7 inches, and the S20 Ultra is the biggest at 6.9 inches.

I was flirting with -- simply a mental debate in my head, LOL -- between the S20 Ultra and the Note 20 Ultra. I never really understood the difference between Galaxy and the Note, but I heard some mobile warriors I know swear by the Note. But, like I said, I tend to use a device until it actually dies and can't be used ever again! LOL.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-15-2020 11:13 PM
    Very nice...thank you! I just read an article, and yes, you're right, the FE is a bit of a "lighter" version, but apparently offers a lot of value, to the point where they felt it would take sales away from the S20 model(s). But, when you flood the market with similar models, look to cover every section of the market, and when you comes out with new models every week, LOL, that's what you get. I guess they target a new phone every year, right? If that's true, how long before everyone starts talking about the S21? LOL.

Regarding the S20 and the FE, I also read there is a difference in size -- the S20 comes in at 6.2 inches, the FE is 6.5 inches, S20+ is 6.7 inches, and the S20 Ultra is the biggest at 6.9 inches.

I was flirting with -- simply a mental debate in my head, LOL -- between the S20 Ultra and the Note 20 Ultra. I never really understood the difference between Galaxy and the Note, but I heard some mobile warriors I know swear by the Note. But, like I said, I tend to use a device until it actually dies and can't be used ever again! LOL.
    You're right in that Samsung likes to cover *all* of its bases with different phones at each price point; and so it's hard to figure out which one you really want!

The only downside I see with Samsung is that their phones are getting bigger and bigger! The S10, at 6.1", is the biggest phone I've ever gotten.

Yes, there are a ton of Note users and lovers here in AC too! Lots of people will get Note phones. I think, for me anyway, the only difference is the S Pen and perhaps a bigger battery? But I really don't pay much attention to that line, so I'm not the one to ask about that! Haha.

Let us know what you end up deciding!
    11-16-2020 08:24 AM
    You're right in that Samsung likes to cover *all* of its bases with different phones at each price point; and so it's hard to figure out which one you really want!

The only downside I see with Samsung is that their phones are getting bigger and bigger! The S10, at 6.1", is the biggest phone I've ever gotten.

Yes, there are a ton of Note users and lovers here in AC too! Lots of people will get Note phones. I think, for me anyway, the only difference is the S Pen and perhaps a bigger battery? But I really don't pay much attention to that line, so I'm not the one to ask about that! Haha.

Let us know what you end up deciding!

Thanks! So, I actually like a bigger phone, bigger screen, keys, etc. Due to a medical condition, my fingers don't work so great all the time, and for the longest time I HAD to stay with a physical keyboard. I finally moved to an S8 + only because it was the last Galaxy model where you could get a Samsung physical keyboard that slid onto the bottom of the device. Anyway, I've been with the S8 + now for a year plus. It works, works fine. I have no idea why I was thinking of getting a new device -- simply for a new OS? More support? Security patches? I have no idea! LOL.

As I said, I haven't taken the most recent "update" because I am worried about things changing, not working, etc.

I think about upgrading, I read, research, etc. -- but I never do anything! LOL. By the time I might be ready and would really consider doing it...they came out with a new phone!!! LOL.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-16-2020 10:59 AM
    Thanks! So, I actually like a bigger phone, bigger screen, keys, etc. Due to a medical condition, my fingers don't work so great all the time, and for the longest time I HAD to stay with a physical keyboard. I finally moved to an S8 + only because it was the last Galaxy model where you could get a Samsung physical keyboard that slid onto the bottom of the device. Anyway, I've been with the S8 + now for a year plus. It works, works fine. I have no idea why I was thinking of getting a new device -- simply for a new OS? More support? Security patches? I have no idea! LOL.

As I said, I haven't taken the most recent "update" because I am worried about things changing, not working, etc.

I think about upgrading, I read, research, etc. -- but I never do anything! LOL. By the time I might be ready and would really consider doing it...they came out with a new phone!!! LOL.
    It's okay to be cautious and to want to stick with what works for you! I totally get that! How are you finding that slide-on physical keyboard? Could you please post a picture of it? It sounds so nifty!

Wanting a new OS or experience is a definite reason for when I upgrade! I can definitely see what you are saying there. It's nice to experience a new way of doing the same thing, you know?
    11-17-2020 07:46 AM
    It's okay to be cautious and to want to stick with what works for you! I totally get that! How are you finding that slide-on physical keyboard? Could you please post a picture of it? It sounds so nifty!

Wanting a new OS or experience is a definite reason for when I upgrade! I can definitely see what you are saying there. It's nice to experience a new way of doing the same thing, you know?
    I am not only a tech *****, but I am also a creature of habit, LOL. Not really being tech savvy ultimately becomes a big problem. You can't even perform basic quick fixes, solve problems, etc. Anyway, getting something new poses two issues to deal with -- the learning curve of something new, and the problems that arise (ie: updates). The slide-on physical keyboard was a necessity for me. It works. Not very "technical" per se, it's only "button based" and not electronic in any way, shape, or form. When you use it, obviously it "shortens" the screen area that you are using, seeing, etc. But that was OK, I was only using it for text messages. I never got into the voice texts or voice to text feature. The biggest issue I had is that I also/used to use a "mophie" power pack/battery pack, with the clip -- so that was no-go. Now, what I do is carry the mophie around with me, or more often than not, I use one of those freebie portable chargers, LOL. Anyway, it's called a "Keyboard Cover Case" -- and -- I left it in the office!!! LOL.

Here's a link to the original that I bought from Samsung:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=baXg8rSi

Here's a pic that I have:Does anyone see/feel the need to upgrade to a new Galaxy?-images.jpg
    Kizzy Catwoman and Morty2264 like this.
    11-17-2020 08:40 AM
    I am not only a tech *****, but I am also a creature of habit, LOL. Not really being tech savvy ultimately becomes a big problem. You can't even perform basic quick fixes, solve problems, etc. Anyway, getting something new poses two issues to deal with -- the learning curve of something new, and the problems that arise (ie: updates). The slide-on physical keyboard was a necessity for me. It works. Not very "technical" per se, it's only "button based" and not electronic in any way, shape, or form. When you use it, obviously it "shortens" the screen area that you are using, seeing, etc. But that was OK, I was only using it for text messages. I never got into the voice texts or voice to text feature. The biggest issue I had is that I also/used to use a "mophie" power pack/battery pack, with the clip -- so that was no-go. Now, what I do is carry the mophie around with me, or more often than not, I use one of those freebie portable chargers, LOL. Anyway, it's called a "Keyboard Cover Case" -- and -- I left it in the office!!! LOL.

Here's a link to the original that I bought from Samsung:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=S_WPKiJR

Here's a pic that I have:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	328956
    That's so cool! Thank you so much for posting the picture! It looks like a really big and beautiful BlackBerry!

I get what you are saying: the keyboard is good for texting and that's really all you need it for! I'm still not as into voice-to-text as I thought I would be - but I'm getting better at using it and it has come in handy for me on a number of occasions!

You're right - old habits die hard!
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    11-22-2020 10:16 PM
    That's so cool! Thank you so much for posting the picture! It looks like a really big and beautiful BlackBerry!

I get what you are saying: the keyboard is good for texting and that's really all you need it for! I'm still not as into voice-to-text as I thought I would be - but I'm getting better at using it and it has come in handy for me on a number of occasions!

You're right - old habits die hard!

Thanks! I was a BlackBerry guy since the original model came out. I stayed and stayed and stayed until my company didn't want to keep the BES up and running...just for me! LOL. So I went with the original BlackBerry Android model...anyway...

So, due to a medical condition, my fingers, and sometimes my hands, don't work 100%...so a physical keyboard used to be a must for me. I can use my S8 plus in the mornings, and sometimes into the afternoons, but a physical keyboard was always easier, better, etc., for me to use overall -- yes, just for texting and emails.

I am getting more and more used to the lack of a physical keyboard, but at times, it's hard. I am not anywhere near as proficient on the glass as I am on the keyboard. Plus, the auto-correct/dictionary is not easy to build. I did that over many years with BB, and only once or twice did I lose the dictionary.

The voice to text I am not using, although I am using voice messages on What'sApp. Most of the time I want to send a text is because I don't want to talk out loud, LOL.
    Morty2264 and Rose4uKY like this.
    11-26-2020 03:10 PM
33 12