Samsung Galaxy S8 leaks

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S8′s intelligent assistant might be called Bixby

I had read somewhere about the possibility of the note 8 releasing alongside the s8 line. Then again, these are mostly speculations from "trusted sources" I've read. I'm just waiting to see what actually comes out and when they do get released.

Kontos

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone know if the S8 will support the Band 66/AWS 3 spectrum? On Freedom Mobile in Canada and that's their only offering to get LTE. Otherwise stuck with 3G

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think the S8 will be huge technological improvement over the S7. Samsung is really trying hard to mitigate its Note 7 misadventure. There will be some serious improvements in the S8, like the Artificial Intelligence, Optical Fingerprint sensor (that will be integrated under the display), Dual rear cameras capable of recording 4K videos with modern DSLR-like camera effects, an 8 MP selfie shooter, etc. Check out the news below:

Galaxy S8 – Rumors, Specs and the Release Date - Digital Evolution

It's fine and dandy that Samsung continues to push the envelope in terms of features and capabilities, but I consider them to be "on probation".
The S8 is expected to provide a stellar user experience with its Assistant feature. To me, processing power, ram, battery life, camera quality don't need to be way better than the S7. However, whatever package they come at us with, it is expected to work and be the most balanced in terms of its users. At times, a step back to add balance or a modest approach turns out to be best.

The spec conscious might look at an S8 and may determine that it doesn't warrant an upgrade from the S7. That's ok. The bottom line is that whatever Samsung gives us, it needs to work well. The worst thing they could do is try to cram all the latest and best tech into a device and end up with a bunch of "flavor of the month" features and a fragmented experience.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's fine and dandy that Samsung continues to push the envelope in terms of features and capabilities, but I consider them to be "on probation".
The S8 is expected to provide a stellar user experience with its Assistant feature. To me, processing power, ram, battery life, camera quality don't need to be way better than the S7. However, whatever package they come at us with, it is expected to work and be the most balanced in terms of its users. At times, a step back to add balance or a modest approach turns out to be best.

The spec conscious might look at an S8 and may determine that it doesn't warrant an upgrade from the S7. That's ok. The bottom line is that whatever Samsung gives us, it needs to work well. The worst thing they could do is try to cram all the latest and best tech into a device and end up with a bunch of "flavor of the month" features and a fragmented experience.
Good points but I have a lot of concerns about the half baked assistant clone which seems to completely miss the point. Right now Samsung isn't in need of more NEW features, but they are in need of refinement and one huge boat they keep missing is getting on board with the standard tech most other devices can utilize, such as DayDream, etc. 2017 is in dire need of some refinement and polish. The throw everything at the wall strategy isn't just unhelpful, it makes the experience feel like a mess.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Good points but I have a lot of concerns about the half baked assistant clone which seems to completely miss the point. Right now Samsung isn't in need of more NEW features, but they are in need of refinement and one huge boat they keep missing is getting on board with the standard tech most other devices can utilize, such as DayDream, etc. 2017 is in dire need of some refinement and polish. The throw everything at the wall strategy isn't just unhelpful, it makes the experience feel like a mess.

I couldn't agree with you more. When I got my free Gear VR for purchasing an S7 Edge, I merely thought I had to do 1 update and pop it in the headset. No, I had to update gear, Oculus VR, create an account, verify by email, retrieve my bonus content, etc. I couldn't be bothered so I put it back in the box. I'm glad it was free.

Experience is everything. In 2017, we're forging into more integrated devices such as Google home, smart appliances and other smart accessories. What good are they, if the device that was intended to control them is a mess?

The Google slogan, "It just works" should apply to everyone. Why are we still trying to figure out a formula for the best battery life? Why are we trying to understand Samsung's background services and how they affect battery performance? Why do we need package disabler to free up ram consumed by apps and services we don't use? Just make it work, and allow us to trust that we're getting the most out of our battery as possible. Turning BT, Wifi, NFC or location off and adjusting brightness is all I'm willing to do.

If the Assistant isn't ready. Don't force it. We can certainly go another 6 months or year to get a great experience.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Glad you held off and waited? Waiting for S8 or Note 8?

Yeah. Just not sure what's holding back Samsung from getting a premium radio in their handsets. Probably the biggest gripe I have against them. Motos and iPhones have always had better reception on any network.
Burns up battery pulling in weak signal. The signal is what it is.

Speaking of Pixel.. For many VZW users it does NOT "just work". Ironically, same is true of iPhone 7. Both have reception and call dropping issues among many users.

rdcrds

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I have read 2 different screen sizes. 1st i heard 5.2 and 5.5 and now i hear 5.7 and 6.2. I think they should just make a 5.2 and a 6.2 this way small screen lovers have theres and people like me who like large screen sizes get the 6.2/ But i wonder what the sizes will be.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I have read 2 different screen sizes. 1st i heard 5.2 and 5.5 and now i hear 5.7 and 6.2. I think they should just make a 5.2 and a 6.2 this way small screen lovers have theres and people like me who like large screen sizes get the 6.2/ But i wonder what the sizes will be.

If Samsung utilizes the entire front of the phone for the screen like the leaks are showing, in reality I guess you can have a 6.2 inch screen size phone that is roughly the same size as the S7 Edge.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
If Samsung utilizes the entire front of the phone for the screen like the leaks are showing, in reality I guess you can have a 6.2 inch screen size phone that is roughly the same size as the S7 Edge.
I want my next one to be a little wider than this s7 edge. The Note 7 was the perfect size. Slight rounded edges, wider.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I like 5.5inch but must be flat. The curves make me dizzy. I read a lot.

rdcrds

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
If the curves bother you then you need to go to a differnt phone cause all rumors point to no more flat screens for the S line or Note line

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

Each generation of curve gets more refined. The S7 Edge was better than the S6, the Note 7 better than the S7 Edge. So I expect the S8 will perfect it.

There will always be those that just prefer a flat screen. But for those more on the fence, I think this may push them over.

tonydroid99

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
I think most liked how the curved screen was done on the Note 7 better than the Edge 7, I know I did. The Edge screen was too narrow and too pronounced of a curved screen. It was a little too distorting for me

The Note 7 had a more flat screen with less curvature on the edges, hopefully the S8 will end up more like the Note 7. I wouldn't mind the S8 larger screen model to be like the Note 7, with less bezel and a larger screen, would give more screen space after taking into account the curved edges.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Note 7 was better. If the curve is made even smaller (less proud) it may not be intolerable. It's either that or V20 or learn to use an iphone. I prefer Samsung or it least I did b4. I had different problems with my Note 7 so was happy to get rid of it. Screen was not sensitive enough for me

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

Each generation of curve gets more refined. The S7 Edge was better than the S6, the Note 7 better than the S7 Edge. So I expect the S8 will perfect it.

There will always be those that just prefer a flat screen. But for those more on the fence, I think this may push them over.
Note 7 was fantastic curve design, not very pronounced. Very interested in seeing the Note 8 if it arrives this year as rumorws

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
It amazes me though that they say this might replace the Note line, but, I thought the S-Pen was the majority of the allure, right?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
It amazes me though that they say this might replace the Note line, but, I thought the S-Pen was the majority of the allure, right?
I strongly believe they won't get rid of that Note line. They may rename it, but it's a huge draw and a Lot of people absolutely love it, and from what I've seen even after going through the Note 7 craze, a great number are willing to dive right into the new one if it arrives. I love the Note line. First long term experience I had with it was Note 3 and I was hooked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis