3500 mAh battery for S8 Plus :(

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The Galaxy Note 7 disaster is forcing Samsung to make the Galaxy S8 worse – BGR

Forbes Welcome

Why couldn't they at least use the same battery as the S7 edge? 3600 mAh & few (if any) safety issues.

That, OR design the battery compartment properly to house the battery properly.

Stupid move on Samsungs part. Doesn't matter if it's 3700 mAh or 2800mAh if the dimensions are not designed properly. Hopefully it is not garbage battery life like the S6 was! Man, was the S6 terrible with battery life, worse than my regular S7 which I disliked the battery life.

I'm getting the S8 Plus but will be ticked if it has crappy life. I really hope they don't do something else stupid like remove the Micro SD slot again.

Why does Samsung make stupid decisions sometimes?

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind that the gains from the more efficient CPU will probably be offset by the bigger & higher resolution screen.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
100mAh isn't a significant difference that may decrease the battery performance that way.
the software optimization still has a bigger effect.
It is still a smaller battery.
Software optimization and the larger battery would be better.
They should have more room to work with after removing physical home button.
The never ending desire to be thin is irritating as thinner doesn't really add anything but removes battery capacity.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Why couldn't they at least use the same battery as the S7 edge? 3600 mAh & few (if any) safety issues.

I think the 3,500mAh battery should be fine. I could be wrong, but lets start off being positive and if it turns out to be like the S6 or worse then we can cross that bridge. With the addition of a more efficient processor and more 'optimised' software. I think SOT will be north of 4 hours. :)

If a 5.5" iPhone 7 can get great battery life with a 2900 mAh battery. Lets be hopeful Samsung can do the same but with +600mAh more! :D

fordhamtroll

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
3500 mah battery for a 6.2 quad HD screen is just not enough. IMHO, it's not even close to being enough on a Samsung flagship. I'm sure we will hear how power efficient the new chips/processor are, but that won't do much to give us users a consistent 6+ hours of SOT over a an entire day. I have the s7 edge from April 2016 - 5.5 quad hd with a 3600 mah battery. I have turned a ton of things off and can just barely hit 5 hours sot with about 8 or 9 hours of total run time before it needs to be charged. Also, battery life has gotten progressively worse over time.

As far as the 7 plus is concerned, yes, it does have a 2900 mah battery, and yes the screen is also 5.5 inches like the s7 edge, but it's full hd, not quad hd. More importantly, Apple optimized the hell out of its software and hardware, unlike Samsung/Google etc. I am by no means an Apple fanboy, and while I did have the 7 plus for a few months and can attest to it having the absolute best battery life out of any phone (Huawei Mate 9 included), it's a boring phone otherwise.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is still a smaller battery.
Software optimization and the larger battery would be better.
They should have more room to work with after removing physical home button.
The never ending desire to be thin is irritating as thinner doesn't really add anything but removes battery capacity.

In essence yes you're right but in reality no one in real-world use is going to notice a difference in 100 mAh.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
In essence yes you're right but in reality no one in real-world use is going to notice a difference in 100 mAh.
So at what point do you notice?
150mAh, 200mAh, 400mAh?
I contend that there is no real world benefit to making the phone a mm thinner.
Especially when a significant percentage of phones are secured in cases.

Even if 100mAh more battery adds only 30 minutes of screen time I think it is important.
most users indicate battery life is one of the most important characteristics of a phone.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
150mAh, 200mAh, 400mAh?

Even if 100mAh more battery adds only 30 minutes of screen time I think it is important.
most users indicate battery life is one of the most important characteristics of a phone.

This S8 isn't that much thinner than the S7. The company seems to be playing it safer this year due to the Note 7 disaster. It's unfortunate, but it's the way it is. If it's gets me through my day, I'll be happy to slap that QC on it and keep it moving.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
150mAh, 200mAh, 400mAh?

As I said you are right it does add more but it isn't that big a deal (at least to most). If they put in a 1,000 mAh battery instead of a 3K like previous phones then I could see the worry but .. that isn't the case here.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
As I said you are right it does add more but it isn't that big a deal (at least to most). If they put in a 1,000 mAh battery instead of a 3K like previous phones then I could see the worry but .. that isn't the case here.

Would definitely agree, was speaking to some friends of mine yesterday about their phones and i asked, whats their battery size. None of them even knew. They just presume if the phone is newer it should be better :) So the general public probably wouldn't notice that much difference even if the battery is slightly smaller than it should be (3,500mAh vs maybe 4,000mAh?).

Its only us here who are really big tech enthusiasts who examine all the numbers, check SOT and do various battery drain and charge tests. Love getting 'deep' in all the numbers and comparing :D I think as long as the 'average' user can get their phone to last the whole day, they are very happy. :)

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
A few rumors ago Samsung was alluding to a major change in display design which may involve lower power consumption. That, combined with 27% power reduction (if I remember right) the 10nm architecture brings could be a game changer.
It's certain that Samsung knows that all eyes will be on them after the Note 7(RIP) train wreck and they will be very careful about over promising and under delivering...

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am really not that worried. My S7E lasted all day. And especially in this day and age of wireless charging, there are so many ways to get some quick juice to the phone. A quick wireless charger at home, work or in the car can give you enough to get you though most anything. Not really worried about it at all... And that is with all the battery improvements through software and hardware...

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Any word on if it will support the new Quick Charge 4.0 standard?

The Snapdragon 835 supports Quick Charge 4.0 so it should. However, the 835 also supports Bluetooth 5 but I've read that the S8/S8+ will support Bluetooth 4.2...these are all rumors of course. We'll find out tomorrow.