Will you miss the 3.5mm jack?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
So what about those that use our headphone jack for our business...like using the Square Card reader that plugs into the jack?
I bet they'll come up with (if they don't already) have some adapter to allow the square reader to work with a usb-c

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I think it will make finding a case and screen protectors very hard. I'm a firefighter. I have to have both those things. I throw my phone into my fire gear pockets. It needs to be protected.
I would have a case on it regardless so if I have to lose a little screen area to do so, so be it. But at this point it's still wait and see what is announced and when. Hoping in February

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I would have a case on it regardless so if I have to lose a little screen area to do so, so be it. But at this point it's still wait and see what is announced and when. Hoping in February

True. But I had to try several cases and screen protectors before I found ones that would work with my S7 Edge. I spent a lot before I finally found the ones that would work together without taking the screen protector off, and still protect the phone against drops. It was a pain. I'm just not sure how that all will work with a bezel-less one.

stang6790

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
They will have an USB to 3.5mm adapter just like Motorola, so the only problem the lack of a headphone jack will cause is being able to charge and use headphones at the same time.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
True. But I had to try several cases and screen protectors before I found ones that would work with my S7 Edge. I spent a lot before I finally found the ones that would work together without taking the screen protector off, and still protect the phone against drops. It was a pain. I'm just not sure how that all will work with a bezel-less one.
I have a black Otterbox Symmetry on my S7 edge

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
The 3.5 mm jack being removed is a horrible idea. I still plug my phone into my reciever from the 1990's. There is not better speakers than my klipsch forte ii.

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a black Otterbox Symmetry on my S7 edge

I have a bodyguardz case. It was the best one I could find that didn't peel the protector. Do you have a screen protector on it? I'm thinking both will be very hard to find for the S8.

freightguy1979

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Not sold yet. I just ditched my Galaxy S5 for a V20. Because they keep removing features like the 3.5mm jack.

The removable battery was a big deal for me. I don't care what people say that batteries have come along way blah blah blah.

Yes they have. But they have not made it indestructible or life lasting. They do fail as I replaced one on my S5.

The displays look great. But again burn in can be an issue. Another reason why I went LG.

Honestly I'm disappointed the route Samsung is taking. I had and S4 and S5. Was gonna do an S7 but because of those items I described above and a few more is why I jumped ship.

Gonna take them some big huge changes to get me back. Honestly I think this V20 is 100 times better than the Samsung and glad I made the switch.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Gonna take them some big huge changes to get me back. Honestly I think this V20 is 100 times better than the Samsung and glad I made the switch.

Than your S5? Of course it is. It's 2 generations younger. For those who've used both the S7 and V20, the V20 is simply an inferior experience.

Personally I'm skipping the S8. Right now I don't see any compelling reason to move up. Maybe they'll see the blunder and bring back the jack on the S9. The move to wireless is a bad one at this point because wireless audio still isn't capable enough to compete with wired ones in terms of fidelity at the same price points. Although Samsung's move to start selling their own lineup of Bluetooth headsets have something to do with this.

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Than your S5? Of course it is. It's 2 generations younger. For those who've used both the S7 and V20, the V20 is simply an inferior experience.

Personally I'm skipping the S8. Right now I don't see any compelling reason to move up. Maybe they'll see the blunder and bring back the jack on the S9. The move to wireless is a bad one at this point because wireless audio still isn't capable enough to compete with wired ones in terms of fidelity at the same price points. Although Samsung's move to start selling their own lineup of Bluetooth headsets have something to do with this.

Yup. Like I said, I think I'll be skipping it too. I am interested to see what they do with the Note though.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Well since the Note now follows in the style of the S line, waiting on the Note might just cause more frustration.

Personally, I like the direction Samsung is taking. Instead of just releasing the same boring phone year after year, they are moving forward.

Suddenly just about every OEM is moving towards less bezel, glass designs. Samsung must be onto something.

I hate bezels and want less wasted space and more screen, tired of ear bud wires getting caught on stuff, and feel that wrap around displays will make the S8 tighter and LESS fragile, not more. But will absolutely require a case.

But that's just me. I can't wait for this.

Last edited:

Indecyfer

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
I have been considering getting Bluetooth cans, but I don't have them yet, and I plug my phone into headphones, earphones, and tabletop speakers.

Will I need to get Bluetooth alternatives for all of my existing audio equipment, or buy some USB type-C adapter? Because I charge when playing music quite often.

I think the only reason this decision was made was because Apple made it first... But oh well, I'll adapt. Because doubtless, it will spread like a fever. In a year, almost no device will come with a jack any longer.

I appreciate the switch to type-C, kind of... But this? Oh well.

Been looking at getting Sennheisers anyway. :p

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have been considering getting Bluetooth cans, but I don't have them yet, and I plug my phone into headphones, earphones, and tabletop speakers.

Will I need to get Bluetooth alternatives for all of my existing audio equipment, or buy some USB type-C adapter? Because I charge when playing music quite often.

I think the only reason this decision was made was because Apple made it first... But oh well, I'll adapt. Because doubtless, it will spread like a fever. In a year, almost no device will come with a jack any longer.

I appreciate the switch to type-C, kind of... But this? Oh well.

Been looking at getting Sennheisers anyway. :p

I bet you're right. All the phone seem to head in the same direction. Just not so sure I like that direction. I like what I have now. And the type-c I had with my Note 7 was okay, but what a pain to switch everything over when I had SO many of the other kind of plugs. I love new phones. But I'm thinking I will have my S7 Edge for a while now....

cmucodemonkey

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Yes, very much so. Here's the main problem I see with bluetooth headphones. Having the bluetooth on causes the phone's battery to drain much faster than wired audio. When your USB port on the phone is the only port, then you cannot charge the draining battery and listen to music at the same time. Or you could invest in a series of dongles to split that port, but I question how well it would charge the phone after being split. Perhaps more importantly, who wants to carry around a dongle on top of the charging cord and headphones you already have?

Seems to me like smart phones are doing more and more in our daily lives and taking away physical ports on them is making them more like laptops or tablets with all the accessories you end up taking with you.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, very much so. Here's the main problem I see with bluetooth headphones. Having the bluetooth on causes the phone's battery to drain much faster than wired audio. When your USB port on the phone is the only port, then you cannot charge the draining battery and listen to music at the same time. Or you could invest in a series of dongles to split that port, but I question how well it would charge the phone after being split. Perhaps more importantly, who wants to carry around a dongle on top of the charging cord and headphones you already have?

Seems to me like smart phones are doing more and more in our daily lives and taking away physical ports on them is making them more like laptops or tablets with all the accessories you end up taking with you.

100% agree. There are millions of wired headphones in the world. Why all of a sudden companies are removing the headphone jack befuddles me.

Plus, if it is really going away, then there is yet one more device you have to ensure is charged up.

Really hoping Samsung keeps the jack on the S8 and N8.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I want a headphone jack. I often use Bluetooth but it isn't loud enough if there is a lot of background noise.